End of an era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of an era

Well lost my hunting spot of 7 years last Saturday. So now I’m joining the lease crowd. Any advice this will be my first year leasing ground next year. Thank you in advance.

How did you lose it? Do you have friends you could pool with? Any good state or federal close? Believe me I feel your pain. Would ad that this time of year you have months before you have to commit. New properties and opportunities could come in the new year. Hold off signing till you know ALL your options.
    Last edited by dewman; 12-11-2019, 05:49 PM.

Comment

If I were in your position I wouldn’t be in a big hurry to get something locked in. The first thing I would do is make a list of my priorities and what I’d hope to get out of the deal. I can tell you I’d settle for lesser deer quality with decent guys than be in a prime area with a bunch I didn’t get along with or at least respect. Travel distances, can you take your grandsons, etc are all the types of things you need to consider.

This from a guy who hasn’t ever done a lease, so take it for what it’s worth ‘dawg. Hope things work out, I’m sure you’ll keep us posted.

Comment

Dew man guy who owns the land a farm of his wants the spot so I’m out. All of this started since there is monster running around out there.

Comment

milldawg, lease wise, the best time to start looking is at the end of this season. There will be leasors who are fed up with the shenanigans of this years leasees and are looking for folks who are responsible.

These days, I have no idea HOW to go about finding a lease?
          I've spent the last 20 years hunting "gimme's" and neighbors for nothing.
          Societal norms have changed from the 1960's when me and my buddies drove around looking for working farmers. We'd stop and offer to help for nothing, but can we we hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
            Dew man guy who owns the land a farm of his wants the spot so I’m out. All of this started since there is monster running around out there.
            In 1994-96 there was a giant non typical running my place. Kids and driver of the school bus started seeing him regular, then the mailman. Then people started to talk at the gas station. Couple fellas show up on my door asking to lease my ground exclusively, as in I couldn't even squirrel hunt. Told them no. They wouldn't take no for an answer. Tried to get my brothers to sign, they said only I had legal authority to do so. Talked to my mother and grandparents(actual owners) who told them it was up to me. Cussed my mom, bad mistake. Would have let them bow hunt for free as only gun season were we full up of friends/family. No one saw him during gun season(I never saw him ever) for two years as others did. Then poof, he disappeared. Modern media( all types) + trophy deer = STUPID.

Comment

My bud grew up where we hunt now. Knew the landowner. Passed away and kid of landowner said we could continue . That " kid" is late 70's.
              Dunno if the next relative will alllow us.

It coukd be shut down, sold, or leased....,any time.

We have two gov ground spots about an hrs drive. Bow only ( crazy in gun ). Thats the backup plan.

Comment

Neighbors have stopped us, reported seeing a big one. That will bring out the poachers

DNR stopped by one day. So maybe his presence will keep things in check

Comment

Well I found a place 4K for 160 acres 2 lakes 3 ponds deer duck turkey hogs. But that’s a lot of money for what it is but it beats nothing.

Comment

$4,000, you need to get some partners. 160 acres should support a half dozen hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                      $4,000, you need to get some partners. 160 acres should support a half dozen hunters.
                      What???
                      Six hunters on 160 acres and they would be shooting each other and each others deer!
                      For safety's sake and to reduce pressure on the surrounding deer population, I wouldn't put over 2 hunters on 160 acres!

Comment

We put 20-22 guys every year opening day on 1500 acres(not all huntable). Yes there was deer overlap but it worked for 2 reasons.
                        1. Some let spikes and forkies go by as well as does, hoping for something better. Next fella maybe not as picky. 1/2 the guys just wanted meat so..........
                        2. Half or more would be done opening day, close to 2/3-3/4 by end of opening weekend. Attrition allowed the others to move into the hotter spots.
                        Of course this was a gunseason only deal. That may make a difference.
                        You could make it a deer or 2 and out scenario where if someone fills their tags in bow the area closes to them for gun then becomes open to all again late season.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                          Well I found a place 4K for 160 acres 2 lakes 3 ponds deer duck turkey hogs. But that’s a lot of money for what it is but it beats nothing.
                          Does that give you exclusive access? Split it with one other guy and you’d each be into it for about what I pay in property taxes for 100 acres. I’d still take my time, but if you find what you’re looking for at a price you’re comfortable with then go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                            We put 20-22 guys every year opening day on 1500 acres(not all huntable). Yes there was deer overlap but it worked for 2 reasons.
                            1. Some let spikes and forkies go by as well as does, hoping for something better. Next fella maybe not as picky. 1/2 the guys just wanted meat so..........
                            2. Half or more would be done opening day, close to 2/3-3/4 by end of opening weekend. Attrition allowed the others to move into the hotter spots.
                            Of course this was a gunseason only deal. That may make a difference.
                            You could make it a deer or 2 and out scenario where if someone fills their tags in bow the area closes to them for gun then becomes open to all again late season.
                            That sounds like a nice arrangement. We could get 5-6 guys set up pretty easy any given day, but it would definitely burn the place out in a couple days. Too much land around us that doesn’t get the pressure it used to.

Your second point I find interesting as it parallels a discussion I had with someone this year. Hunting license sales keep decreasing little by little yet the overall harvest stays pretty consistent. After opening weekend, which isn’t the big thing it used to be either, there are relatively few people out in the woods. Obviously the opener was always the biggest day as far as harvest numbers, but it seems like with fewer casual hunters out there it’s still the serious guys that are tagged out early leaving the woods empty for the most part. The most notable result is a lack of deer movement after the rut.

Comment

Fitch270: After the first 2 days of Michigan gun (60'-mid80')about your only chance was the drive or if you were real lucky and good, with fresh snow, you might walk one up. Don't think the access is still as good, don't know if people get along well enough to do drives. Too many people locking up too much ground in the dream of killing a monster that statistically don't live there anyway. Kids need room to grow.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to China Virus
                                by Danbo
                                Very good article Pighunter ! It’s hard for governments to coverup something like that today when most people have smart phones. See pics out of China...
                                Today, 12:29 PM
                              • China Virus
                                by jhjimbo
                                Person in Seattle died. Student in Texas under observation. There would be no flu if there was not air travel. Virus hops a plane and can be anywhere...
                                Yesterday, 06:15 AM
                              • Reply to China Virus
                                by PigHunter
                                But, there were trains and ships travelling the world. Here's an interesting article on the 1918 flu:
                                https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ea...
                                Today, 11:30 AM
                              • Reply to Memorial
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Sigh! You lucky guys. I am looking at snow in the back yard that is up to top of Ellie's back ... and more starting to come down (just a bit though)....
                                Today, 11:26 AM
                              • Reply to Impeachment a major blunder!
                                by 99explorer
                                If an impeachment resulted in overturning an election, Hillary Clinton would become president.
                                Today, 11:24 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X