X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How high can a deer jump?

When necessary for survival...

https://nypost.com/2019/12/20/amazin...urce=applenews

They jump my fences like it was nothing a car is impressive. One try to jump my town and country once and the outcome wasn’t good. They say it’s like walking on ice when a deer hooves hit the cement. So for it to jump like that on cement is one skillful deer.

Comment

We were visiting people who lived on a one-way street and we had our Greyhounds. They got lose and ran down a driveway and a car was coming - you got it, right over the car to the other side. I imagine a deer could do the same. Our kennel had 6' mill fence and the dogs could jump it from a standing start and use their paws to get over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
        They say it’s like walking on ice when a deer hooves hit the cement.
        Reminds me of the time I was parked at a traffic light on a concrete street. Six deer came thundering from my left through the trees, apparently destined to cross the road. They could have jumped the cars with ease except for the concrete. Five of them pulled up short upon seeing the concrete. The youngest one kept coming and looked just like it hit ice when its feet touched the concrete. It had no more jump and slid full speed right into the side of the car behind me. It hit head first and was knocked out completely. As the light changed, cars were careful to pull around it as they advanced.

The other five stood watching with a smile on their face until it woke up and bolted back to solid ground.

Comment

Horses can jump pretty high too.

Comment

White-tailed deer can jump almost eight feet high, so effective upright fences against them should be this high. Deer may be able to jump high, but not both high and over a distance. stories So a fence may not be as high, perhaps six feet, but slanted outward.
            Last edited by boyjaat209; 01-08-2020, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Unless this is a photoshop, this deer seems to be leaping both high and wide.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad