First buck with 25-06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First buck with 25-06

• Got this legal 6 point yesterday at about 4:20 p.m. He was running with a spike. I’ve seen him once before but couldn’t tell if he was legal. Same two deer. This time the vortex viper hd binoculars helped tremendously. It just keeps getting thicker where I hunt. Anyways shoot him about 60 yards little closer than the last doe. Under the same tree eating acorns. He not a monster but I really don’t care he’s legal. Quartering to me a few degrees down hill. Barnes vortx 100 ttx. Blew the should joint out which in turn took out enough of the heart and clipped the lungs. Didn’t bleed a lot. Ran about sixty yards 20 of it falling down a hill. That I had to drag him back up the old fallen down barb wire fence would have put a hole in my four wheeler tire so he got me back. And he ran into a dang thicket. But anyways got him out and hung up and got him broke down this morning. I didn’t think I wanna soon a have time to hunt this year and I’ve more time to hunt than I have had in 5 years. I’m just happy to be in the woods. Big deer little deer does. Just so long as I can hunt.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
    • Got this legal 6 point yesterday at about 4:20 p.m. He was running with a spike. I’ve seen him once before but couldn’t tell if he was legal. Same two deer. This time the vortex viper hd binoculars helped tremendously. It just keeps getting thicker where I hunt. Anyways shoot him about 60 yards little closer than the last doe. Under the same tree eating acorns. He not a monster but I really don’t care he’s legal. Quartering to me a few degrees down hill. Barnes vortx 100 ttx. Blew the should joint out which in turn took out enough of the heart and clipped the lungs. Didn’t bleed a lot. Ran about sixty yards 20 of it falling down a hill. That I had to drag him back up the old fallen down barb wire fence would have put a hole in my four wheeler tire so he got me back. And he ran into a dang thicket. But anyways got him out and hung up and got him broke down this morning. I didn’t think I wanna soon a have time to hunt this year and I’ve more time to hunt than I have had in 5 years. I’m just happy to be in the woods. Big deer little deer does. Just so long as I can hunt.
    Heck! He'll do!
    Cain't eat them dang horns ennyhow!
    So, I presume you're liking the .25-06?

Comment

Congratulations dawg. Glad to see you having fun with your new rifle

Comment

I’m sold on it. Although I think the Barnes bullet is too tough for these smaller deer. Not much of an exit hole. But I’m used to using hornady sst and they expand to say the least.

Comment

Nice animals. You do realize if you take two more animals with that rifle, under rule 8 of the rifle hunters code, you have to have a cool pet nickname for your 25-06 that you and the rest of us will utilize. Glad to hear from you Dawg.

Comment

Dewman, I didn’t know that but if and where the need arises I will name it and inform all. Thank you. It is good to hear from you also.

Comment

Good buck ‘dawg, looks like the ones we have around here.
              You might want to try the Nosler Ballistic Tips, performance wise they probably would fall right between the SST’s and TTSX’s for you.

Comment

Fitch my 25-06 only likes the Barnes ttx I’ve tried everything else from 100 grain to 120 grain. And the only thing it groups consistently is the Barnes vortx. And my how it works well when I do my part. I think I bought 8 different factory loads before I bought the Barnes. But the place I buy my Barnes sells nosler loaded ammo since I don’t reload.

Comment

Congrats 🎉
                  meat in the freezer is always a good thing.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Five Senators
                    by 99explorer
                    BHR - Guilt has already been established.
                    The only question before the Senate is whether the president's conduct is serious enough to warrant removal
                    Today, 12:49 AM
                  • Five Senators
                    by jhjimbo
                    The game plan of the DEMS is to get the 5 Senators who are up for election in Nov, to break with the Conservatives and join the DEMS in voting for impeachment....
                    Yesterday, 12:27 PM
                  • Reply to Hope it's still OK to post hunting topics
                    by 99explorer
                    Buckhunter - Welcome back. Glad you kept trying.
                    Today, 12:39 AM
                  • Hope it's still OK to post hunting topics
                    by Amflyer

Took the pup out for a hunt on public land. Late-season public hunts stink around here, so I wasn't hopeful. But took along the camera and...
                    01-21-2020, 02:16 PM
                  • Reply to Ponder This
                    by bowhunter75richard
                    As far as the chinks are concerned, the US has put itself into a very dangerous position with it’s association with that POS country. I would not trust...
                    Yesterday, 11:21 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X