Long night, good outcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long night, good outcome

I get a text last night from my FiL, a bit before legal sunset my SiL draws good blood on a nice buck but they lose the trail in the dark and aren’t sure if they should push it. It’s her first time shooting game with a muzzleloader. She gets the ok to be a little late to work this morning and they head back out to look first thing along with a family friend. Didn’t take long and she had her hands on a heavy bodied eight point with two busted G3’s. The deer made it about 300 yards from where it was shot. The blood trail petered out the last 70 or so yards but there was just enough snow left to figure out the track. The coyotes did find it first but only ate a little of one ham and the nose off. It weighed 170 lbs gutted, minus a few pounds to the dogs. Mid December and it was still after a doe and smelled like he’s in full rut. Looks like another big batch of summer sausage is headed to the smoker.

My first archery deer back in 1999 was the only deer I’ve had to leave overnight. I shot it just before sunset as well and tracked it about 150 yards before losing that trail. I quit looking in the rain about 10pm that night. When I woke up the next morning there was 4” of snow on the ground. Looked until I had to be to work, which fortunately happened to be for the main business of the guy who also had the sideline archery shop I worked for as well. That afternoon we went looking with another guy who happened to be at the shop when I got back. The other guy and I split off from my boss and were about to give up when he spotted a brown circle in the snow a couple hundred yards below us. The body heat from the deer melted the snow around it. The shot was a quartering to pass through at about 15 yards and I watched the deer drop 30 yards away, but it wasn’t dead. It got back up and promptly fell over again. I waited until dark before getting down, but apparently it made its feet again and then kept going. It ended up about 500 yards away, I’d caught just one lung a nicked the liver. Had no idea at the time, but the guy who spotted it happens to be my Father in Law today.

Anyone else have one of those long nights that turned out ok?
    Last edited by fitch270; 12-13-2019, 08:48 PM.

I'm glad her buck was recovered. Sounds like a nice one!

Comment

Shot one on the trot right near end of shooting time. Recurve 17 yards. Arrow was stuck deep in the ground. Buck was honked off and stood there looking for the buck that horned him....was maybe 35 yards out......could not get a 2nd arrow in him due to branches.

Went back next morning, super cold....frost everywhere.

Had used lantern that night and trail petered out pretty quick.

With daylight went to last blood ( now gone)....and saw a bit of trail into CRP/ tree farm. Less than 50 yards and there he was. Untouched.
      Looked like he just walked out and keeled over.

Not a fan of 2 blade heads.

Comment

Lantern tracking at night is fun though. Hiss of the Coleman is just part of the cool.

Comment

Just lucky I guess.
          I've never had to wait overnight to resume tracking.
          Congrats on locating sil's deer.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
            Shot one on the trot right near end of shooting time. Recurve 17 yards. Arrow was stuck deep in the ground. Buck was honked off and stood there looking for the buck that horned him....was maybe 35 yards out......could not get a 2nd arrow in him due to branches.

Went back next morning, super cold....frost everywhere.

Had used lantern that night and trail petered out pretty quick.

With daylight went to last blood ( now gone)....and saw a bit of trail into CRP/ tree farm. Less than 50 yards and there he was. Untouched.
            Looked like he just walked out and keeled over.

Not a fan of 2 blade heads.
            I agree cd2, never have been a fan of 2 blade heads. With a sliced cut, it is too easy for the cute to close up, very poor blood trail. The only elk I ever lost was from a two blade head and the hit was good, no blood trail.

Comment

I tracked an arrow-shot pig one night for about 4 hours after sunset before giving up. It was a gut shot through and through because the pig had moved just as I let the arrow fly. I was alone and about 2 miles from the vehicle on public land. I'd left my bow beside another pig I'd killed so was following just carrying a small pocket knife and a hand-held flashlight. After the third bump, it was time to call it unrecoverable. I had a sales call scheduled with a customer the next day in North Alabama and couldn't come back the following morning.

Overall, I've lost 4 wounded pigs and 3 wounded deer over the last 30 years. Most of those were while hunting with archery. The one gun-shot deer ran onto a hostile farmer's land in Kentucky and he wouldn't give us permission to track it. The one gun-shot pig was hit in the shoulder with a 180grain B-tip that must have started expanding or tumbling from hitting a twig first... the blood trail ended in 450 yards on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

I agree cd2, never have been a fan of 2 blade heads. With a sliced cut, it is too easy for the cute to close up, very poor blood trail. The only elk I ever lost was from a two blade head and the hit was good, no blood trail.
                My BiL went through a phase where he was using 2 blade broad heads but after a couple long tracking jobs his dad told him if he was going to keep using them he was on his own. He switched and hasn’t had trouble since.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                  I tracked an arrow-shot pig one night for about 4 hours after sunset before giving up. It was a gut shot through and through because the pig had moved just as I let the arrow fly. I was alone and about 2 miles from the vehicle on public land. I'd left my bow beside another pig I'd killed so was following just carrying a small pocket knife and a hand-held flashlight. After the third bump, it was time to call it unrecoverable. I had a sales call scheduled with a customer the next day in North Alabama and couldn't come back the following morning.

Overall, I've lost 4 wounded pigs and 3 wounded deer over the last 30 years. Most of those were while hunting with archery. The one gun-shot deer ran onto a hostile farmer's land in Kentucky and he wouldn't give us permission to track it. The one gun-shot pig was hit in the shoulder with a 180grain B-tip that must have started expanding or tumbling from hitting a twig first... the blood trail ended in 450 yards on that one.
                  Sometimes all you can do is put the effort into finding them and hope for the best. Doesn’t always work out, but when it does it gives you incentive for other times. Especially when you can help out someone else.

Comment

I switched to the old brazed Snuffers since my Blackwidow SA2 was 55# and FF rated.

YOWZA!

Huge difference.

They no longer made
                    Not for use on lesser performance/draw weight trad gear according to manufacturer.
                    I'd agree.

Current BW is FF rated (and running a FF string) and 54#.
                    Should work.
                    Alas, I have G5 Strikers and Montecs in the quiver.
                    Did buy some 2 blade single bevel Cutthroats. 20 bucks each.
                    Small too.
                    Figured I'd drive one down through a buck if close, max P
                    Not this year LOL

If the elbow doesn't heal up, won't be next yr either.
                    Going to lesser # recurve next yr (if I do)............no Snuffers.

If I find a couple packs of original 125 gr Snuffers I'll still buy em

Comment

FWIW MZ season.............think doe fawns in heat now (and any mature does that didn't get bred). Bucks will be after em.
                      Have shot bucks chasing this time of year.

My MZ is packed away. And we are a 1 buck state. So just doe hunting now.

Guy at work popped his buck earlier this week. MZ. Ran 40 yards and dropped in field, got up and and ran back into woods. Heard it fall. Got him easy enough, but was shocked at zero bloodtrail. Double lunged.

Comment

Two more seasons in Ohio. Dec. 21 - 22 rifle and Jan for 4 days for ML.
                        When I first saw this title, Long Night Good Outcome, I thought it was going to be a X rated story of an encounter.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                          Two more seasons in Ohio. Dec. 21 - 22 rifle and Jan for 4 days for ML.
                          When I first saw this title, Long Night Good Outcome, I thought it was going to be a X rated story of an encounter.
                          There must be a few coals still smoldering in the ‘ol furnace there yet jimbo !
                          Hoo-rah !!!

Comment

Only "lost" one animal in 55 years. Back in 1975 I hit a spike elk but didn't have a chance to track him far. When I walked over to where the herd got up from their beds I saw a calf laying dead that I'd first shot at. It simply stepped out of view and fell over. Had to get busy and drag that one down to the car before dark. Next morning my brother went back with me and we tracked the spike till snow gave out. It was leading the pack and obviously not hurt bad. The following week two other fellas got him on that same mountain. Was hit just behind front leg nicking the brisket. Lucked out on that one.
                            Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 12-20-2019, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                              I get a text last night from my FiL, a bit before legal sunset my SiL draws good blood on a nice buck but they lose the trail in the dark and aren’t sure if they should push it. It’s her first time shooting game with a muzzleloader. She gets the ok to be a little late to work this morning and they head back out to look first thing along with a family friend. Didn’t take long and she had her hands on a heavy bodied eight point with two busted G3’s. The deer made it about 300 yards from where it was shot. The blood trail petered out the last 70 or so yards but there was just enough snow left to figure out the track. The coyotes did find it first but only ate a little of one ham and the nose off. It weighed 170 lbs gutted, minus a few pounds to the dogs. Mid December and it was still after a doe and smelled like he’s in full rut. Looks like another big batch of summer sausage is headed to the smoker.

My first archery deer back in 1999 was the only deer I’ve had to leave overnight. I shot it just before sunset as well and tracked it about 150 yards before losing that trail. I quit looking in the rain about 10pm that night. When I woke up the next morning there was 4” of snow on the ground. Looked until I had to be to work, which fortunately happened to be for the main business of the guy who also had the sideline archery shop I worked for as well. That afternoon we went looking with another guy who happened to be at the shop when I got back. The other guy and I split off from my boss and were about to give up when he spotted a brown circle in the snow a couple hundred yards below us. The body heat from the deer melted the snow around it. The shot was a quartering to pass through at about 15 yards and I watched the deer drop 30 yards away, but it wasn’t dead. It got back up and promptly fell over again. I waited until dark before getting down, but apparently it made its feet again and then kept going. It ended up about 500 yards away, I’d caught just one lung a nicked the liver. Had no idea at the time, but the guy who spotted it happens to be my Father in Law today.

Anyone else have one of those long nights that turned out ok?
                              Hey Fitch !
                              Glad everything worked out for her !
                              You and family have a Merry Christmas !!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How Do I Know ???
                                by jhjimbo
                                You are smoking some bad weed.
                                Today, 03:42 AM
                              • How Do I Know ???
                                by jhjimbo
                                How do I decide who to vote for in the November Election ? Easy, just look around at the squalor in the Cities that have been controlled (raped) by...
                                Yesterday, 12:03 PM
                                by 99explorer
                                To answer Rock Rat's question, I would say that Joe Biden would be the least objectionable candidate of the Democratic group.
                                In fact, he is the
                                Yesterday, 11:55 PM
                                by 99explorer
                                I'll say this for Rock Rat - I may not agree with him, but he has done a very thorough analysis, and has thought things through, which is more than I...
                                Yesterday, 11:32 PM
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rat, You are way off on your characterization of the candidates. In answer to your question there is not one I consider right for the Country at this...
                                Yesterday, 11:11 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X