Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The worst deer hunting states in the country.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    Staff writer?

Yeah, NY sucks for anything outdoor related. Nobody should waste time and money coming here.
    Fitch is right go somewhere else!

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
      DakotaMan -
      I have hunted in the state of Georgia, and it is a beautiful state, even with snow on the ground.
      What game did you hunt in Georgia?
      Did you get what you were after?

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

What game did you hunt in Georgia?
        Did you get what you were after?
        Deer and hogs.
        Yes and no.

Comment

1 buck state. Looked at maybe going out of state. Even with lesser ground now, we still pop deer that arent much of an embarrassment.

Seems silly to drive for hours, freeze, for a couple seasons to learn a new area that may not have deer as good

Why my bud gave up hunting deer w fam back home.

Nicer weather and better looking/ tasting deer here. Tag is cheaper too

Comment

Proly just hunt whitetails at home, if going out of state, hunt something else

Comment

Killed my biggest buck with snow on the ground. First morning of snow he just stood still. My boss knows if it snow during deer season I ain’t coming in.

Comment

Staff writer?

Yeah, NY sucks for anything outdoor related. Nobody should waste time and money coming here.
                Thanks Fitch for the heads up, I knew the deer hunting is really bad all those hunters throughout the state had to be wrong. Lots of big deer and beautiful country! The place sucks!

Comment

I think when you put together any list ranking anything your already wrong. New York could be on a different list as the number one destination for deer hunters , just about every deer Hunting experience Can be had there. From hunting big farm bread bucks in the southern tier to wilderness bucks of the Adirondacks the place has it all. Same for Maine on the list as well, when did hard hunting make it bad? There are some big bucks in Maine. Anyone who every got to experience the PA northern migration of deer hunters and the excitement of a new buck season would say that Pennsylvania is a great state to hunt deer .The list wasn’t worth the time it took to read .

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
                    Thanks Fitch for the heads up, I knew the deer hunting is really bad all those hunters throughout the state had to be wrong. Lots of big deer and beautiful country! The place sucks!
                    That was less of an article and more like disguised infomercial for QDMA. Note the anonymous byline and plug for the Texas ranch at the end.

At the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg in 2019 we listened to Realtree's Dave Blanton for a bit. He flat out admitted they don't bother filming in states like NY and PA because it's too hard to get footage in a few days.

Comment

That was less of an article and more like disguised infomercial for QDMA. Note the anonymous byline and plug for the Texas ranch at the end.

At the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg in 2019 we listened to Realtree's Dave Blanton for a bit. He flat out admitted they don't bother filming in states like NY and PA because it's too hard to get footage in a few days.
                      I used to buy every Real Tree "Monster Bucks" video that came out. I think I got up to number 10.

Blanton is correct about one thing. Getting footage on NY is probably tough.
                      What Blanton "isn't" saying, is that all that fantastic footage they get easily in Texas, Iowa and Kansas are on deer managed properties.

I know of one ranch in Texas where the hunt alone is $10k. Trophy fees of over $10k aren't uncommon.

One fellow killed a $10k deer and was considering going back for a $12k deer. Plus tips, taxidermy and travel he probably spent $45k to $50k.
                      He also told the guide to save two more spots for him next year. He wanted to bring his 2 children.

"Real Tree" doesn't like "working" for deer.
                      Last edited by FirstBubba; 05-24-2020, 09:41 AM.

Comment

For all the downstate NYC people stay out of the North Country. There are no deer there. You will get lost and wind up being bear snack. If you want to hunt go to PA or travel to Michigan. Much better hunting there. JMO

Comment

Interesting read...I know nothing about hunting in the eastern part of the US, other than a little deer hunting in South Carolina at a friends place.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad