Clear All

• Milldawg
    replied
    Nice buck!

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

My mistake. I thought Bubba started the "Tagged Punched" thread. Nice buck. Nice shot! My shooting actually involved very little "luck." The buck was just out of bed and trying to run up a very steep canyon wall. Not able to move real fast. I generally do not take running shots but was quite confident I could put the bullet where I wanted it. Turns out I was better shot than I give myself credit. I was leading him just a bit and that's where bullet impacted. Good follow through. I credit that to a lot of time on the skeet and clays range.

I'm guessing this buck was 250 lbs plus. Very similar in size to my brother's buck last year and he weighed in at CWD check station as 275 lbs. No meat lost on this one. One of the cleanest kills I've made.
    No problem, just having a little fun.
    I’m not in the habit of taking running shots either, but I pulled the gun up just because. I wasn’t expecting to get on the deer but the angle of him running right to left and the speed just brought him right into the scope set at 4x. The sight picture was perfect and I just instinctively pulled the trigger on the swing. Saw him hitch mid stride so I knew I connected, he piled up just out of sight.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied

My mistake. I thought Bubba started the "Tagged Punched" thread.
    Bubba said he's not able to hunt right now due to recovering from shoulder surgery.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    Hey, it’s my thunder you’re stealing, and rightfully so with that bruiser! Great deer sir.

I walked down to the house for the loader to bring out my buck, trying to save ruining my back for work.
    My mistake. I thought Bubba started the "Tagged Punched" thread. Nice buck. Nice shot! My shooting actually involved very little "luck." The buck was just out of bed and trying to run up a very steep canyon wall. Not able to move real fast. I generally do not take running shots but was quite confident I could put the bullet where I wanted it. Turns out I was better shot than I give myself credit. I was leading him just a bit and that's where bullet impacted. Good follow through. I credit that to a lot of time on the skeet and clays range.

I'm guessing this buck was 250 lbs plus. Very similar in size to my brother's buck last year and he weighed in at CWD check station as 275 lbs. No meat lost on this one. One of the cleanest kills I've made.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by rock rat View Post
    Nice buck Honker, neck puffed up like a football player. I've a question about the "only a 4x4". I don't know much about antlers but doesn't a 4x indicate a full grown, and can sometimes be fairly old? I shot a large bodied 4x a few years ago that looked pretty old, lotsa gray in the face and worn teeth, couple of broken tines but he was the one with the doe group he he. Tag soup for me in the deer department this year.
    The "ideal" muley is a 5x5 with good brow tines. Like the one I shot last year. A buck with no brow tines (fairly common with muleys) and still 4x4 is "acceptable." This one was 4x4 INCLUDING brow tines. He did not have typical split on end of main beams. A very nice buck but not something folks here would have mounted. My brother missed getting a shot at three bucks today, all as nice as this guy. Pretty sure the one I spotted for him late this afternoon at 300 yards was with my buck yesterday when I shot him. Wind was blowing way too hard for a shot like that. At one point I thought the skin would blow off my face. Opened my mouth to sneeze and my cheeks flapped like a hound dog in a pickup truck. Too late in the day for dicey long shots with no snow on the ground for tracking blood.

Leave a comment:

• rock rat
    replied
    Nice buck Honker, neck puffed up like a football player. I've a question about the "only a 4x4". I don't know much about antlers but doesn't a 4x indicate a full grown, and can sometimes be fairly old? I shot a large bodied 4x a few years ago that looked pretty old, lotsa gray in the face and worn teeth, couple of broken tines but he was the one with the doe group he he. Tag soup for me in the deer department this year.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

A taxidermist friend would not take an animal the day it was killed. He wanted it to cool down so the ticks and fleas jumped off before he brought it in.
    When blood flow stops and body temp begins to drop, external parasites (fleas, ticks and lice) vacate the premises.
    They feed on blood. Due to the colder temps, they don't have much time to find a new host to set up house.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied

A taxidermist friend would not take an animal the day it was killed. He wanted it to cool down so the ticks and fleas jumped off before he brought it in.
    My processor has an external cooler for leaving the deer, if arriving after he's closed for the day.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied

That deer would not go uphill with two old farts working on him. I would have tried the "gutless" method of field dressing if we hadn't had access to Rod's buggy. Everyone is doing the gutless method here now because brain and spinal cord have to be left in field or the dump due to CWD prevention regs. Would not have been pleasant task in those muddy conditions. We skinned him on the street in town laying on a tarp under street light with headlights. Got a lot of hair on it but otherwise came out very clean. He goes to the butcher today. The guy wouldn't take him last night.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    Nice buck Honker ! It appears there was a great change in weather from 11-11 to 11-16, a foot of snow gone in that period of time, also single digit temps. Must have been much nicer hunting !

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    "... Gee, I'm sure you guys know how much it bothers me to steal Bubba's thunder. Pffft. ..."

"STEAL" my thunder? LMBO!
    You start posting whitetail, turkey and feral pig stories and we can share "thunder"!

BTW! Helluva nice buck!
    Yeah, I've snatched 'em up and walked off with 'em too.
    But not since 1991!

Congrats Honk!
    Keep on truckin'! ...with thought and caution!

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Nice deer.. At your age you should refrain from pulling deer uphill. Downhill only, with snow if possible.
    That deer would not go uphill with two old farts working on him. I would have tried the "gutless" method of field dressing if we hadn't had access to Rod's buggy. Everyone is doing the gutless method here now because brain and spinal cord have to be left in field or the dump due to CWD prevention regs. Would not have been pleasant task in those muddy conditions. We skinned him on the street in town laying on a tarp under street light with headlights. Got a lot of hair on it but otherwise came out very clean. He goes to the butcher today. The guy wouldn't take him last night.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    OHH, how’s the rut going out there? It doesn’t seem possible we’ve been back two weeks already, it hadn’t started then. Seems to be a little late here at home, just curious if the bucks are moving more there now too.

BTW, That buck mounted would be a good advertising piece for your daughter’s business.
    The rut is sorta started. We see some bunches of deer and a few with bucks. But a lot of does and fawns running around with no bucks. Watched a big whitetail on Thursday that must have been in the rut. He was walking across a wheat field stiff legged with nose to ground and his tail up and standing stiff. Too far away to get a good look at his rack. These two big bucks should not have been together and alone if the rut was in full swing.

I shot this one in the neck and exited in the cape area of shoulder on the other side. Not worth it to try repairing. She has the kudu coming from Africa to work with yet. That will be a showpiece hard to beat.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    OHH, how’s the rut going out there? It doesn’t seem possible we’ve been back two weeks already, it hadn’t started then. Seems to be a little late here at home, just curious if the bucks are moving more there now too.

BTW, That buck mounted would be a good advertising piece for your daughter’s business.
    Last edited by fitch270; 11-17-2019, 06:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    Congratulations Honk nice big bodied Buck! You’ve been on a roll here past couple years!

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad