Big Box Canyon Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rock rat View Post
    Nice buck Honker, neck puffed up like a football player. I've a question about the "only a 4x4". I don't know much about antlers but doesn't a 4x indicate a full grown, and can sometimes be fairly old? I shot a large bodied 4x a few years ago that looked pretty old, lotsa gray in the face and worn teeth, couple of broken tines but he was the one with the doe group he he. Tag soup for me in the deer department this year.
    The "ideal" muley is a 5x5 with good brow tines. Like the one I shot last year. A buck with no brow tines (fairly common with muleys) and still 4x4 is "acceptable." This one was 4x4 INCLUDING brow tines. He did not have typical split on end of main beams. A very nice buck but not something folks here would have mounted. My brother missed getting a shot at three bucks today, all as nice as this guy. Pretty sure the one I spotted for him late this afternoon at 300 yards was with my buck yesterday when I shot him. Wind was blowing way too hard for a shot like that. At one point I thought the skin would blow off my face. Opened my mouth to sneeze and my cheeks flapped like a hound dog in a pickup truck. Too late in the day for dicey long shots with no snow on the ground for tracking blood.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
      Hey, it’s my thunder you’re stealing, and rightfully so with that bruiser! Great deer sir.

I walked down to the house for the loader to bring out my buck, trying to save ruining my back for work.
      My mistake. I thought Bubba started the "Tagged Punched" thread. Nice buck. Nice shot! My shooting actually involved very little "luck." The buck was just out of bed and trying to run up a very steep canyon wall. Not able to move real fast. I generally do not take running shots but was quite confident I could put the bullet where I wanted it. Turns out I was better shot than I give myself credit. I was leading him just a bit and that's where bullet impacted. Good follow through. I credit that to a lot of time on the skeet and clays range.

I'm guessing this buck was 250 lbs plus. Very similar in size to my brother's buck last year and he weighed in at CWD check station as 275 lbs. No meat lost on this one. One of the cleanest kills I've made.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

My mistake. I thought Bubba started the "Tagged Punched" thread.
        Bubba said he's not able to hunt right now due to recovering from shoulder surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

My mistake. I thought Bubba started the "Tagged Punched" thread. Nice buck. Nice shot! My shooting actually involved very little "luck." The buck was just out of bed and trying to run up a very steep canyon wall. Not able to move real fast. I generally do not take running shots but was quite confident I could put the bullet where I wanted it. Turns out I was better shot than I give myself credit. I was leading him just a bit and that's where bullet impacted. Good follow through. I credit that to a lot of time on the skeet and clays range.

I'm guessing this buck was 250 lbs plus. Very similar in size to my brother's buck last year and he weighed in at CWD check station as 275 lbs. No meat lost on this one. One of the cleanest kills I've made.
          No problem, just having a little fun.
          I’m not in the habit of taking running shots either, but I pulled the gun up just because. I wasn’t expecting to get on the deer but the angle of him running right to left and the speed just brought him right into the scope set at 4x. The sight picture was perfect and I just instinctively pulled the trigger on the swing. Saw him hitch mid stride so I knew I connected, he piled up just out of sight.

Comment

Nice buck!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to High rise mounts on 30/30 Marlin
              by CD2
              Honestly, I would not feel handicapped running a smooth bore shotgun for deer out to 125 yards or so. If I had to, it'd be the green/black camo old M500...
              Today, 12:35 PM
            • High rise mounts on 30/30 Marlin
              by Freewolf1
              I've seen other threads and comments about putting see through or high rise mounts on a marlin 336 30/30. I understand that these mounts make for a change...
              11-27-2019, 07:18 PM
            • Reply to High rise mounts on 30/30 Marlin
              by CD2
              I had an 835. Older one. It worked fine.
              But it was a Mossberg.
              I hate a thick wrist on a shotgun.
              Read that the new bismuth #2 in...
              Today, 12:31 PM
            • Reply to Outdoor Life !, bu
              by PigHunter
              Thanks for the heads up about RFC. I just require minute-of-squirrel accuracy and probably wouldn't fit in on that forum.
              Today, 12:01 PM
            • Outdoor Life !, bu
              by bowhunter75richard
              It has been over a month since anything new has been posted on OL ! Is that site dead in the water, or is there a reason to keep it alive ? Is there...
              Yesterday, 06:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X