Deer allergy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer allergy?

NO idea just how many deer I've gutted, skinned and processed over the years!
    Fifty?
    Sixty?
    A hundred?
    Not all of them my kills!
    NEVER had an allergy problem!
    Anyone out there know of or experienced a "deer allergy"?

First 6.8 kill https://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132313

I've never heard of that Bubba.

Comment

Lots of folks with pet allergies (dogs & cats) so why not deer. Don't know anyone who has it but it doesn't sound far fetched to me.

Comment

Read somewhere that someone actually broke out in hives and his eye swelling from the blood. Thought it was a bunch of b.s. I’m sure there’s some kind of allergy out there from them considering how many new ones we have.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
          Read somewhere that someone actually broke out in hives and his eye swelling from the blood. Thought it was a bunch of b.s. I’m sure there’s some kind of allergy out there from them considering how many new ones we have.
          I've heard of "blood" allergies, but never a "deer" allergy.
          All animals have dander and it's dander that causes most allergic reactions to cats and dogs.
          I guess, why not deer too?

Comment

Could be dander or something the deer got into - poison oak, etc. I do know some people are allergic to eating beef, so maybe there is an allergy to cutting the deer meat ?? Or, maybe an allergy to the various scent glands.

Comment

All I've heard about is a virus you can get from ticks that makes you intolerant of red meat. What a curse that would be.

I know that some people are allergic to the legume family -- not just peanuts, but even peas and beans. Since that allergy can be triggered by the tiniest amount, I'd guess that the allergic person might be at risk if they hunt deer that feed in soybean food-plots or any other legume field. There'd be traces on the deer, probably, and in its digestive system while field-dressing (if the hunter wasn't careful and punctured the stomach or intestines).

That sounds pretty far-fetched, I suppose, but I know the peanut reaction can be triggered by some pretty harmless-seeming circumstances.

Comment

Depending on whether there were other symptoms, it could be some variation of the bubonic plague.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/18/healt...cli/index.html

Comment

Coworker touches deer hide and breaks out bad. Deer hunts but has to wear gloves touching deer. Not a mild reaction either. Yup ..its legit.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad