No announcement yet.

smaller rifles are better under 500 yards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I used my $450 Savage 6.5 creedmoor, with a $125 Nikon prostaff 3-9x50, one shot with 140 grain Sierra gameking, so I like it as much as my old swedish that I got so many animals with.

Comment

Short action cartridges based off any of these parent cases: 250 Savage, 6.5 Creed, or 308 will do the job at 500 yards on deer if the shooter knows what he/she is doing. The limitation is not the cartridge, as much as it is the user. Of course, the weapon has to have certain accuracy levels for 500 yards, but most of your modern rifles (not all) are capable. The other unknown is conditions. Terrible wind conditions can shut anything down. Hunting or shooting at distance is a systems approach, of which the user is a very important part.

Comment

Just goofing
        https://youtu.be/V6RkHKbPVZc
        https://youtu.be/NaSxBs6rwtw
        This 284 Winchester center-grip XP-100 has the rifle performance of a 7-08.
        Just playing around with a bi-pod and small field bag.
        You will see wind get me at 600 yards (10" steel).
        That is why you practice in wind!

Comment

Oh, I forgot to mention, 270 yards

Comment

I got a 6x5 bull elk with my swedish at 290 yards, with a 140 grain soft point.

Comment

Nice 4x. I didn't put in for deer during 4th like I usually do. From what I've seen of things around Meeker everything looks long distance. Some of the nicest folks in CO.

Comment

A 30.06 is my largest caliber ( high fps rifle anyway), so I don't miss anything I have never shot, as in large cartridge rifles.
                I have been toying with the idea of getting a 300 wsm.

Comment

Thanks Rock Rat, and most people are nice here, I agree

Comment

I traded the hide in for a tanned one the same size, and did a euro mount skull Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191030_120822.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	4.25 MB
ID:	718265

Comment

Originally posted by RioBlanco View Post
                      A 30.06 is my largest caliber ( high fps rifle anyway), so I don't miss anything I have never shot, as in large cartridge rifles.
                      the 300 Wizzum is a great cartridge

Comment

Was thinking of a long range bolt rig..........and what did I do today?
                        Snag an old Rem 14 in .35 rem.
                        Not gonna pay premium for a peep.
                        Might have an adapter made for some other Williams.

I'll run my 760 w Leupold 4X as my primary buck slayer next yr.
                        The iron sighted 14 for antlerless.

Comment

Originally posted by RioBlanco View Post
                          I have had a 300WSM since they ere introduced on the market. I have tried just about every caliber there is and the 300WSM outshines them all. I shoot 165 grain Nosler Accubond bullets and RL-19 powder. The only other rifle I have for deer hunting is a .308 one of the most underated rounds on the market. My 300WSM is a Sako A7 one of the finest rifles that I have owned in my lifetime and that has probably been 150 rifles.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad