smaller rifles are better under 500 yards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smaller rifles are better under 500 yards

I read where many people have a thing against rifles like the .243, 6.5 creedmoor,
    6 mm Creedmoor . Sure they don't have the energy at 500 yrds like a .300 win magnum,
    But for deer hunting under that distance, those smaller cartridges are much better.
    They bring down the animal with on well placed shot, in the kill zone. Even lung shots. And what makes them better, you can't put your fist thought the shot hole.
    My wife grandmother got 14 cows, and 8 bull elk, and uncounted amount of mule deer, all with a lever action .243. l started hunting with a borrowed .243. since 1982 I have only shot one deer I coudnt find.

Also I am really liking my dpms .308,
    The same small cartridge catagorie, with a .30 Cal punch, and no recoil semi auto.
    And it is accurate as all heck.

Comment

The rush for power and long range is all a marketing ploy. The firearm industry has to keep making 'new' or reintroduced things to keep the industry healthy. Hard to do when their products last well over 100 years.

Comment

IF all the long arms disappeared tomorrow and only something like the Springfield 03-A3 remained it would serve the whole Country very well. JMO

Comment

As to the animosity toward the 6.5 Creedmoor I can only relate to personal experience. Too many shooters (old & new) bought high dollar rifles and optics in this caliber and instantly started denigrating those who didn't follow suit. Didn't kill a damn animal, didn't fire in competition, didn't do anything but buy their self righteousness. Stand their with their Browning hells canyon topped with a nightforce with less than 2 boxes through it and commence to point and snicker , roll their eyes, shake their head, at my 7mm-08 Rem 700 that has over 60 head of big game from 6 states and try to "educate" me. I'll pass, thank you. I no longer own an AR because I found it heavy and I didn't really have a use but they have undeniable advantages I am quick to admit. Fast and easy serviceability comes right to mind. My 2 cents.

Comment

I grew up varminting.
            500 yards is a good rip.
            My deer hunting so far has all been under 200 yards.
            Most of it under half that.
            Not against long D shooting, just think most folks stretch things w the keyboard.
            Been a member of a few clubs and most folks aint all that from the bench, let alone offhand LOL
            Can't remember the last time I saw somebody shooting their deer rig from seated or kneeling at the club.
            I'm the only one that does.

Comment

I'm a 6.5 CM shooter and didn't spend a fortune. Ruger American Predator with Vortex scope, Hornady ammo. Including ammo, I have less than $800 invested. It's accurate and has a great trigger. What's there not to like? Here's a small sow I dropped with it - 30 yard shot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sow and 6.5 Creedmoor.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	717012

For where I hunt, the 6.5 CM is interchangeable with the .308 in performance, but with slightly less recoil.

As far as AR's, I've hunted two seasons with one in .300 Blackout. It's based on the AR-15 platform and is definitely not heavy to carry. Very quick to get on target in thick woods and flings a .30 caliber bullet at 2400 fps. Again, what's there not to like about that for short range hunting?

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                As to the animosity toward the 6.5 Creedmoor I can only relate to personal experience. Too many shooters (old & new) bought high dollar rifles and optics in this caliber and instantly started denigrating those who didn't follow suit. Didn't kill a damn animal, didn't fire in competition, didn't do anything but buy their self righteousness. Stand their with their Browning hells canyon topped with a nightforce with less than 2 boxes through it and commence to point and snicker , roll their eyes, shake their head, at my 7mm-08 Rem 700 that has over 60 head of big game from 6 states and try to "educate" me. I'll pass, thank you. I no longer own an AR because I found it heavy and I didn't really have a use but they have undeniable advantages I am quick to admit. Fast and easy serviceability comes right to mind. My 2 cents.
                Local want-ad has 2 6.5CM for sale, both boasting low round count. Not my cup of meat, but if that's what you want,OK by me.

Now, from a F&S print article - "With the purchase of a 6.5 Creedmore I can now drink water and piss scotch, summon elk and fish with a cat call, and fly for short distances. "

edit - Want-ad list now includes 3 6.5's. One NIB, one at 20 rounds, another at <100. What's going on?
                Last edited by franchi20; 10-28-2019, 05:53 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post

Local want-ad has 2 6.5CM for sale, both boasting low round count. Not my cup of meat, but if that's what you want,OK by me.

Now, from a F&S print article - "With the purchase of a 6.5 Creedmore I can now drink water and piss scotch, summon elk and fish with a cat call, and fly for short distances. "
                  Sounds like something I would have written I didn't know that if you had a 6.5 Creedmore that you could do all those things

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                    I'm a 6.5 CM shooter and didn't spend a fortune. Ruger American Predator with Vortex scope, Hornady ammo. Including ammo, I have less than $800 invested. It's accurate and has a great trigger. What's there not to like? Here's a small sow I dropped with it - 30 yard shot.

Name:	Sow and 6.5 Creedmoor.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	717012

For where I hunt, the 6.5 CM is interchangeable with the .308 in performance, but with slightly less recoil.

As far as AR's, I've hunted two seasons with one in .300 Blackout. It's based on the AR-15 platform and is definitely not heavy to carry. Very quick to get on target in thick woods and flings a .30 caliber bullet at 2400 fps. Again, what's there not to like about that for short range hunting?
                    Same rifle I use but in .308. 18 inch barrel. Cheap $150 Nikon scope. Works like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                      I grew up varminting.
                      500 yards is a good rip.
                      My deer hunting so far has all been under 200 yards.
                      Most of it under half that.
                      Not against long D shooting, just think most folks stretch things w the keyboard.
                      Been a member of a few clubs and most folks aint all that from the bench, let alone offhand LOL
                      Can't remember the last time I saw somebody shooting their deer rig from seated or kneeling at the club.
                      I'm the only one that does.
                      I shoot all my deer rigs, including my .300 and .340 Weatherby, from standing, off hand unless I am adjusting scope.

Comment

Yup, everybody shoots from the bench, and or offhand.

Sitting or kneeling?

Just me. I shoot ALL positions. No big deal.

Odd that I never see others do it.
                        Most of my shots on deer offhand.
                        I do well.

But I still shoot the other stuff too.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                          Yup, everybody shoots from the bench, and or offhand.

Sitting or kneeling?

Just me. I shoot ALL positions. No big deal.

Odd that I never see others do it.
                          Most of my shots on deer offhand.
                          I do well.

But I still shoot the other stuff too.
                          I'm not as flexible as I was 30 years ago and was very surprised recently when taking a prone shooting position at the range. Where did that tummy come from? It was very uncomfortable. I can say the same about shooting positions sitting with my butt on the ground. When younger, I would sometimes hunt from sitting directly on the ground and I would brace accordingly.

More than half my shots are from the standing offhand position. If enough time is available, I'll will use the rifle's sling for a little more stability. Using a tree to brace against is even better, but of course I'll put some kind of padding between the rifle and any hard surface before making the shot.

Full length shooting sticks would be too cumbersome to carry and I've never practiced with them. I've used cross-sticks while sitting on a folding field stool and found them to be a very stable platform. That's the method used for my longest career shot of 615 paces over a wheat field in Kentucky (way back in 1995). On the rare occasion, PigHuntress will join me for a hunt and I'll bring along those same sticks. We use ground blinds with folding stools so the sticks will help her stabilize a shot. She simply doesn't practice shooting enough for accurate unsupported shots.

Comment

I didn't say the varied shooting positions were easy or comfy, just said I practiced them when nobody else around does LOL

For me, offhand is no big deal out to 150 or so.

Had a buck come across field, went prone, and would have smoked him at 250 had he crossed into our side. With a 4x. Alas, the big 8 turned to follow the doe. Truck on road made em nervous.

Did shoot a doe w MZ years ago prone, laying in a melted snow puddle.
                            Had to crawl up for the shot.
                            Sucked. Nailed it though. Was under 100.............just no cover.

Comment

Name:	IMG_20191025_103440~2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	762.7 KB
ID:	718255

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad