Thanksgiving weekend hunting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving weekend hunting...

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! I hope it's going well so far.

I finally got to the range yesterday afternoon to prep the rifles for the upcoming week. It's off to my favorite WMA on Saturday for a Buck only hunt, minimum three points on a side. Pigs are always a possibility in the area I plan to hunt. I'll probably take the .300 Blackout AR with 110 gr Barnes handloads. That rifle was consistently grouping 1-1/8 inch, three shots off bags, 100 yards. I have a new scope on it, the Nikon P-Tactical 2-7x32.

I also adjusted the sights for two bolt-actions for two-inches high at 100 yards, making roughly about a 200 yard zero. The pay hunt in West Alabama will be Wednesday through Friday and some shots on food plots could be up to 250 yards.

The Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM was doing about 1-inch groups off bags at 100 yards with the Hornady 143 gr ELD-X factory load.

The Remington 788 in .308 was doing about 1-1/4 inch groups off bags at 100 yards with the Remington 150 gr Cor-Lokt factory load.

What are your hunting plans for the next week?

Comment

Hunting plans for next week?
      You don't wanna hear it! LOL!

Mon - PT on shoulder Lawton OK
      Tues - orthopedic surgeon OKC
      Wed - cardiac checkup Ft Worth TX
      Thurs/Fri - finish packing for S. Texas move
      Sat - youngest in from S. Texas to help with the move!

Sometime between Sun and Wed, drive to S. Texas.

P.S. right now, I'm "hunting" a place to nap off all the turkey and dressing I just consumed!
      So far, I've made it to my recliner, but the bed is sure sounding better.
      Last edited by FirstBubba; 11-28-2019, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Heading out in an hour. Hunt tomorrow morning and then go to work. Hunt sat and sun too. Monday try to straighten out some insurance nonsense, then Tues head down to Dr to tell them whats what. Roundabout way of paying the poor guy. Not efficient and doubt it saves my insurance co any freakin $.
        but ill be by Cabelas Tues so will check on some cold weather camo for yote killin.

Comment

Saw does on the way back from buying wine ( for the ol lady to take to her sisters in a bit ). Got my trail camera figured out last night. See if anybody has messed w our stands or shot anything.

Comment

This is the first Thanksgiving I didn’t go hunting. We’re out of buck tags until muzzleloader season and have plenty of venison in the freezer. We have several doe tags but aren’t going to fill them on our property, will leave them be. I have no idea what we’ll do tomorrow but I have the day off. Saturday we may hit up some public land 10-15 miles away that our tags are still good for, but mostly just to check out something different. The boy still doesn’t have his own muzzleloader, might be a good weekend to pick one up. Guess I should check out some Black Friday ads.

Comment

I went to the WMA this beautiful morning for the buck only hunt. It was about 60 degF at sunrise with mostly clear skies. It had been a couple of years since I'd last hunted that part. Even though the old logging road path was a little overgrown it was still easy to follow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191130_124054.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	719042

An AR-15 in .300 Blackout was the weapon of choice today with the Barnes 110 grain handloads. Here's a pic of my setup with backpack, rifle, and folding stool:

Name:	Hunting 2019_11_30 01r.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	541.3 KB
ID:	719043
              Five anterless deer ran just below my position around 8:00, moving like the hounds of Hell were after them. I heard coyotes howling shortly after the deer disappeared and I got ready for a shot but never saw one of the critters.

Name:	Hunting 2019_11_30 02r.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	577.3 KB
ID:	719044
              About 10:00, I decided to look for pigs but didn't see any fresh sign. Even the old pig wallow looked like it had not been recently used. I jumped another deer along the way but couldn't see antlers so didn't shoot.

Name:	Hunting 2019_11_30 03r.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	605.7 KB
ID:	719045
              By noon, the temp had climbed into the 70's and the wind kept changing direction. So, I called it a day. A very enjoyable morning.

Comment

Rain today. Not til noon though. I didn't make it out. Worked last night w massive headache.
                No gas when I got up at 6 am. Back to bed.

Might go tomorrow if not raining. Try to vid a Contender Super 14 antlerless tag filling.
                Specialty pistols are cool. Never shot a deer w one.
                Think I won't after tomorrow.

Gonna ditch the Super 14 and use an iron sighted Remington 14 for antlerless next yr.
                I'm a rifle and revolver guy, not an in betweener.

Don't shoot IHMSA anymore. Tolerate a break open pistol, not in rifles though.
                See if I get 'er done (last day of gun tomorrow).

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                  I went to the WMA this beautiful morning for the buck only hunt. It was about 60 degF at sunrise with mostly clear skies. It had been a couple of years since I'd last hunted that part. Even though the old logging road path was a little overgrown it was still easy to follow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191130_124054.jpg Views:	12 Size:	3.09 MB ID:	719042

An AR-15 in .300 Blackout was the weapon of choice today with the Barnes 110 grain handloads. Here's a pic of my setup with backpack, rifle, and folding stool:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hunting 2019_11_30 01r.jpg Views:	11 Size:	541.3 KB ID:	719043
                  Five anterless deer ran just below my position around 8:00, moving like the hounds of Hell were after them. I heard coyotes howling shortly after the deer disappeared and I got ready for a shot but never saw one of the critters.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hunting 2019_11_30 02r.jpg Views:	11 Size:	577.3 KB ID:	719044
                  About 10:00, I decided to look for pigs but didn't see any fresh sign. Even the old pig wallow looked like it had not been recently used. I jumped another deer along the way but couldn't see antlers so didn't shoot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hunting 2019_11_30 03r.jpg Views:	11 Size:	605.7 KB ID:	719045
                  By noon, the temp had climbed into the 70's and the wind kept changing direction. So, I called it a day. A very enjoyable morning.
                  Awesone pics pighunter!
                  That's one of those enjoyable days where you smile back on the day, then that little giggle, "I don't have to mess with a stinking deer!"

Great day!

BTW! DO like the AR!
                  Very slick looking shooter!

Comment

Temp's in the 70's? We won't see that for months!

Yesterday we just kinda kicked back for a while early, my MiL and SiL came over and the girls did some online Black Friday shopping. Later in the afternoon my wife and I headed out of town to hit up a couple stores. Last weekend the boy and I had tied up the carcass from my opening day buck to torment the coyotes. Nothing other than birds had hit it as of yesterday morning. The boy asked if he could go check on it again in the afternoon, got a surprise when there were two bears on it. He was well away from them but still turned around and headed back down to the house. (We'd placed it at the top edge of a meadow, up wind, where it would be well visible from down below.) First thing this morning everything was gone.

Got a bunch of loose end chores finished up today, finally ready for winter which is apparently coming tomorrow. Supposed to get 10"-15" of snow from early morning until midnight Tuesday. Thinking I might reconsider filling a doe tag tomorrow afternoon if we can track one down, would be a good experience for the kid.

Almost forgot, I ordered a CVA Optima V2 yesterday as well, $213 shipped. I'm going to pull the Vortex Diamondback 2-7×35 off my .243 as my daughter won't need the rifle until next year. I'd actually bought the scope a couple years ago knowing I'd be getting a second muzzleloader eventually. I have a couple bullet options on hand but will pick up some 777 pellets to try instead of the loose pyrodex I use in my H&R. Hopefully it will get here in time to get it dialed in before the season opens.
                    Last edited by fitch270; 11-30-2019, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Awesone pics pighunter!
                      That's one of those enjoyable days where you smile back on the day, then that little giggle, "I don't have to mess with a stinking deer!"

Great day!

BTW! DO like the AR!
                      Very slick looking shooter!
                      Thanks Bubba. I'm out of shape and almost didn't go but PigHuntress encouraged me to make the effort and I'm glad she did. It was good for my soul and great exercise to boot! But, it probably would have killed me to pull a buck out of that creek bottom

That AR upper is the only one I've assembled on my own. It's become my favorite. Last year I had it sighted in with the suppressor attached but this season I'm keeping the suppressor on the upper used for subsonics. The suppressor adds 8 inches and a few ounces, which really isn't that bad with a 16-inch barrel. But, I got tired of always swapping the suppressor around from gun to gun. I'm also hunting this coming week without the suppressor on the 6.5 CM bolt-action. Some of the morning I wore electronic muffs and had them ready to don if I ran across a sounder of pigs.

I stopped by Hooters in Tuscaloosa on the way home for a burger and fries. The view there was also entertaining for this old man. Auburn beating Alabama tonight was the icing on the cake!

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                        Temp's in the 70's? We won't see that for months!

Yesterday we just kinda kicked back for a while early, my MiL and SiL came over and the girls did some online Black Friday shopping. Later in the afternoon my wife and I headed out of town to hit up a couple stores. Last weekend the boy and I had tied up the carcass from my opening day buck to torment the coyotes. Nothing other than birds had hit it as of yesterday morning. The boy asked if he could go check on it again in the afternoon, got a surprise when there were two bears on it. He was well away from them but still turned around and headed back down to the house. (We'd placed it at the top edge of a meadow, up wind, where it would be well visible from down below.) First thing this morning everything was gone.

Got a bunch of loose end chores finished up today, finally ready for winter which is apparently coming tomorrow. Supposed to get 10"-15" of snow from early morning until midnight Tuesday. Thinking I might reconsider filling a doe tag tomorrow afternoon if we can track one down, would be a good experience for the kid.
                        Dang Fitch, that's a lot of snow! That would shut us down for days. I had insect repellent in my pocket today, just in case the mosquitoes got too bad.

Is it legal to shoot the bears in your area?

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                          Rain today. Not til noon though. I didn't make it out. Worked last night w massive headache.
                          No gas when I got up at 6 am. Back to bed.

Might go tomorrow if not raining. Try to vid a Contender Super 14 antlerless tag filling.
                          Specialty pistols are cool. Never shot a deer w one.
                          Think I won't after tomorrow.

Gonna ditch the Super 14 and use an iron sighted Remington 14 for antlerless next yr.
                          I'm a rifle and revolver guy, not an in betweener.

Don't shoot IHMSA anymore. Tolerate a break open pistol, not in rifles though.
                          See if I get 'er done (last day of gun tomorrow).

Good luck tomorrow. I hope you'll have a good story to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Thanks Bubba. I'm out of shape and almost didn't go but PigHuntress encouraged me to make the effort and I'm glad she did. It was good for my soul and great exercise to boot! But, it probably would have killed me to pull a buck out of that creek bottom

That AR upper is the only one I've assembled on my own. It's become my favorite. Last year I had it sighted in with the suppressor attached but this season I'm keeping the suppressor on the upper used for subsonics. The suppressor adds 8 inches and a few ounces, which really isn't that bad with a 16-inch barrel. But, I got tired of always swapping the suppressor around from gun to gun. I'm also hunting this coming week without the suppressor on the 6.5 CM bolt-action. Some of the morning I wore electronic muffs and had them ready to don if I ran across a sounder of pigs.

I stopped by Hooters in Tuscaloosa on the way home for a burger and fries. The view there was also entertaining for this old man. Auburn beating Alabama tonight was the icing on the cake!
                            Worked with a dear friend who attended Georgia Tech. I used to tease him about, "them thar Georgia Tech Bulldogs" and he'd light into me as best a preacher could and we'd have a big laugh.
                            I feel for him today.

Georgia - 52
                            Georgia Tech - 7

Poor old Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Worked with a dear friend who attended Georgia Tech. I used to tease him about, "them thar Georgia Tech Bulldogs" and he'd light into me as best a preacher could and we'd have a big laugh.
                              I feel for him today.

Georgia - 52
                              Georgia Tech - 7

Poor old Paul.
                              Yep, Georgia Tech has a difficult time in recruiting. Those Georgia fans can get almost as obnoxious as the Alabama fans, lol!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad