No announcement yet.

Advice for hunting from a ground blind.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for hunting from a ground blind.

I figured a little something out this year. I hunt from a large ground blind with a 6 foot zipper. I quit using the zipper to get in and out. I now step the a window. Much quieter. And I think the proof is in the pudding. I’ve seen more deer and killed two already this year. There not the extremely loud zip open and closed any more. And the failure point on the last two blinds has been the big zipper so if I can get more life out of a blind then I’m happy. Just thought I would pass that along. Something to consider.

Interesting. Most of the time in the field, I use an Ameristep Doghouse blind and never leave it overnight. The zippers are not very loud.

I also have a hub style that is used primarily to take yard deer here at home. It does have a loud zipper on the door so most of the time I just leave that undone. The blind is stiff enough and really doesn't need that opening fastened.

Here's the Doghouse in my favorite swamp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ameristep Doghouse.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	718818

https://www.amazon.com/Ameristep-Dog...s%2C156&sr=8-4

Comment

I cant seem to get but about 2 years out of a popup.
      Guess if I didn't leave them out all season, they might do better.

Since my two or three hunting spots are permanent, I just build box blinds....and keep the door hinges oiled! LOL!

Comment

I hunted in a ground blind in a snow storm and after it was over, the heat from the blind had melted and froze the zipper. Had to crawl out under the side.

Comment

We’re into our forth year with the Cabela’s blind and it’s been up all of May, plus Labor Day through December for all of them. Figure about 16 months set up outside without issue other than two of the four anchor grommets popping out. I just use a fender washer on the stake for those tabs now.

W also started leaving the windows we use open after having a couple different does stare at the blind then drift off. Wind was good, the only thing I could figure was that it looked different with the open windows looking blacked out instead of the camo fabric. The blind is faded where the sun has beat down on it, I may just spray paint the window fabric black next spring. Zippers aren’t very loud and I think it would be easier on the blind to keep it closed up rather than letting the wind push in from the outside.

Comment

My zippers are loud as heck but I also stretch my blind tight I’ve found it helps keep them up in the wind. Mine has been outside since 2018. It showing it age but it also was completely underwater this year also.

Comment

And I only barronett blinds I maybe misspelling that but they are huge and I love them.

Comment

I had a Doghouse for a few yrs.
                Kept me dry.
                Hunted some horrible weather in it.
                Of course I didn't see diddly those days.
                Hate the limited visibility of being on the ground in a friggin tent.
                Tree stand, still hunt..........or sit and move sit and move.
                No more blinds for me.

Might have mentioned, I hate em.

Only thing I might conisder, a box blind, elevated. Hell even an elevated hard sided no top blind might be OK (keep the wind off).

While pop ups and box blinds may be effective, I think they act as a barrier between me and the outdoors.

Seems silly to drive and hike to get way out, then insulate one's self from what's around them.

On bigger ground I like to have multiple stands. I can hunt one, get bored.........still hunt to the other, then hunt it. Or maybe never get into a stand, just park my butt in a spot for a while, then move a bit, then park again (repeat).

I suppose blinds are the way to go when taking a kid.

Bomb cyclone...........windy. I HATE HATE HATE wind.
                Anything over 12 MPH has my blood boiling.
                No shooting on ranges, no hunting.

So with todays howling, just going to the bank, store and then work.............I am super honked off.

Wind. Hate it more than ground blinds.

Text cuz and see what tomorrow morning's plans are. If windy I'll just grill deer and drink beer.

Comment

The boy and I both would prefer not to sit in a blind as well, but one huge advantage was that he could get a bunch of homework done. Was nice that we could sit afternoons after work/school and he wouldn’t have to stay up late.

Comment

"... While pop ups and box blinds may be effective, I think they act as a barrier between me and the outdoors.

Seems silly to drive and hike to get way out, then insulate one's self from what's around them. ..." cd2

As a kid, I spent many more days than I care to recall, humped up on a limb or tree stand in the cold, wet or wind.
                    I was young and tough back then. LOL!
                    Now I have a metallic hip implant and a metallic shoulder implant. I don't give a red rat's rear HOW much clothing you put on, implants get cold.
                    No more tree stands! I no longer bounce! I just go, "SPLAT!".
                    SOOOO......
                    I build box blinds!
                    I sit inside as comfortable as possible.
                    It has a bench and bags to steady my gun.
                    It has enough room I can stand and stretch.
                    It can be heated if I wish.

Comment

I feel that way also but as i type this from inside a blind atm. I like them because i can stretch eat do almost anything. But the biggest reason is rain. I can be cold I can be wet. I don’t do both at the same time well. And i pretty much hunt by myself. Ladder stands and climbers just seem a risky proposition an hour from medical facilities. And I have to many people counting on me. I guess I should say putting ladders and lock on any myself seems risky and a lot of work for one guy. I haven’t had a good high wind day to go walk this place yet this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                        And I only barronett blinds I maybe misspelling that but they are huge and I love them.
                        only kind I own now as well. Man, they are quick to put up. Best thing is their price doesn't take my breath away😀

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                          I feel that way also but as i type this from inside a blind atm. I like them because i can stretch eat do almost anything. But the biggest reason is rain. I can be cold I can be wet. I don’t do both at the same time well. And i pretty much hunt by myself. Ladder stands and climbers just seem a risky proposition an hour from medical facilities. And I have to many people counting on me. I guess I should say putting ladders and lock on any myself seems risky and a lot of work for one guy. I haven’t had a good high wind day to go walk this place yet this year.
                          'dawg
                          The orthopedic surgeon that did my hip implant (May 2005) is an avid deer hunter.
                          After surgery, he asked me if I hunted. "Yes sir!"
                          He told me he also did spinal reconstructions. "I probably work on 5 to 7 people every year who have fallen from tree stands! Most end up paraplegic. Use your harness!"
                          I had a better idea!
                          NO MORE TREE STANDS! Of any type!

To me, an "elevated" stand is a box blind on 34" saw horses! LOL!
                          I've had all the pain I want for my remaining lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                            I had a Doghouse for a few yrs.
                            Kept me dry.
                            Hunted some horrible weather in it.
                            Of course I didn't see diddly those days.
                            Hate the limited visibility of being on the ground in a friggin tent.
                            Tree stand, still hunt..........or sit and move sit and move.
                            No more blinds for me.

Might have mentioned, I hate em.

Only thing I might conisder, a box blind, elevated. Hell even an elevated hard sided no top blind might be OK (keep the wind off).

While pop ups and box blinds may be effective, I think they act as a barrier between me and the outdoors.

Seems silly to drive and hike to get way out, then insulate one's self from what's around them.

On bigger ground I like to have multiple stands. I can hunt one, get bored.........still hunt to the other, then hunt it. Or maybe never get into a stand, just park my butt in a spot for a while, then move a bit, then park again (repeat).

I suppose blinds are the way to go when taking a kid.

Bomb cyclone...........windy. I HATE HATE HATE wind.
                            Anything over 12 MPH has my blood boiling.
                            No shooting on ranges, no hunting.

So with todays howling, just going to the bank, store and then work.............I am super honked off.

Wind. Hate it more than ground blinds.

Text cuz and see what tomorrow morning's plans are. If windy I'll just grill deer and drink beer.
                            LOL! That's a whole lotta griping in one post.

Comment

I dont mind a slight breeze now and then but it seems as though its its more windy these days.....freq and intensity.

Used to shoot a lot and hunt way more. Hate the wind.
                              Cold and rain? Fine. Just keep the wind away, or under 10 mph.

Two yrs ago deer season here was very cold and winds 20-40 mph. Except for next to last day
                              Calm and crisp told my bud todays rhe day. Saw a couple in the dark driving over. Had my 8 pt down within 2 hrs.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How Many Died
                                by CD2
                                Drug addicts are like drowning people.
                                They will probably pull you under if you get close to try and save them.
                                They are pulling society down...
                                Today, 02:38 AM
                              • How Many Died
                                by jhjimbo
                                On Tucker Carlson last night he said 750,000 died from Opioid overdose in a ten year period. More then WW I, WW II, Korea, Vietnam, combined.
                                01-16-2020, 11:04 AM
                              • Reply to How Many Died
                                by CD2
                                You are right, back in the day, 30 yrs or so ago, a guy could be a bit of a dumbarse and clean himself up, get a factory job or education and be civilized/normal....
                                Today, 02:36 AM
                              • Reply to How Many Died
                                by CD2
                                Kids today, most of them, have way over inflated egos.
                                Mommy and daddy have told them they're special, when they aren't.
                                Social media warps...
                                Today, 02:22 AM
                              • Reply to How Many Died
                                by CD2
                                Blue collar town.
                                Urbans and hillbillies (democrats).
                                There are some good kids.
                                But the public school system has mostly liberal teachers/admins...
                                Today, 02:18 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X