Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats a good deer rifle for my son? Hes a beginner. Would a .30-.30 be to much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    It will be good!

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    It will be good!

Leave a comment:

• lordrene
    replied
    You should get a ruger 223 mini 14 with hornady ballistics that expand when i was 8 i killed a doe and spike first shot ran like 20 yards and second shot 10 15 yards first shot was at 30 yards second at close range like 15 20 yards that hornady made an enter and exit hole with huge hole in rib cage but 3030 is very good i could shoot that too but i chose.223 because i had practiced an kind of attached to that rifle

Leave a comment:

• themattlyone
    replied
    marlin 336 how much would a limbsaver help with the recoil. I am a new shooter but have a bum shoulder.
    Do you think the limbsaver would help decrease the recoil as much as limbsaver states up to half?

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with Edward J. Palumbo answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• hunting man
    replied
    oh and it is very acurate at 50 yards try and hit them in the shoulder or right behind it doesnt go throught it very often

Leave a comment:

• hunting man
    replied
    243 becase it has little recoil, its just enough to kill a deer, but it isnt a good rifle for longrange, not a good blood trail but they usually go down in sight( within 20 yards). I got five deer all bucks with a 243 when 12 loved but went to a biger cal for larger game

Leave a comment:

• 3030forlife
    replied
    I own a marlin 336 in 30-30, it is an amazing gun. With 125 grain bullets you can kill varmints, a 150 grain bullet will flatten a deer, and a 170 grain bullet will kill up to black bear.

Leave a comment:

• wyo hunter
    replied
    I have a model 710 30-06 which i got cheap and it don't kick much but i don't think a 30-30 would be to much. But a 30-06 is a good all around gun that will take anything you put your sites on and so would a 30-30 but its range is limited. Another gun you can't go wrong with is the 280 or the 270. A 243 is good for deer. But really it doesn't matter what kind of gun as long as you have good shot placement.

Leave a comment:

• PotterMan96
    replied
    Try a .243 they have range but they don't have a big kick.

Leave a comment:

• Huntandtrap09
    replied
    i think 30-30 is perfect

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    If you already have a 30-30 its perfect. If you are buying him a rifle, buy something a little more versataile. With a 30-30 his range is limited. That is fine for a beginner, but he won't be a beginner forever.

Leave a comment:

• hjohn429
    replied
    I use a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag and I killed my first 2 deer with it. Both deer dropped within 60 yards of where they were shot. I think a 30-30 or a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington would make great deer rifles.

Leave a comment:

• em17
    replied
    I am 12 but i shot my first deer when i was 11 and i had a 30-30 then and when that deer walked out into the field and i shot it i didnt even notice the kick.i thought it was a good gun and it was a lever astion so i had more safteys.now i have my own gun and it is a 243 and it has killed every deer i have shot at and i think it would be a good choce also.

Leave a comment:

• lovetohunt
    replied
    Depending on how old he is I would go with a .270 or if he is older a .300 win mag. or .300 wsm.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad