Last buck on my land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last buck on my land

this is the last buck I will take here as I've sold the place. 70 or so yards, down hill angle. The doe pics were pretty bloody and they all look the same so I'll leave them off. The old 7-08 with noslers 120 gr bt. Run downhill discombobulated. Come next June there won't be a tree left on this hillside. Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20191122_082159.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	718855

Originally posted by dewman View Post
    this is the last buck I will take here as I've sold the place. 70 or so yards, down hill angle. The doe pics were pretty bloody and they all look the same so I'll leave them off. The old 7-08 with noslers 120 gr bt. Run downhill discombobulated. Come next June there won't be a tree left on this hillside. Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20191122_082159.jpg Views:	14 Size:	226.1 KB ID:	718855
    Heck of an 8 point there dewman!
    Congrats!
    Nice shooting!
    Fantastic deer for a door closer.

Comment

Congrats Dewman, bittersweet deer no doubt. Any taxidermy plans for him?

Comment

Fitch270: no, don't mount heads just some of the racks. Now, if I'd taken a mulie like your boys.....,., 😏

Comment

I have just one shoulder mount , my first and also largest buck to date. Came off the farm 28 years ago, before QDM was a thing. Likely the last for me.

The boy's trophy is going to look great but I have no idea where we'll be able to hang it. He says in his room but I'm not sure it will fit, very limited wall space with opposing knee walls and 45* roof angles.

Hope your new place has a spot for old memories to help it feel like home.

Comment

Fitch270: no, don't mount heads just some of the racks. Now, if I'd taken a mulie like your boys.....,., 😏
            That would make a killer Euro mount if you haven't already capped him.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

That would make a killer Euro mount if you haven't already capped him.
              already did, never thought about an euro mount.

Comment

already did, never thought about an euro mount.
                Not a problem! They make fake Euro mount skulls.
                I've never tried one, but they look relatively simple.

Comment

Well I’m happy you went out on a high note.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                    Well I’m happy you went out on a high note.
                    Thanks Dawg. Good to see your success as well. After the floods, the robbery, and the constant site changes & revamps I was afraid you'd say adios. Hope you are shooting your other guns often as well. You and your family stay safe, build those memories, and whenever possible, take pics.

Comment

Thanks Dawg. Good to see your success as well. After the floods, the robbery, and the constant site changes & revamps I was afraid you'd say adios. Hope you are shooting your other guns often as well. You and your family stay safe, build those memories, and whenever possible, take pics.
                      Well I am trying. You are correct that the last couple of years has been tough. But that’s life. I work more now than I ever have. But I do take A day at least once a month to spend time with my grandsons. Things haven’t worked out to take them hunting. I want there dad to go with them I’m not going to be so rude as to not take him when they go the first time with out him. Things out of our control have prevented that this year. But we are thinking we maybe be able to squeeze in some late season squirrel hunting. And no I don’t get to shoot as much as I want to but that’s life I guess. Again glad to see you going out of high note. Don’t be a stranger.

Comment

That's a good way to go out. Nice photo. I do hope trees will be coming back on the place. Hopefully it won't get covered with a bunch of homes and driveways. Seems to be the North American way these days. Makes me want to cry.

Here's a faux skull job on a couple of moose sheds I did for my daughter's business. It was a SOB!! I used a disk sander on Shopsmith to flatten the buttons and Forster bit to drill out the holes in antlers for the pegs. Very hard work! Getting the horns lined up properly was also a real challenge! The fake skulls look "okay" ... not terribly realistic but not bad from a distance.

I would cap mount this one. Go to Mackenzie Taxidermy Supplies (or Van Dykes which is now the same outfit) and order the cap mounting form and plaques. I can't make the plaques as cheap as they sell them. Use a disk sander on a drill to shape the cap to fit the form. Then glue it in place with Bondo. I use leather or velvet to cover the form, depending on the client's preference. Some clients want the rope around the buttons but I don't care for it. Takes more time to fit the fabric without the rope to cover things up. Most taxidermists are into the quick and painless method. You can pick up the rope at any fabric place that deals with drapery. Usually lots of different colours and thickness to choose from. Most taxidermists use a glue gun to stick it on. I will fix rope in place with glue gun and then supplement with epoxy behind the antlers. Glue gun stuff is not terribly durable. Epoxy is there for good.
                        Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 11-28-2019, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Dewman , congrats on the fine buck and the taking it with your beloved 700 BDL 7-08. With it being the last deer season on your home place it’s all so fitting that you did it your way. I’m sorry for your troubles these past couple years that lead to the sad events you have shared . Through your past writing I see the land you lived on as part of you and as you leave it neither will be the same. I hope as you turn the page you find things to keep you happy and outdoors doing the things you love . I also hope to continue your contributions to this site with your grounded and solid opinions . Best wishes to you and your family in the future.

Comment

Thank you pmacc60, having neighbors so close is a difficult adjustment. I keep waking up at night thinking someone's here. My wife seems to prefer here, maybe because town is so close. I think moving off a good size chunk of ground that's yours is a lot like divorcing someone when divorce is all their idea. You go on fairly normal with your life but then some little thing reminds you of them and you get mad because you're not together anymore.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad