Son of a Fitch, y’all ready for this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son of a Fitch, y’all ready for this?

Long walk in the dark coming off the mountain, details later gentlemen. Meantime here’s the boy in all his glory. Click image for larger version

Name:	F0D0BF47-714B-4F4C-9ABD-676832D0C5A7.jpeg
Views:	361
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	717239

That is just incredible, what a fantastic trophy ! You son does nothing but impress year after year! Heart felt congratulations to him and you proud dad!

Comment

Absolutely awesome, fitch270!

Comment

My lord what a buck! Gonna be hard to top. Brow tines , little extra coming off the side, man trip already a big success right out of the box! Couldn't be prouder if you fellas weren't kin. Can't wait for details. Gonna save pic to my iPad but promise to garble his face for safety. Made my week right there for certain.

Comment

Thanks guys.

We’re taking the day off, been going at it pretty hard the last couple days and the guide is headed back in to pack out the rest of the deer. We’d glassed a grizzly about a half mile or so from where he ended up taking the shot and we’d just slow the guy down so best if we stay behind. We’ll deal with the meat and cape/skull cap later on.

In just three days there’s been so much happening I don’t even know where to start, so for now I’ll just tell you how the afternoon went.

We arrived at the trail head about 1:00 and started hiking in. Some where around 3:30 we were better than 3/4 of the way to where the guide wanted to get when he spotted a couple deer on the opposite side of the drainage. Turned out to be 11 muley does in all. Next thing I hear is “Oh #%*!”. There’s a grizzly digging not far from the does. We check him out for a bit then decide to keep going. We only get about 75 feet up the trail and run into an older Amish guy with two kids. They’ve been watching the other side but hadn’t spotted the bear. After getting them on it we part company and push on. At this point the guide decides to not sit above them where he intended to, but instead we bush wack around the face of the ridge we’re on to the opposite side to check what’s over there. We set up looking down on a small flat and after getting situated our guide heads up a bit higher to glass some more area, then comes back around to check the other side, leaving us to watch the knob. Ten minutes later I catch the deer in the open right where we want him, except it’s a 45* angle down and we’re getting funky readings on the guides rangefinder. I’d left mine at the lodge. After about 15 minutes he comes back around and we signal to him that we’re on a good buck. He slips in and I point the deer out, now in the brush making rubs. Next thing we know he’s gone. I think I can see his back in the brush, bedded down. The guide agrees it might be him so we wait, making a plan for today if he doesn’t get up. The kid asks for the sandwich he’d gotten out right before the buck showed, takes about 3 bites and the guide says “He’s up!” I get the binos on him and he’s headed back up into the open spot. Guide says “250, hold center!” Buck stops in the clear and the rifle cracks. Instantly you can see he’s hit hard, his shoulder lifts slightly and his head drops. Still on his feet the guide says to hit him again, but the kid can only see his backside. We both tell him to shoot so he does, but we find out later this shot only hits his back leg at the knee.

Comment

Cont’

The buck now takes a couple steps forward, turns 180* and takes a couple back to where he had been. The gun cracks again, buck’s still on his feet and it roars for the forth time putting him down. One shot hit high across the back, the last taking him in the neck. Middle two not the best but rushed under duress. We gather our composure then get our gear together and head down to him, taking about 10-15 minutes. When we get two him unbelievably he’s not actually finished, it takes two more to finally end it.

The first shot was perfect, he wouldn’t have gone anywhere but this thing was a monster, over 300 lbs. and the guide wasn’t taking any chances, especially considering we had a grizzly in the area.

Took care of business and bushwhacked our way straight down to the trail, thankfully only took about 10 minutes and wasn’t as bad as expected. With a bit of an adrenaline high we made out to the truck in about an hour. Got back to the lodge around 10pm much to the relief and excitement of my Father in Law. Should have been exhausted but I didn’t fall asleep until after 1:00am.

Kid crashed hard.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
              My lord what a buck! Gonna be hard to top. Brow tines , little extra coming off the side, man trip already a big success right out of the box! Couldn't be prouder if you fellas weren't kin. Can't wait for details. Gonna save pic to my iPad but promise to garble his face for safety. Made my week right there for certain.
              Thank you sir.

We’ve discussed the pictures of him before but this one was too special not to share. I’m thankful for all of you who enjoy my rambling about him and wanted you get as much out of it as possible.

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Great buck; great story. Congrats to both of you Fitch.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	88A5EAAD-C4A9-4953-A604-9FA0A143160E.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	717252 Different angle

Comment

What a great hunt for (kids name) the memory he will have forever with his Dad and Grandpa.
                      Congratulations !

Comment

That deer is a big'gun! Congrats to SOAF and his papa.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                          I thought that may have been a sixth point on the right antler (buck's left) but upon magnification it looks like it's just a spot in the trees behind. And I don't see a brow tine on the left one (which is not unusual for even a whopper muley) but difficult to tell for sure from the photo. Still I'm guessing it is 5x5. Very nice deer for sure! Jumped one about like that yesterday afternoon pheasant hunting. Would have been an easy shot but no brother here yet so I can't hunt deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

I thought that may have been a sixth point on the right antler (buck's left) but upon magnification it looks like it's just a spot in the trees behind. And I don't see a brow tine on the left one (which is not unusual for even a whopper muley) but difficult to tell for sure from the photo. Still I'm guessing it is 5x5. Very nice deer for sure! Jumped one about like that yesterday afternoon pheasant hunting. Would have been an easy shot but no brother here yet so I can't hunt deer.
                            You could be right about the tines. I can't get it to blow up any without distortion. Starts messing up right away, pics don't usuallly do that on here.

Comment

Wow! What a grand trophy. You have a hunting partner for life that is for sure. Congratulations to all of you

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad