Venison, its whats for dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venison, its whats for dinner

So not surprisingly we've been eating a lot of venison lately, and I'm very impressed with the quality of that big 'ole mule deer. Tonight I cut up a shoulder roast into pieces about 3/8" thick and fried them in a little bit of olive oil straight up, 4 minutes per side. If I didn't know any better I'd have thought we were eating backstraps. My wife even commented that it was kind of bland, which to me isn't a bad thing at all. The burgers we've made so far have been excellent as well. One thing that stands out is just how bright red the meat is compared to our whitetails from home. No idea why this might be.

Anyway, what I'm looking for are some simple ideas to keep us from getting burned out on our usual meals. We have burger and all the typical cuts, plus about 15 pounds of corned venison. We've also made 3 batches of jerky and my FiL has done some snack sticks and summer sausage from their deer. As much as we like that stuff we've already used up the lesser cuts and I'd hate to "waste" the good ones.

Trimming the meat before cooking is vital.This is how I make my favorite. Posted it on here before. Heat some oil in a pan till it's popping, drop in your 1/2" or so fillets and quick sear them. 20-30 seconds tops, flip, repeat. Remove and turn the heat to low. Spread a layer of stewed tomatoes, button mushrooms, and sliced fresh green peppers. Add a layer of your meat, cover with another layer of your tomato, mushroom, and peppers. Simmer till the peppers are opaque. If you are making for those whose love of deer meat is so-so, substitute a can of diced tomatoes that have peppers, celery, and onion in them.for the stewed tomatoes.Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1417.JPG Views:	0 Size:	488.8 KB ID:	719285Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1418.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	719286Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1421.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	719287
    Last edited by dewman; 12-07-2019, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Skillet fajitas

Cut the venison into 3/8" or 1/2" strips.
      For the four of you, probably a whole onion, cut up into rings.
      Couple of cloves of garlic chopped up.
      Dust with black pepper.
      Cumin seed to taste. (we tried ground cumin, but it just doesn't have the flavor)
      We like a jalapeno added.
      Coat with a little EVOO and allow to marinate for a bit.

Put into a skillet with a little EVOO in the bottom.
      Cook over medium heat.
      Cover and allow to tenderize.

Serve on flour tortillas with grated cheese and salsa.

Comment

Someone on here mentioned Hank Shaw's venison steak diane on here a while ago and I'll second that recommendation.

Grilled bacon wrapped venison bites from this link were a hit. I've used the same marinade for steaks and enjoyed that as well. http://oldworldmeats.com/our-product...on-processing/

This recipe is a good starting point for venison kabobs. A lot of times I'll grill some pineapple and mix some olive oil, balsamic, salt, and pepper together to baste the veggies. https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/gri...getable-kabobs

And here's a recipe I used for carne asada. I typically make pico de gallo to go with this but obvious add whatever toppings you like. https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/carne_asada/

Can you share your recipe for corned venison? I tried making a small batch several months ago and it was alright but it came out with a way stronger caraway flavor than I prefer.

Comment

Dewman and FB, thanks. I remember both of these, probably I've asked before. Taking screenshots this time so I won't have to look for them later.

Comment

Originally posted by DogGuy87 View Post
            Someone on here mentioned Hank Shaw's venison steak diane on here a while ago and I'll second that recommendation.

Grilled bacon wrapped venison bites from this link were a hit. I've used the same marinade for steaks and enjoyed that as well. http://oldworldmeats.com/our-product...on-processing/

This recipe is a good starting point for venison kabobs. A lot of times I'll grill some pineapple and mix some olive oil, balsamic, salt, and pepper together to baste the veggies. https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/gri...getable-kabobs

And here's a recipe I used for carne asada. I typically make pico de gallo to go with this but obvious add whatever toppings you like. https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/carne_asada/

Can you share your recipe for corned venison? I tried making a small batch several months ago and it was alright but it came out with a way stronger caraway flavor than I prefer.
            Thanks as well DG, I have a cousin who has been smoking his own bacon so that might be cool to try.

We make our corned venison using a seasoning mix from these folks:

www.ironskilletseasonings.com

It takes some time, and a little mixing every day but the result is well worth it. Started out using a crockpot with potatoes, carrots and cabbage but found grilling it keeps the flavor stronger. Will be trying the smoker at some point, I'm told it turns out like pastrami. We still use the crockpot for coming home to on work days. If there's any left over it makes a good Reuben sandwich.

Comment

fitch270

Another trick I use.

Tacos

2 lbs ground
              1/2 med onion diced
              2 cloves garlic minced
              1 or 2 cans diced tomatoes w/juice
              Pepper to taste
              Cumin seed to taste
              Diced hot pepper *

Cook ground meat loose with onion, garlic, pepper and cumin.

Add tomatoes after meat is done, cook down.

* optional

Top with cheese and salsa

We don't use the taco shells, we just use tortilla chips and eat it like a "dip"

Comment

A favorite here. Click image for larger version

Name:	20181011_202215.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	719312

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Thanks as well DG, I have a cousin who has been smoking his own bacon so that might be cool to try.

We make our corned venison using a seasoning mix from these folks:

www.ironskilletseasonings.com

It takes some time, and a little mixing every day but the result is well worth it. Started out using a crockpot with potatoes, carrots and cabbage but found grilling it keeps the flavor stronger. Will be trying the smoker at some point, I'm told it turns out like pastrami. We still use the crockpot for coming home to on work days. If there's any left over it makes a good Reuben sandwich.

Thanks Fitch, I'll keep them in mind next time I'm making a batch. I'd like to try making pastrami at some point too but my cheap smoker loses heat so fast that "cold smoking" would take on a whole new meaning.

Let us know what some of your other go to recipes are as well. I was fortunate enough to get 2 deer this year so I'm on the hunt for new recipes as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                    A favorite here. Click image for larger version

Name:	20181011_202215.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	719312
                    What is it?

Comment

Looks like a pot pie, funny because my wife and I were just talking about them and shepherd's pie a couple hours ago. She's never made a pot pie with anything other than poultry and hadn't considered it.

Comment

We're going to do tacos/taco salad without store bought seasoning packets next time as well. We have quarts of pickled jalapenos and salsa from the garden.

Dewman's suggestion made us realize we haven't done stewed tomatoes from the garden in a number of years. The kids were at a point that they didn't like anything using them. My daughter still isn't a tomatoe fan, but the boy likes chili and sloppy joes so we need to remember to do up a few pints next year. We keep a stocked pantry but hardly any store bought canned veggies.

Comment

What about soups and stews?
                          I'd say up there where the air hurts your face, a big bowl of soup or stew would be welcome.

Comment

We do soups often, usually at least once a week but not typically with venison. That’s likely to change this year however. Stews not so much but I can see that changing as well. Fortunately the kids are outgrowing being quite so picky which opens up some possibilities. Leftovers are hit and miss on popularity and venison tends not to reheat well so we try to do one and done meals with it. Corned venison being an exception, I’ll eat that cold right out of the fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                              Trimming the meat before cooking is vital.This is how I make my favorite. Posted it on here before. Heat some oil in a pan till it's popping, drop in your 1/2" or so fillets and quick sear them. 20-30 seconds tops, flip, repeat. Remove and turn the heat to low. Spread a layer of stewed tomatoes, button mushrooms, and sliced fresh green peppers. Add a layer of your meat, cover with another layer of your tomato, mushroom, and peppers. Simmer till the peppers are opaque. If you are making for those whose love of deer meat is so-so, substitute a can of diced tomatoes that have peppers, celery, and onion in them.for the stewed tomatoes.Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1417.JPG Views:	0 Size:	488.8 KB ID:	719285Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1418.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	719286Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1421.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	719287
                              Dewman, do you simmer that covered or not? Maybe it doesn’t matter? Any seasonings while cooking or just salt and pepper to taste on the plate?

My wife liked the sound of this, she just acquired a taste for peppers a couple years ago. She’ll probably pick out the mushrooms but I won’t. Neither of us are big on onions which usually go with anything that has peppers, interesting that you don’t use them. Our salsa has onion but they get chopped up finer than anything else.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How Do I Know ???
                                by jhjimbo
                                You are smoking some bad weed.
                                Today, 03:42 AM
                              • How Do I Know ???
                                by jhjimbo
                                How do I decide who to vote for in the November Election ? Easy, just look around at the squalor in the Cities that have been controlled (raped) by...
                                Yesterday, 12:03 PM
                                by 99explorer
                                To answer Rock Rat's question, I would say that Joe Biden would be the least objectionable candidate of the Democratic group.
                                In fact, he is the
                                Yesterday, 11:55 PM
                                by 99explorer
                                I'll say this for Rock Rat - I may not agree with him, but he has done a very thorough analysis, and has thought things through, which is more than I...
                                Yesterday, 11:32 PM
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rat, You are way off on your characterization of the candidates. In answer to your question there is not one I consider right for the Country at this...
                                Yesterday, 11:11 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X