No announcement yet.

Son of a Fitch, y’all ready for this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitch, so happy and pleased for you a grand hunting adventure and even better because it was with family. All the best

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
      Fitch, so happy and pleased for you a grand hunting adventure and even better because it was with family. All the best
      Thank you sir. You may have noticed the LL Bean Wardens Day Pack on the boy. I got some good recommendations about those

Comment

Ha! Fitch I did notice! I took one on my just finished 6 week African trip. It is my second one. The first was begged away by my PH a couple years ago. Kindest Regards

Comment

Too late it starts. Too soon it ends!

Trip of a lifetime.
          Shared with a son and the F&S world.
          Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Thank you sir. You may have noticed the LL Bean Wardens Day Pack on the boy. I got some good recommendations about those
            I note that the guy in the lead in that photo is not wearing orange. I presume he is the guide and not carrying a gun so he gets a pass on that regulation? In Ontario even bird hunters in the bush during big game rifle season are required to wear orange. Bow hunters and bear hunters over bait can hide the orange once they are in a tree or blind. In Montana hunters are required to wear at least 400 square inches of orange. I have always wondered if covering it up with a camo daypack constitutes a violation. I guess it would be about the same as putting a coat over a hunter orange vest. Have yet to see a hunter orange daypack so that would be my defence if some jerk game warden wanted to make a stink. And a daypack is essential to survival. I have always managed to find decent quality red daypacks to match my red outerwear. Back in the day when hunting remote mountains of Montana or Ontario bush, I only wore orange near the roads. The flaming crap got shoved into the daypack once I was on the track. Not worried because no one else hunted where I hunted. No one else was that tough/foolish. Nowadays when I'm in Montana I always wear orange even when deer hunting. I'm never out of sight of a road in this open country and frequently other hunters are around. My upland vest just meets the 400 sq in requirement. After drunken VP Cheney almost blew away his hunting partner the feds started requiring upland hunters wear orange on the refuge (Montana law does not require orange for upland hunters). But I think it's a token regulation. Anything will meet the requirement, even just a cap. I think the reason Montana does not require orange for uplands is there are so many places in the state (like the refuge here) where a person can be hunting both uplands and waterfowl at the same time. Also hunting ruff grouse in thick cover with several guys is not as popular here as it is back east.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

I note that the guy in the lead in that photo is not wearing orange. I presume he is the guide and not carrying a gun so he gets a pass on that regulation? In Ontario even bird hunters in the bush during big game rifle season are required to wear orange. Bow hunters and bear hunters over bait can hide the orange once they are in a tree or blind. In Montana hunters are required to wear at least 400 square inches of orange. I have always wondered if covering it up with a camo daypack constitutes a violation. I guess it would be about the same as putting a coat over a hunter orange vest. Have yet to see a hunter orange daypack so that would be my defence if some jerk game warden wanted to make a stink. And a daypack is essential to survival. I have always managed to find decent quality red daypacks to match my red outerwear. Back in the day when hunting remote mountains of Montana or Ontario bush, I only wore orange near the roads. The flaming crap got shoved into the daypack once I was on the track. Not worried because no one else hunted where I hunted. No one else was that tough/foolish. Nowadays when I'm in Montana I always wear orange even when deer hunting. I'm never out of sight of a road in this open country and frequently other hunters are around. My upland vest just meets the 400 sq in requirement. After drunken VP Cheney almost blew away his hunting partner the feds started requiring upland hunters wear orange on the refuge (Montana law does not require orange for upland hunters). But I think it's a token regulation. Anything will meet the requirement, even just a cap. I think the reason Montana does not require orange for uplands is there are so many places in the state (like the refuge here) where a person can be hunting both uplands and waterfowl at the same time. Also hunting ruff grouse in thick cover with several guys is not as popular here as it is back east.
              He is the guide and isn’t required to wear orange, but he did in fact always wear a blaze orange vest similar to ours. His outfitter pack is covering the back portion. He carried out 130 lbs of meat in that pack the next day. If you look very close you can just see a sliver of orange on his right shoulder.

I wondered about the token regulation myself, the blaze can be camo and apparently having a pack on isn’t an issue either.

Comment

I always wear blaze camo and take it off when in my ground blind. I do however put my blaze hat above my position or on top of my pop up ground blind. I have been shot at and it is not fun.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  I always wear blaze camo and take it off when in my ground blind. I do however put my blaze hat above my position or on top of my pop up ground blind. I have been shot at and it is not fun.
                  Jim, that's a great point. I take an extra blaze orange vest to tie across the top of my pop-up when hunting public land.

Comment

Gotta love Texas!
                    "Hunter orange is RECOMMENDED for hunter safety, but is not required when hunting on private property." pg. 32

I despise blaze orange.
                    Oklahoma requires blaze orange, public or private land.
                    Blaze orange is not required for "Fall Gun" or "Spring" turkey seasons. (DUH!)

I keep my stupid orange cap on, but hang my little cheesy vest on the front of my blind when I'm inside.
                    I also keep a cheapy vest and cap in my hunting pack.
                    I ALSO keep a roll of blaze orange surveyor's tape in my pack to flag a spot, blood trail or downed animal. ....or ME if necessary! LOL!

Comment

FB, Did you know Oklahoma has the most incarcerated prisoners in the U.S. ?

Comment

FB, Did you know Oklahoma has the most incarcerated prisoners in the U.S. ?
                        Well, jimbo, I haven't counted them since last Thursday, but it stands to reason.
                        Because of the easy availability of ammonium nitrate (Nh3) liquid, meth cooks are uncommonly common.
                        Meth production dropped off for a long while. There was still no shortage of the nasty stuff.
                        ...the boats began blowing up and burning on the local lake!

Can I ask why this even came up here?
                        Oklahoma has the highest "incarceration rate". Not the highest number of prisoners.
                        Last edited by FirstBubba; 11-04-2019, 07:08 PM.

Comment

The news said number of prisoners that is why they are getting ready to release hundreds.

Comment

FB, Just to remind you what it's like when you highjack a post.

Comment

FB, Just to remind you what it's like when you highjack a post.
                              Sooooo......you hijacked fitch270's post?
                              Brilliant, jimbo!

Comment

Pretty darn nice deer, congrats to the Fitch family ! 👍
                                We should assume the young man gets his good looks from his mothers side ?
                                Good story as well, thanks for sharing !

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad