Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats a good deer rifle for my son? Hes a beginner. Would a .30-.30 be to much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golfing Sportsman
    replied
    other virtues of a 30.30, i'm assuming it is a lever like a model 94, is that it is light and compact, which makes it easier for a youngster to carry, handle, and shoot comfortably. The only downfall is that many 30.30s have hard plastic or metal butt plates that can bite the shoulder if he is practicing with only a t-shirt on. Padd it a little bit or add a rubber recoil pad and it should work out great.

Leave a comment:

• Southtexan
    replied
    Im 13 and i took my first buck, 11 points, with a
    300 win. mag. I was 9. That thing kicked so hard, but I was so excited I didnt even feel it. I think a
    30-30 would be great. If not, a .223 kicks like a bb gun but it definitely does the job fine.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    As his first deer rifle, I presented my son with a well used Winchester Model 94 chambered for the .30-30 and equipped with a William receiver sight. He was (is) delighted. I handload, so the first loads he used were assembled with light (110 gr. RN) bullets, but he quickly transitioned to 150 and 170-grain bullets.
    A Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag is another good choice in dense brush and, if you handload, you can provide him with affordable light loads for plinking and practice. Your son is a fortunate lad. Best wishes to both of you.

Leave a comment:

• Whats a good deer rifle for my son? Hes a beginner. Would a .30-.30 be to much?

Whats a good deer rifle for my son? Hes a beginner. Would a .30-.30 be to much?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad