Big Box Canyon Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Box Canyon Buck

Gee, I'm sure you guys know how much it bothers me to steal Bubba's thunder. Pffft.

Horrible conditions today: snow going out, clay roads turning to soup, wind blowing 35 mph. Ugh! But I braved it all to find my deer after two days of hiking in rough country and seeing almost nothing. Shot this big boy at about 70 yards on the fly. First shot hit the hill in front of me. Wind was blowing too hard to be steady for offhand shot so I sat down. But that put me too low. Thought I could just make the bullet clear the hill so I took the shot. Two bucks almost identical were standing looking at me. This one was slightly larger. Bullet didn't clear the hill and sprayed me with dirt. They took off running for the top of the box canyon and I got him on the run with second shot. He was hit exactly where I put the cross-hairs. A bit forward but I figured he would run into the bullet. You can see entrance wound in lower neck just beside my rifle. That deer dropped like he was hit with a sledge hammer and rolled to the bottom of the canyon, dead on arrival. Disappointed he's only a 4x4. Guess I wouldn't have shot him if I'd known he was so puny. Seriously, it is hands down the largest bodied deer I've yet taken. A real whopper. VERY fat. Not skinned yet but I don't think any meat was lost. Exit wound was just ahead of left front shoulder. I was very pleased with that shot. Barnes TSX 165 gr 30-06.

I dragged that big buck up out of the canyon and over a small mountain to the road. Then we loaded him onto my buddy's side-by-side for a photo op. Yep, you guys know I hate technocrap so much I'd never use one to remove an animal. That fancy machine sure made a hard job easy. Actually, a piece of cake. Rod complained: "I drove all the way out here with this thing for such an easy job? Next time make it more challenging." Deer fell only about a mile from the Jimmy but the cattle had tromped the bottom of that box canyon to the point of being pretty much impassible for foot travel. It would have killed me to pull that buck down through there. A real mess. Pulling him up the side of the box canyon would have been a better option ... but only slightly. The buggy went around a reservoir, down the neighbor's fence line, up over a low saddle, then down a long coulee to the side draw leading to box canyon. Crawled up through those cattle tromped craters like a dream. It was a longer route but much safer than going up over the canyon wall or down through the bottom.

Tomorrow we get my brother his deer.
    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 11-18-2019, 12:03 AM.

Congrats, that old .30-06 just keeps on performing. What scope did you end up installing?

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      Congrats, that old .30-06 just keeps on performing. What scope did you end up installing?
      The busted 3x9 Nikon I bought here last year came back from the factory on warranty in time to be sighted in for this trip. Too warm here so we skinned the big buck tonight to be sure he would cool down enough. The Barnes bullet didn't mess things up too badly. A bit more bloodshot on impact than I would have thought ... but hit him low in the neck and apparently got carotid artery which might account for it. However there was only a teeny spot of bright blood at entrance wound. Strange. Exit was just ahead of front left shoulder. No broken bones. Not a huge exit hole and relatively marginal bloodshot. Amazing he would drop like that with no broken neck or shoulder.

Comment

Nice deer.. At your age you should refrain from pulling deer uphill. Downhill only, with snow if possible.

Comment

Hey, it’s my thunder you’re stealing, and rightfully so with that bruiser! Great deer sir.

I walked down to the house for the loader to bring out my buck, trying to save ruining my back for work.

Comment

Congratulations Honk nice big bodied Buck! You’ve been on a roll here past couple years!

Comment

OHH, how’s the rut going out there? It doesn’t seem possible we’ve been back two weeks already, it hadn’t started then. Seems to be a little late here at home, just curious if the bucks are moving more there now too.

BTW, That buck mounted would be a good advertising piece for your daughter’s business.
              Last edited by fitch270; 11-17-2019, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                OHH, how’s the rut going out there? It doesn’t seem possible we’ve been back two weeks already, it hadn’t started then. Seems to be a little late here at home, just curious if the bucks are moving more there now too.

BTW, That buck mounted would be a good advertising piece for your daughter’s business.
                The rut is sorta started. We see some bunches of deer and a few with bucks. But a lot of does and fawns running around with no bucks. Watched a big whitetail on Thursday that must have been in the rut. He was walking across a wheat field stiff legged with nose to ground and his tail up and standing stiff. Too far away to get a good look at his rack. These two big bucks should not have been together and alone if the rut was in full swing.

I shot this one in the neck and exited in the cape area of shoulder on the other side. Not worth it to try repairing. She has the kudu coming from Africa to work with yet. That will be a showpiece hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  Nice deer.. At your age you should refrain from pulling deer uphill. Downhill only, with snow if possible.
                  That deer would not go uphill with two old farts working on him. I would have tried the "gutless" method of field dressing if we hadn't had access to Rod's buggy. Everyone is doing the gutless method here now because brain and spinal cord have to be left in field or the dump due to CWD prevention regs. Would not have been pleasant task in those muddy conditions. We skinned him on the street in town laying on a tarp under street light with headlights. Got a lot of hair on it but otherwise came out very clean. He goes to the butcher today. The guy wouldn't take him last night.

Comment

"... Gee, I'm sure you guys know how much it bothers me to steal Bubba's thunder. Pffft. ..."

"STEAL" my thunder? LMBO!
                    You start posting whitetail, turkey and feral pig stories and we can share "thunder"!

BTW! Helluva nice buck!
                    Yeah, I've snatched 'em up and walked off with 'em too.
                    But not since 1991!

Congrats Honk!
                    Keep on truckin'! ...with thought and caution!

Comment

Nice buck Honker ! It appears there was a great change in weather from 11-11 to 11-16, a foot of snow gone in that period of time, also single digit temps. Must have been much nicer hunting !

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

That deer would not go uphill with two old farts working on him. I would have tried the "gutless" method of field dressing if we hadn't had access to Rod's buggy. Everyone is doing the gutless method here now because brain and spinal cord have to be left in field or the dump due to CWD prevention regs. Would not have been pleasant task in those muddy conditions. We skinned him on the street in town laying on a tarp under street light with headlights. Got a lot of hair on it but otherwise came out very clean. He goes to the butcher today. The guy wouldn't take him last night.
                        A taxidermist friend would not take an animal the day it was killed. He wanted it to cool down so the ticks and fleas jumped off before he brought it in.

Comment

A taxidermist friend would not take an animal the day it was killed. He wanted it to cool down so the ticks and fleas jumped off before he brought it in.
                          My processor has an external cooler for leaving the deer, if arriving after he's closed for the day.

Comment

When blood flow stops and body temp begins to drop, external parasites (fleas, ticks and lice) vacate the premises.
                            They feed on blood. Due to the colder temps, they don't have much time to find a new host to set up house.

Comment

Nice buck Honker, neck puffed up like a football player. I've a question about the "only a 4x4". I don't know much about antlers but doesn't a 4x indicate a full grown, and can sometimes be fairly old? I shot a large bodied 4x a few years ago that looked pretty old, lotsa gray in the face and worn teeth, couple of broken tines but he was the one with the doe group he he. Tag soup for me in the deer department this year.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Season ends
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run,...
                                Today, 10:39 PM
                              • Season ends
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After...
                                Today, 12:41 AM
                              • Reply to Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                                by Sarge01
                                If Virginia had followed through with their anti gun legislation you would have seen the start of the 2nd civil war in the US.
                                Today, 10:26 PM
                              • Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Virginia legislature has dropped it’s AR-15 confiscation ruling. They have now stated those who presently own these weapons can continue to do so,...
                                Today, 05:33 PM
                              • Reply to Pet Peeves
                                by fitch270
                                My boy does the "I mean" thing quite often, usually when he's trying to think of how to explain something. I have no idea where he got it from,...
                                Today, 10:21 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X