First year hunting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First year hunting.

This is my first year truly hunting. I took a doe opening day with a crossbow. I hunt right behind my house. My blind is 50 yards from the door. My stand isnt too much further. I only have 6 acres but the only thing around me is pines for lumber so the deer naturally come to my land. Rifle season starts this weekend and I want to place my shot where they wont run at all or very little. My farthest shot will be maybe 70 yards. The doe I got with my crossbow ran just off my property. No big deal but I would like to drop them quick. High shoulder seems to be what i want but I keep finding 2 different aiming points. Some say half way up above leg but others say 2/3 up. Which is the better spot?

When you find that "magic" spot, please let the rest of us know! LOL!
    I always (?) aim for dead center of the shoulder. Most of the time, the bullet is still rising when it arrives on target and generally disrupts the spinal column between the shoulder blades.
    "IF" you hit that spot, they generally drop on the spot.
    I hunt one stand that I absolutely, positively HAVE to anchor them on the spot.
    When I hunt there, my rule is do not take a shot until the animal is broadside. Hopefully, I take out both shoulders if not the spine.

The "high shoulder" shot or neck shot is probably the best to anchor one immediately.

Just remember "Murphy's Law"!
    "If anything can go wrong, it will ...and at the most inopportune time!"

Good luck!
    Good hunting!

Comment

Here's an article and vital-organ "map" from an Outdoor Life article.
      https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/bi...deer-one-shot/

Comment

What are you shooting? I use a 30-06 and only had one deer go out of sight before falling over. That's one in over seventy shot in my lifetime. He was a nice buck that jumped just as I shot. Hit him too far back. I shot several animals in Africa in August with that gun using 165 gr Nosler. This wildebeest fell over on impact (which my PH had only seen once before). In fact all eight animals fell over on impact or within ten yards.

If you're using the right gun and deer is broadside, I would not advise targeting the shoulder but rather right behind it. No sense wasting all that meat. And if the bullet hits shoulder bones, you will get a lot of bloodshot, especially if the range is close and the bullet is hot. Shoot high behind the shoulder and you break its back. Shoot low behind the shoulder and you blow up the heart. Shoot behind the shoulder anywhere between and bullet takes out the lungs. From the sounds of it you are not going to have a long shot, maybe hundred yards at most, so I'd go with a heavier bullet to avoid messing up the deer. A 180 gr 30-06 will give plenty of thump with minimal bloodshot. It will carry well out to 200 yards. I would NOT use a light fast bullet (e.g. 165 grain) because you don't need the long range. In Africa I was hunting plains game out in the open, hence the need for a bullet that would carry further. The 165 Nosler partition bullet recovered from the wildebeest had lost the front half above the partition after impact but it still carried straight through and lodged in the skin of opposite shoulder. He was a large animal so I didn't hesitate to shoot him in the shoulder. Lots of meat to spare. And I didn't want him to turn and run down into the gully. Shot him at about 130 yards. Interesting that the somewhat larger gemsbuck shot at fifteen yards yielded a bullet that looked almost identical with front portion ahead of the partition also missing.

Everyone in the gun/ammo business preaches practice, practice, practice at the range. I think that's a load of crap to sell stuff. I spend enough time at the range to get my gun sighted and that's it. If needed, you can learn the basics range shooting a .22 a lot cheaper and without developing a flinch from recoil. You will be shooting relatively close range at a vital area the size of a five gallon gas can. Not hard to hit it if shooting from a rest (which is highly advisable) ... even if you're excited. And you will get excited when shooting at deer ... but not targets. Another argument against the practice, practice, practice myth.
        Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 10-16-2019, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I will be using a .308 with 150 grain. My shots will be between 20 and 80 yards

Comment

I've shot guns my whole life just never hunted but I bought a house where I can and some big deer have been shot here. Bought the house from a friend. I'm a pretty good shot not perfect but I do good. This used to hang in my living room so I have to have something good to replace it. Friend shot it a few years ago. My stand is 20 feet from where his was.

Comment

Originally posted by kbailey45us View Post
              I will be using a .308 with 150 grain. My shots will be between 20 and 80 yards
              Go heavier. Unless it's a specialty item that bullet is liable to explode too fast. Especially at close range. You want the deer to go down quick ... but not with a hole that looks like it was hit with a hand grenade. I would go with AT LEAST 165 gr. 180 gr would certainly do the job on your place. My best friend here hunted moose with 180 gr .308 and did very well. It won't reach into the next zip code but you don't need it.

Comment

Its Hornady whitetail

Comment

I've shot guns my whole life just never hunted but I bought a house where I can and some big deer have been shot here. Bought the house from a friend. I'm a pretty good shot not perfect but I do good. This used to hang in my living room so I have to have something good to replace it. Friend shot it a few years ago. My stand is 20 feet from where his was.
                  That is a deer of a lifetime. I only had one crack at a B&C buck back in the early eighties. A muley, close range, and I MISSED. Sitting on top of a mountain I could hear him coming up to me. He stopped straight below maybe fifty yards. I tried to hit him high to knock him over on the spot, otherwise I'd never get him out of the canyon. Shot right over his back. And he stood there. Like a fool I didn't shoot again. Figured I'd hit him mortally and he was dead on his feet. His head was behind a tree and he was actually looking for me. When I tipped out for a look he saw me, took one jump and probably went down that hill eighty yards before hitting the ground. A real monster with drop tines on both sides. Sigh! That's my one in a lifetime. But I have plenty of other "one in a lifetimes" ... just not deer.

Comment

There have been a few good ones here. Like I said it's all pines for timber around me so my 6 acres is the first natural food source. My house is 100 yards of a busy highway so the sound helps me. Only reason I got into hunting is because they are there. I have a camera that send pics to my phone and I get a ton. Just gotta get those coons gone. I had 2 big ones and I think one got ran over in the highway. Always setting my camera off.

Comment

This is how close I am to the house. I'm in my ladder stand and you can see my house just over my right shoulder.

Comment

Its Hornady whitetail
                        Not even a bonded bullet. Too light! Significant splatter factor. If you must have that fancy Hornady stuff, go with the 165 gr at least. You'll be shooting too close with something moving too fast. 2700 fps is more than enough velocity.

Comment

This is how close I am to the house. I'm in my ladder stand and you can see my house just over my right shoulder.
                          Those 150 gr are definitely too light and fast for that kind of cover. That's a beanfield load.

Comment

I bought a ruger american .308 right after I bought the house in april to have in case I wanted to hunt. That's just the ammo I bought with it to sight it in. I hate to change ammo cause I will have to shoot here and dont want to scare the deer. I have actually heard good things about that ammo.

Comment

The deer in the photo was taken with a 30-30

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad