Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats a good deer rifle for my son? Hes a beginner. Would a .30-.30 be to much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steve182
    replied
    Not a fan of the .223cal rifles for deer, in the hands of a beginner especially. In the hands of a sharpshooter they're very affective, but begginers? If you are looking for a lever the 30/30 is fine. If i was looking for a beginner deer rifle for my son(i am), the .243 and 7mm/08 are great light kicking versataile guns

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    yea i think so i think he should use a .22250

Leave a comment:

• texasfirst
    replied
    Man, I can't help but get nervous about exposed hammer weapons and kids, and that goes the same with auto-loaders, etc. Get your boy a bolt-action rifle in whatever caliber you think suits him. I mean, safety is in the hands of the shooter, but man, those hammers are tricky...

Leave a comment:

• silsbyj
    replied
    I used a .243 my first year and moved on to a 30-30 from there. Either of those would be a great biginner gun.

Leave a comment:

• kolbster
    replied
    30-30, 223 or 243 all kick about the same 223 is the lightest kicker of the bunch though, and will bring down a deer just fine.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    Although the .30-30 is not a bad choice I tend to start kids with either a .243 or .270 bolt action. I have owned .30-30's that were more obnoxcious to shoot than a .270 of reasonable weight with a light bullet and a good recoil pad. I don't ever remember a kid complaining. I own a .243 that has killed over 40 deer and antelopes. Most of them by kids or beginning adult hunters. Invariably it was their first kill but not their last.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    Most 30-30's are lever actions with exposed hammers. The only safety is the half-c0ck notch and you can't see what's in the tube magazine. No companies make lever-action youth guns that I can recall. Because of safety they are not the best gun for a beginner. There are several youth model bolt actions that can be loaded like a single shot and have excellent safeties. A 243 or 7mm08 is about as good as it gets cartridgewise accurate, light recoil, plenty power for deer sized game.

Leave a comment:

• rrmont
    replied
    I would go with a .243, but it also depends of what type of terrian you hunt in. If it's brush and up close then go with the 30-30, if it's alittle more open then the .243.

Leave a comment:

• pumakitchen
    replied
    I have a .243 and I love it, it is great for deer, pronghorn, and even elk. However if I was buying for my son I would buy a .270 it is a great gun for many species, its big enough to take down an elk, but small enough its not going to blow a hole in smaller game. It has a great range of bullet grain sizes and they are popular enough you could probably find one for a good price. Take the money you save and buy him a really good scope, it will make all the difference.

Leave a comment:

• Cantrell44
    replied
    30-30 would be a great gun to start with

Leave a comment:

• Bigbuck14
    replied
    NO im 14 years old it also depends on his age if he is under 13 start him of with a .243 or .308 those would be the to guns I would use but i also use a 20 which is a great gun some people think its a short range gun but it really isn't it can reach out about 200 yards

Leave a comment:

• T
    replied
    My first deer rifle was a .243 and it worked out great for me. It just depends on what your son is built like and what he feels comfortable shooting.

Leave a comment:

• deerslayer2
    replied
    A 30-30 would be a great gun. But if he is big enough I would get him a 30-06.I said IF he was big enough.

Leave a comment:

• rabbitpolice88
    replied
    A 30-30 is a great gun for a first time hunter to start with. I started off with a 30-30 and loved it.

Leave a comment:

• bomberpride
    replied
    30-30 would b really good

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad