Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats a good deer rifle for my son? Hes a beginner. Would a .30-.30 be to much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats a good deer rifle for my son? Hes a beginner. Would a .30-.30 be to much?

Whats a good deer rifle for my son? Hes a beginner. Would a .30-.30 be to much?

As his first deer rifle, I presented my son with a well used Winchester Model 94 chambered for the .30-30 and equipped with a William receiver sight. He was (is) delighted. I handload, so the first loads he used were assembled with light (110 gr. RN) bullets, but he quickly transitioned to 150 and 170-grain bullets.
    A Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag is another good choice in dense brush and, if you handload, you can provide him with affordable light loads for plinking and practice. Your son is a fortunate lad. Best wishes to both of you.

Comment

Im 13 and i took my first buck, 11 points, with a
      300 win. mag. I was 9. That thing kicked so hard, but I was so excited I didnt even feel it. I think a
      30-30 would be great. If not, a .223 kicks like a bb gun but it definitely does the job fine.

Comment

other virtues of a 30.30, i'm assuming it is a lever like a model 94, is that it is light and compact, which makes it easier for a youngster to carry, handle, and shoot comfortably. The only downfall is that many 30.30s have hard plastic or metal butt plates that can bite the shoulder if he is practicing with only a t-shirt on. Padd it a little bit or add a rubber recoil pad and it should work out great.

Comment

30-30 would b really good

Comment

A 30-30 is a great gun for a first time hunter to start with. I started off with a 30-30 and loved it.

Comment

A 30-30 would be a great gun. But if he is big enough I would get him a 30-06.I said IF he was big enough.

Comment

My first deer rifle was a .243 and it worked out great for me. It just depends on what your son is built like and what he feels comfortable shooting.

Comment

NO im 14 years old it also depends on his age if he is under 13 start him of with a .243 or .308 those would be the to guns I would use but i also use a 20 which is a great gun some people think its a short range gun but it really isn't it can reach out about 200 yards

Comment

30-30 would be a great gun to start with

Comment

I have a .243 and I love it, it is great for deer, pronghorn, and even elk. However if I was buying for my son I would buy a .270 it is a great gun for many species, its big enough to take down an elk, but small enough its not going to blow a hole in smaller game. It has a great range of bullet grain sizes and they are popular enough you could probably find one for a good price. Take the money you save and buy him a really good scope, it will make all the difference.

Comment

I would go with a .243, but it also depends of what type of terrian you hunt in. If it's brush and up close then go with the 30-30, if it's alittle more open then the .243.

Comment

Most 30-30's are lever actions with exposed hammers. The only safety is the half-c0ck notch and you can't see what's in the tube magazine. No companies make lever-action youth guns that I can recall. Because of safety they are not the best gun for a beginner. There are several youth model bolt actions that can be loaded like a single shot and have excellent safeties. A 243 or 7mm08 is about as good as it gets cartridgewise accurate, light recoil, plenty power for deer sized game.

Comment

Although the .30-30 is not a bad choice I tend to start kids with either a .243 or .270 bolt action. I have owned .30-30's that were more obnoxcious to shoot than a .270 of reasonable weight with a light bullet and a good recoil pad. I don't ever remember a kid complaining. I own a .243 that has killed over 40 deer and antelopes. Most of them by kids or beginning adult hunters. Invariably it was their first kill but not their last.

Comment

30-30, 223 or 243 all kick about the same 223 is the lightest kicker of the bunch though, and will bring down a deer just fine.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                                Today, 04:39 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by 99explorer
                                Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                                Today, 03:02 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                                Today, 02:39 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                I am most pleased with the Barrett confirmation, now we only need to see the fallout from the D’s. With the reelection of Trump, probably not too much...
                                Today, 01:18 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X