Thanksgiving weekend hunting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Dang Fitch, that's a lot of snow! That would shut us down for days. I had insect repellent in my pocket today, just in case the mosquitoes got too bad.

Is it legal to shoot the bears in your area?
    The season is open in our unit, but sows with cubs are off limits, plus you can't bait them. Coyotes you can. He's not old enough to hunt alone, was just checking on it last night. He had his binos but didn't bother getting a good look, he's not sure of the sizes but odds are it was a sow and cub. We took the guns up this morning just in case. I don't want to shoot a bear, but might if it was a truly large one. I've told the boy he can, but he's covering the taxidermy bill on his own.
    Last edited by fitch270; 11-30-2019, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Woke up late. Forgot cell phone (took laptop to check SD cards on game cams we put out 2 days ago). Gun season ends today.

My hot stand, where I shot my buck.............nothing. Scrapes dead.
      Buddy had a cam on high side, not even a pic yet.
      By the creek? 3 does.

Weather has sucked..........figured we'd see a bit more though.

Guy stopped me on road, said 5 am or so, several times...........freakin monster seen crossing into our spot.

Proly who busted my deer's rack.
      Trying to get a pic of him before MZ season opens.
      If he's still alive.

Overdid it working at home, and weather moving in. I'm not hunting this evening, just gonna relax.

Tore my Contender pistol down, removed scope and bbl. Proly sell that stuff and keep the frame, thinking .22 mag rifle. Or buy my dad's .256 bbl.

Bowhunt off and on next month. Pull my new stand and steps, hunt down by the creek. High side dead w scrapes not freshened.

Late season is tough out there.

Comment

9 times bow and gun.
        Approx 26 hours total woods time.
        Dunno if going out late bow.
        Elbow is still screwed up.
        Oneida has not been set up yet (hey, the new string is on LOL).

Takes so long for season to get here and then it just blows by.
        Lots of stuff going on......and getting older.
        I got my deer, saw some bucks but man it's just been a blur.

Bud and I talked today when checking game cams.
        Gonna try to do this another 10 yrs if we can.

He's up for a new ride and said pickup w ATV.
        That's how old we're gettin LOL
        Said my buck in woods, no way we were gonna get it out.
        Thanked me for driving my POS through the crap to get back there and drag out.

Watching FieldSports Britain.............they used a Winch powered by electric drill I think (for a red deer). Hmmmmmmmmmmm

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Warn...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
          9 times bow and gun.
          Approx 26 hours total woods time.
          Dunno if going out late bow.
          Elbow is still screwed up.
          Oneida has not been set up yet (hey, the new string is on LOL).

Takes so long for season to get here and then it just blows by.
          Lots of stuff going on......and getting older.
          I got my deer, saw some bucks but man it's just been a blur.

Bud and I talked today when checking game cams.
          Gonna try to do this another 10 yrs if we can.

He's up for a new ride and said pickup w ATV.
          That's how old we're gettin LOL
          Said my buck in woods, no way we were gonna get it out.
          Thanked me for driving my POS through the crap to get back there and drag out.

Watching FieldSports Britain.............they used a Winch powered by electric drill I think (for a red deer). Hmmmmmmmmmmm

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Warn...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
          Now how old are you? Is it 54 years old? Why quit in 10 years?

I'm 60 and planning to hunt as long as physically able. My Dad is 85 and still hunting deer, quail, dove, and squirrels. So far I've gone 4 times this season and haven't shot anything. But our deer season goes until Feb 10th and small game to the 1st week of March. Got a pay hunt at the end of this week

Have you got a deer cart? I wouldn't be able to get game off public land without one.

Comment

cd2, the winch is VERY interesting!

I understand the "Warn" brand is quite respectable.

Several years ago, I bought a drill driven meat grinder gear reducer from Cabela's.
            It worked like a champ, until I finished grinding up a deer and discovered a fist full of fine metal shavings in the floor.
            My gear reducer was coming apart!
            Cabela's took it back and gave me store credit.
            I'm saying, for a portable drill to lift 500 pounds, there's gotta be a whole lotta gear reducing going on!

I'd likI'to see a little more customer review, but that appears to be a pretty neat deal.

Comment

Capacity is 500# on the Warn winch I saw.
              30 ft cable.
              Wooded area, could go tree to tree, take a while, but no back strain.

I'm mid 50's w a back thats not getting better without surgery and we all know what a coin toss that is.

Buddy had it done, didn't work, went for a more extensive one, they screwed it up (screw came out, shift in spine above plate). So new longer plate. 3rd surgery, first was the "little incision" one. He was all screwed up after #2 surgery and in rehab for months.

He's proly got better luck than me too.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad