Last season at my home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last season at my home.

Due to health I've had to sell our home and move app 80 miles east so this was my last deer season on my own ground. Brother and his son hunted with me as they have for decades. Had the first hogs ever as a pair ran past us as we were coming out opening day. Did not know they got to be waist high. Second day there were 3 bald eagles on our one gutpile(4deer). Got to within about 50 yds before they flew up into nearest tall tree and we got within feet of them before they flew off. Took 7 deer this weekend and will post pics and stories later. Went to where grandparents house and next to it moms house to show brother how they were bulldozed level along with all barns,sheds, and shop. Like they never existed. They cleared our valley, dammed it, and now selling 1.5 acre lakefront lots. Owners have to sign paper promising the house they build will be of one million dollars insured value. Like the woods and streams of my Michigan youth our 1500 family acres are now subdivisions, gas stations and atm's. Made it hard to enjoy being up to our necks in deer. Cherish what you have and the time as well. Stay safe and shoot straight.

I read your post with a heavy heart.
    I've faced past opening days without a grandparent, a parent and many friends. Not like losing inherited hunting ground, but lost a 29 year hunting lease.

The best to you and family. I look forward to your pics and story.

God Bless!

Comment

Most sorry Dewman to read your words ! With the growing advancement of urban life into our once rural areas, it is causing much despair amongst many former hunters who have had the privilege of good access to productive areas, they now being lost due to encroachment. I too have experienced this problem, as I am sure many others have, and have sad feelings for your situation. This being added to gun issues, is a double barrel slam to our hunting activities and enjoyment ! If there is anyway to make the best of this, I wish you good luck 😥

Comment

Dang that's tough all around. I'm glad you've at least had a good last season there. That's pretty special getting so close to the eagles!

Being closer to doctors and hospitals is one of the reasons we live in a subdivision and not in the woods. I had the choice 7 years ago to either do that or buy 40 acres further out. Right now there are woods behind and to one side of the house which helps in taking a yard deer or two every year. However, I bet that will change if the economy continues to be good.

My long term plan is to downsize to a condo by the time I turn 70. That way I won't be burdened with yard work or any land upkeep in retirement. Eventually, it will get too risky for me to hunt public land alone in my 70's so I can easily see going on guided hunts... the good Lord willing and the Creek doesn't rise.

Thanks for the post. What rifle and load did you carry into the woods?

Comment

PH: Have a 1/2 dozen fine rifles to choose from but it had to be the old 7-08 mod 700. If I can find any good cell pics from the weekend I'll post them later with any relevant details. Little brother knew the situation so he bought a small place up in the woods with a good chunk of land to go with it but it's almost 100 miles of where I'll be living. No quick overnight or drive up hunts for me.
          p.s. 120 gr. Nosler BT's in their load are wicked killers. Penetration was acceptable also. Might still go back to 140 gr. Fusions. Little less messy.

Comment

It's been since the mid 1990's since I last used a B-Tip on game. I've heard they now hold together better than then. Is that true?

A hundred miles is pushing it. That's how far I drive one-way to the boat landing when I hunt in my favorite swamp. That makes for a long day if not staying overnight in a local hotel. My favorite WMA spot is only 56 miles one way.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
              It's been since the mid 1990's since I last used a B-Tip on game. I've heard they now hold together better than then. Is that true?

A hundred miles is pushing it. That's how far I drive one-way to the boat landing when I hunt in my favorite swamp. That makes for a long day if not staying overnight in a local hotel. My favorite WMA spot is only 56 miles one way.
              first time using a ballistic tip. These held together fine, no schrapnel did I find. No spines or shoulders hit so no recovered bullets. Nephew uses those Winchester deer season xp's.(308) Lots of bilateral trauma. His buck took one on near shoulder and drt but bullet segmented. Believe the doe's bullet is in her gutpile somewhere, again believe bullet deflected and changed course. My 3 had short bloody trails maybe for 50 or less yards. Bodies folded on impact, easy to tell I connected as they all ran discombobulated. All shots (8) close to 100 yds give or take. Brother shot his buck twice(308 150gr core-lost). Didn't need the 2nd but he was excited. Head shot doe as she was looking straight away. Came out between her eyes, as did quite a bit of brains.

Comment

I get the feeling you’re showing appreciation for what you’ve been blessed with more than morning what you’ve lost. Pretty powerful message coming up on Thanksgiving, thank you sir. Time’s marching on for all of us. Hoping the move is good for your long term well being as well as those around you.

Glad to hear those BT’s didn’t disappoint.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                  Due to health I've had to sell our home and move app 80 miles east so this was my last deer season on my own ground. Brother and his son hunted with me as they have for decades. Had the first hogs ever as a pair ran past us as we were coming out opening day. Did not know they got to be waist high. Second day there were 3 bald eagles on our one gutpile(4deer). Got to within about 50 yds before they flew up into nearest tall tree and we got within feet of them before they flew off. Took 7 deer this weekend and will post pics and stories later. Went to where grandparents house and next to it moms house to show brother how they were bulldozed level along with all barns,sheds, and shop. Like they never existed. They cleared our valley, dammed it, and now selling 1.5 acre lakefront lots. Owners have to sign paper promising the house they build will be of one million dollars insured value. Like the woods and streams of my Michigan youth our 1500 family acres are now subdivisions, gas stations and atm's. Made it hard to enjoy being up to our necks in deer. Cherish what you have and the time as well. Stay safe and shoot straight.
                  I can't say that I feel your pain, but I can relate to it. My grandfather's farm that had been passed due through the generations since the 1860's is now covered with houses.

I look forward to the pictures and stories of your hunts.

Comment

Dewman - Sorry to her of your misfortune. We feel your pain.
                    Best wishes for good health in the new year.

Comment

My grandparents just sold their place in the country this year. I feel your pain. Your post weights on my heart. I will be taking my grandson deer hunting for the first time this weekend, this just reminds me to take pictures and cherish it even more.

Comment

I have lost a few prime hunting areas over the years. Property sold and developed, or I take a guest and he takes over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                          first time using a ballistic tip. These held together fine, no schrapnel did I find. No spines or shoulders hit so no recovered bullets. Nephew uses those Winchester deer season xp's.(308) Lots of bilateral trauma. His buck took one on near shoulder and drt but bullet segmented. Believe the doe's bullet is in her gutpile somewhere, again believe bullet deflected and changed course. My 3 had short bloody trails maybe for 50 or less yards. Bodies folded on impact, easy to tell I connected as they all ran discombobulated. All shots (8) close to 100 yds give or take. Brother shot his buck twice(308 150gr core-lost). Didn't need the 2nd but he was excited. Head shot doe as she was looking straight away. Came out between her eyes, as did quite a bit of brains.
                          In my Son's and Grandson's .308's I load a compressed load with Nosler 125 grain Balistics tips. They are traveling about 3300 FPS . Neither has trouble with them and they both swear by them. My son was following a buck and didn't see a 6 inch pine tree and shot clear through the 6 inch pine tree. They don't blow up like everyone thinks they do.

Comment

I would love to move back to Montana. But I have three great dogs buried at my home in Ontario. And my wife and son sleep in the cemetery across the street from the university where she worked and our kids grew up at day care. Daughter and grandson live at the church's rectory three blocks away from my house. He is Papa's boy. We have a very close bond that is difficult to understand. I never really felt that place was home, probably because I was gone so much. But I can't leave it now. Can't leave the free medical care either. Coming back here is always "coming home." It will break my heart when I can't make the trip any longer. I feel your pain Dewman.

Comment

Kind words gentlemen, thank you. Have the price adjusted.( He thought he'd buy it at pasture value, log it and keep the cash toward the land cost-wrong) Papers signed, they take over December 9th. Logging in June, I'll get 70% from the timber. Hunted there last time today. Not from my blind, but the oaks me and Harold hunted so many times. Blue skies and 50's. Was a good day.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Season ends
                                by Amflyer
                                Got-dammit Mtnhunter, that's not news I'm keen to hear. Keep at it man, and have a blessed Christmas. Slàinte Mhath, and RTR!...
                                Yesterday, 11:57 PM
                              • Season ends
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After...
                                Yesterday, 12:41 AM
                              • Reply to End of an era
                                by Milldawg
                                Dew man guy who owns the land a farm of his wants the spot so I’m out. All of this started since there is monster running around out there....
                                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                              • End of an era
                                by Milldawg
                                Well lost my hunting spot of 7 years last Saturday. So now I’m joining the lease crowd. Any advice this will be my first year leasing ground next year....
                                Yesterday, 03:35 PM
                              • Reply to Season ends
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run,...
                                Yesterday, 10:39 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X