No announcement yet.

Son of a Fitch, y’all ready for this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see two brow tines; the one on the right has a little sticker too, but probably not an inch long.

details later gentlemen
    Can I get the details too??

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

I thought that may have been a sixth point on the right antler (buck's left) but upon magnification it looks like it's just a spot in the trees behind. And I don't see a brow tine on the left one (which is not unusual for even a whopper muley) but difficult to tell for sure from the photo. Still I'm guessing it is 5x5. Very nice deer for sure! Jumped one about like that yesterday afternoon pheasant hunting. Would have been an easy shot but no brother here yet so I can't hunt deer.
      We’re going to take a few more pics with the cape for the guide so I’ll post some close ups later.

He’s a true 5x5 plus brow tines and some lower stickers. Guide’s guessing
      he’ll score 170-175 but trying to be conservative. Said he’s only take one with a bigger rack off this spot but it’s the largest bodied one.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
        I see two brow tines; the one on the right has a little sticker too, but probably not an inch long.

Can I get the details too??
        Say please😎

Comment

If he has 1" brow tines + five points on each side then it is a "six point" Idaho count. I couldn't make out the additional points off main beam in this photo. Must be one "sticker" off the second to last branch on left side and another off the first branch on the right side (which I think is barely visible). Probably will have to be scored typical and those will deduct each other if off separate branches. Still I'm guessing the guide is correct and it will score about 170 due to immensity. Very pretty colour too. The mountain muleys typically have darker antlers than their plains cousins. And usually thicker racks too.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	C241BCEB-8215-4573-A660-EE8BA3EC530C.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	717293Click image for larger version

Name:	DCB9A7A1-775B-4CE0-907B-552899ABCF98.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	717292
            Views to the sides of our perch. Guess I should have taken one straight down.

Comment

Very cool. Congrats!

Comment

Wonderful!

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	88A5EAAD-C4A9-4953-A604-9FA0A143160E.jpeg Views:	24 Size:	102.6 KB ID:	717252 Different angle
                  This shot is worthy of an 11×14, cropped and framed!

Is the B&C requirement the same for mulies and white tails? 170" for inclusion?

That's a hatrack anybody would be proud of. Body wise, that dude is a real "pig"!

I'm excited that everything worked out as well as it did!
                  After he writes this one up, he's going to need a new journal! LOL!

Last edited by FirstBubba; 10-31-2019, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Name:	973EF748-3117-4660-81CA-6F2BE7C8327C.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	717332Click image for larger version

Name:	EF5F1118-507C-4AD5-97E4-0A79670B4E73.png
Views:	94
Size:	819.0 KB
ID:	717331 Stickers are pretty even on the front of the first forks, brows and junk match up as well. Probably be scored as non typical, Mule deer are 190 to make the book. Locals seem genuinely impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Name:	973EF748-3117-4660-81CA-6F2BE7C8327C.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	717332Click image for larger version

Name:	EF5F1118-507C-4AD5-97E4-0A79670B4E73.png
Views:	94
Size:	819.0 KB
ID:	717331 Stickers are pretty even on the front of the first forks, brows and junk match up as well. Probably be scored as non typical, Mule deer are 190 to make the book. Locals seem genuinely impressed.
                      That's some gnarly bases!
                      Most definitely an impressive rack.

Now. Can you settle for anything less when it's your turn?

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

That's some gnarly bases!
                        Most definitely an impressive rack.

Now. Can you settle for anything less when it's your turn?
                        Absolutely. I’ve never killed a mule deer so my first would be my best ever

Looking for elk tomorrow but deer are still a possibility.

Comment

I was thinking of this extra points buck today. While pheasant hunting a cottonwood grove creek bottom a nice muley buck suddenly came storming over the bank above me on the same cattle trail. Not terribly surprised since a few minute earlier I had kicked up a doe and two fawns that lit out like they'd been fired on. Never stopped, never hopped, just ran like hell. Strange. So this nice buck pops over the top also on a tear. Puppy had nothing to do with it as she was hunting next to the creek below me and never chases deer anyway. Very nice spread and a high rack. Looked typical enough and definitely a better than average muley. I'm only sizing up the rack for the fun of it and not really looking at the animal as I can't shoot deer till my brother comes over. But it seems this one may have had a death wish! He came piling down that path hell bent for China. I'm thinking he'll turn at some point. Nope! My gawd he's gonna run me over! Finally I waved my gun and whooped. Boy, did that guy put on the brakes. Almost piled up running over himself. Then he leapt to my right in one great bound ... with his long white flag waving at me. Yep, it was a whitetail! 6x6!! What a beaut! The first tines off the main beams on both sides were split half way up just like a muley rack. He had exceptional brow tines too. The width of that rack was equally astonishing, particularly for a whitetail. Way out past his ears. VERY long main beams. I paced it off and that guy turned away at seven yards. I wonder what was on his mind ... and on his butt. Far as I could tell no one else was hunting those bottoms today (and I could see for several miles in every direction). My scent should have been blowing into him too. Hard to believe he would run towards it. Or did he just have poor eyesight? Maybe the latter since he was obviously an old buck. Very strange. But a very cool experience.
                          Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 11-01-2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Congrats on that monster buck! Fitting for Halloween week! Looks cold with that snow on the ground.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	FE25EEB8-EFB3-417E-9E3A-04F92B853892.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	151.1 KB ID:	717471Click image for larger version  Name:	7364F752-8B1B-4548-B9CF-6C1523307B98.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	93.6 KB ID:	717470 Couple more pics. Killing time in Spokane airport at the moment.

Comment

Name:	2913F969-D5EF-44A0-8CFD-DB6769B4D77A.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	717475Click image for larger version

Name:	CC673E72-0403-4BD7-8A07-05E1CD7CE3CA.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	717474

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to End of an era
                                  by Milldawg
                                  Dew man guy who owns the land a farm of his wants the spot so I’m out. All of this started since there is monster running around out there....
                                  Today, 11:10 PM
                                • End of an era
                                  by Milldawg
                                  Well lost my hunting spot of 7 years last Saturday. So now I’m joining the lease crowd. Any advice this will be my first year leasing ground next year....
                                  Today, 03:35 PM
                                • Reply to Season ends
                                  by WA Mtnhunter
                                  I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run,...
                                  Today, 10:39 PM
                                • Season ends
                                  by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                  On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After...
                                  Today, 12:41 AM
                                • Reply to Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                                  by Sarge01
                                  If Virginia had followed through with their anti gun legislation you would have seen the start of the 2nd civil war in the US.
                                  Today, 10:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X