No announcement yet.

Venison, its whats for dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simmered with a glass lid so I can watch. I think the lid matters with venison, just too easy to get dry wild meat. Yes on a little pepper but as a rule I never include herbs and spices with my recipe because people like different seasonings. I don't use onions because I've found cooking with tomatoes great at rounding the taste to satisfy the wild game picky whether you eat them or pick through them. How can you have a bite of this and leave off the mushrooms? My wife doesn't.(but my girls do)
    p.s. Some who've tried this season flour and roll the meat in it before they sear it. My opinion, it adds to the mess to cleanup in the kitchen more than the flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
      Simmered with a glass lid so I can watch. I think the lid matters with venison, just too easy to get dry wild meat. Yes on a little pepper but as a rule I never include herbs and spices with my recipe because people like different seasonings. I don't use onions because I've found cooking with tomatoes great at rounding the taste to satisfy the wild game picky whether you eat them or pick through them. How can you have a bite of this and leave off the mushrooms? My wife doesn't.(but my girls do)
      p.s. Some who've tried this season flour and roll the meat in it before they sear it. My opinion, it adds to the mess to cleanup in the kitchen more than the flavor.
      Ironically, to me, venison is a "base" to support onions, garlic and whatever "appropriate" spice to enhance the dish.
      Basil, oregano, sage, turmeric, pepper, celery, potatoes, tomatoes, cumin.
      I don't care for bland food.
      I like meat tender, but I dislike meat that has been cooked to the point to it turns to mush in your mouth.
      I love breaded, fried venison.
      Make gravy, return the meat to the skillet and smother the steak!

But I don't cook with salt.
      I keep salt on the table.

But that's just me.

Comment

FIRSTBUBBA: Are you saying you can't taste venison? Why bury the flavor? Firm but fork cutable is how it should come out.
        For the record I hate 99% Mexican food. Cabrito roasted over charcoal served with margaritas about only thing I like. Haven't been in a Mexican restaurant in 40 yrs.

Comment

FIRSTBUBBA: Are you saying you can't taste venison? Why bury the flavor? Firm but fork cutable is how it should come out.
          For the record I hate 99% Mexican food. Cabrito roasted over charcoal served with margaritas about only thing I like. Haven't been in a Mexican restaurant in 40 yrs.
          No sir! Love venison ... and tons of other flavors!
          Too me, venison has a unique flavor, it really can't be covered up, only enhanced.
          Fork cutable is perfect.

The pit barbeque at "Angelo's" in Fort Worth has been cooked to the point a bite turns into a wad of cotton in your mouth.

Comment

I have tasted "gamey" venison! It's horrible!
            Ninety nine point nine percent of gamey venison is some knot headed jerk that doesn't properly care for the animal after the shot.
            I've heard people talk about soaking venison in milk overnight to get rid of the "gamey" taste.
            Others quarter up a deer then store it in ice water for three days until the meat is "pretty and pink"!
            Never understood why those folks didn't just go buy some ground chicken. Would be a lot cheaper!

I don't eat raw or rare venison.
            I don't eat meat that is still bleeding! LOL!
            It doesn't have to be burned to a crisp. Just done! No pink!

Comment

Thanks, we’re going to give this a try at some point.

When I pan fry back straps I sometimes dredge them in flour, the boy doesn’t like them that way but my daughter does. The quality of the flour makes a difference I believe. Definitely adds to the mess.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                Skillet fajitas

Cut the venison into 3/8" or 1/2" strips.
                For the four of you, probably a whole onion, cut up into rings.
                Couple of cloves of garlic chopped up.
                Dust with black pepper.
                Cumin seed to taste. (we tried ground cumin, but it just doesn't have the flavor)
                We like a jalapeno added.
                Coat with a little EVOO and allow to marinate for a bit.

Put into a skillet with a little EVOO in the bottom.
                Cook over medium heat.
                Cover and allow to tenderize.

Serve on flour tortillas with grated cheese and salsa.

Did a batch of these tonight and they went over pretty well. My wife did use ground cumin as she had that in the cupboard. We were surprised how using mainly that the result was much the same as when she’s used other spices. She did chop the onions a little finer. I cut the meat strips a little bigger than she usually does as well.

We picked up a few cans of stewed tomatoes and some button mushrooms on our way home from work, Dewman’s recipe will be up later this week, plus a batch of chili.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Did a batch of these tonight and they went over pretty well. My wife did use ground cumin as she had that in the cupboard. We were surprised how using mainly that the result was much the same as when she’s used other spices. She did chop the onions a little finer. I cut the meat strips a little bigger than she usually does as well.

We picked up a few cans of stewed tomatoes and some button mushrooms on our way home from work, Dewman’s recipe will be up later this week, plus a batch of chili.
                  Looks luscious to me! But I just had a cheese sandwich for supper! LOL!
                  Trying to get moved to south Texas, not doing too much cooking or grocery shopping.
                  Bleehhhh!

Comment

I must say, there have been some very delicious receipts given here, will need to give them a try. My favorite way to fix venison is rather simple but the family never left any on their plates.

Cut strips off a hind quarter, just a tad over 1/4 inch thick, about 2 1/2 inches in width. With a tenderizer mallet pound the strips with mixed flour and cracker crumbs well on both sides. Drop into hot oil in pan and fry to your desired degree of doneness. Simple but easy going down.

Comment

Flour littered counter tops, gooey egg/milk wash glop mixed in, grease splashed and splattered across half the kitchen and gobs of flour/milk/egg blobs on fingertips that don't want to wash off easily!!!!!

Double breaded, butterflied, skillet fried venison backstrap is THE ultimate venison meal!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Get Off Social Media
                        by Danbo
                        99 your not being totally truthful! The Vice President at the time threatened to put aid on hold unless Ukraine fired the prosecutor who was investigating...
                        Today, 07:33 PM
                      • Get Off Social Media
                        by jhjimbo
                        A talking head on MSMBC said people should "get off social media" . Now why would she feel people should get off social media ? I suspect...
                        Today, 04:10 PM
                      • Reply to Recommended Choke & Shot for Turkey
                        by Danbo
                        3 inch nitro turkey #6 Shot 12 gauge through undertaker extra full extended choke . Took several ny birds with that combo
                        Today, 07:22 PM
                      • Recommended Choke & Shot for Turkey
                        by Big5ully9
                        I will be using my 12 ga Remington 870 express for turkey season this spring. What do you guys recommend for choke and shot? Weight? Steel or lead?...
                        Today, 04:17 PM
                      • Reply to Turkey Hunting Newbie
                        by FirstBubba
                        The best shot size is what patterns best in the your gun.
                        The best choke is what gets you the best pattern.
                        I shoot a Rem 870 Express....
                        Today, 07:18 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X