Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The worst deer hunting states in the country.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The worst deer hunting states in the country.

Do you agree with these rankings?
    By some measures, New York comes out the worst deer hunting state in the country.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/top-1...unting-states/

No I don't

Comment

Danbo-
      That's very informative.
      Thanks for taking the time to explain.
      We never knew that.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
        Danbo-
        That's very informative.
        Thanks for taking the time to explain.
        We never knew that.
        Your welcome. A more thorough response will be coming in a few days.

What brand and load do you use in your 38 snubby?

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

Your welcome. A more thorough response will be coming in a few days.

What brand and load do you use in your 38 snubby?
          Hey, at least this time he started an actual outdoor related thread. LOL!

Comment

Explains why so many hunters from New York travel to Ohio to deer hunt. I've always wanted the challenge of canoeing into the ADK and coming out with a big buck. Living and hunting in Ohio will spoil a deer hunter real quick.

Comment

I suppose it depends on what you consider good hunting. I know we all have varying expectations. Deer hunting in a nice fresh snow is one of my favorite pastimes. Deer really look beautiful against that pristine backdrop and of course you can see them so much better than without the snow. I think hunting with over 15 other hunters in the same square mile might put a different twist on hunting for me. On some of my favorite days, I've covered as much as 20 miles tracking and of course I've never had to worry about hitting as many as 2 or 3 neighboring hunters with each shot.

Comment

DakotaMan -
                I have hunted in the state of Georgia, and it is a beautiful state, even with snow on the ground.

Comment

Danbo -
                  Buffalo Bore 150-gr hard cast full wad cutter.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                    I suppose it depends on what you consider good hunting. I know we all have varying expectations. Deer hunting in a nice fresh snow is one of my favorite pastimes. Deer really look beautiful against that pristine backdrop and of course you can see them so much better than without the snow. I think hunting with over 15 other hunters in the same square mile might put a different twist on hunting for me. On some of my favorite days, I've covered as much as 20 miles tracking and of course I've never had to worry about hitting as many as 2 or 3 neighboring hunters with each shot.
                    I've never had much luck hunting in the snow. It's so unusual here in Alabama, I believe it makes the deer hide in thickets and stay put.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

I've never had much luck hunting in the snow. It's so unusual here in Alabama, I believe it makes the deer hide in thickets and stay put.
                      I hunt public land exclusively and never had a scenario that you describe of 2 or three hunters I have to worry about here in NY.
                      Last edited by Danbo; 05-22-2020, 04:10 AM.

Comment

I have hunted with snow and without and probably have better success without snow. Even tracking a buck in fresh snow will probably wear you out before he wars out. Fresh snow is nice until it warms a little and starts falling off the branches. Crusted snow no good. I have hunted public and private land over the past many years. But, remember, when I was young the Country was only 125 million or so - big difference. I also think the hunters of the past were better skilled than present day hunters even without all the gadgets that are available today. I hunted a lot before Thinsulate and GoreTex.
                        Made many canoe trips in the Adirondacks for deer. We also went far in and camped for a few days so the day hunters would move the deer and push them toward us. Jim

Comment

Cold weather has never been a problem with me as I've always had good clothes. Going out in the snow was what I had to do and became the norm for me. I guess the vision of a clean new cover of snow triggers "deer hunt" in my mind and I have always looked forward to it.

New York has some of the most beautiful outdoor scenery I've seen and I can imagine that it would be a wonderful place to spend time. If that is our worst, I'd say we are in pretty good shape. I also find that deer hunting expectations are what you get used to for most of us. Some hunt in blue bird weather and some hunt the frozen mountain slopes. Some scan long range basins and others get a dozen guys together and chase deer in front of shooters and some sit in a tree stand for three weeks at a time. There are many ways to do it and many places to do it and they are all nice as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Staff writer?

Yeah, NY sucks for anything outdoor related. Nobody should waste time and money coming here.

Comment

I hunted in N.Y. state for many years when the hunter success rate for deer was one in six.
                              It is now 51%.
                              Last edited by 99explorer; 05-22-2020, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
                                by Buckshott00
                                "at what point is it quenched?"
                                When it turns to looting and burning. No one is questioning that BHR. What I'm asking you to realize...
                                Today, 01:35 PM
                              • Jackbooted Thugs
                                by Buckshott00
                                I know tensions are high. I know there's a curfew in effect, but...

If you fire (even pepper / paintball rounds) at someone on their porch...
                                06-01-2020, 02:37 AM
                                by Buckshott00
                                We can agree on all those things or none of them. The beauty of love our country is that even if you accept the current Pres. anyone can still disagree...
                                Today, 01:27 PM
                                by Buckshott00
                                Most of the people across the country are non-violent. In Michigan I watched people get right in the face and scream at MSP. The police restrained themselves...
                                Today, 01:19 PM
                              • Reply to I'm just going to leave this here...
                                by Buckshott00
                                What's being nasty? Truth hurts eh?...
                                Today, 01:10 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X