Deer hunting with the .357 Magnum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

Speaking of the adaptability of whitetails to humans, my home town of 10,000 (which is surrounded by farming area) had such a problem with deer that the small community needed to bring in paid shooters to curb the numbers last winter. The final number which they ended at was 127 ! Once deer find a safe ‘area’ they no longer have fear of humans and will rarely leave that protection if there is danger outside of it, they are not slow learners !
    Good points Richard. Our neighborhood deer are wary when leaving the protection of the woods but have bedded in my front yard at night. There's at least one coyote in the area and I have a trail cam pic of it crossing my drive. And now there are reports of a cougar sighting a couple of neighborhoods away. On rare occasions I've heard a single rifle shot at first light coming from a few streets over so I'm thinking that's the SOB who took out the 6-point I was after.

Comment

Buck Antelope, doe antelope, buck whitetail, 2 doe whitetail with a 357 Magnum revolver from just under 200 yards to right at 40 yards. Jackal at 100 yards, Springbok at 90 yards, Warthog at around 35, and a black wildebeest at 155 yards. All with 158 Hornady XTP’ or 158 Swifts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
        Buck Antelope, doe antelope, buck whitetail, 2 doe whitetail with a 357 Magnum revolver from just under 200 yards to right at 40 yards. Jackal at 100 yards, Springbok at 90 yards, Warthog at around 35, and a black wildebeest at 155 yards. All with 158 Hornady XTP’ or 158 Swifts.
        Ernie, thanks for the feedback. That's an impressive list and I'm sure there's several interesting stories there! Have you had any failures in the field due to shot placement? What do you do special when hunting with the .357?

My .357 mag handloads also use the 158 grain XTP. But like I've posted, haven't used the cartridge on game yet. I'm a long time fan of Hornady's XTP bullets and have used them in .44 and .45 caliber to take several whitetail and pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Ernie, thanks for the feedback. That's an impressive list and I'm sure there's several interesting stories there! Have you had any failures in the field due to shot placement? What do you do special when hunting with the .357?

My .357 mag handloads also use the 158 grain XTP. But like I've posted, haven't used the cartridge on game yet. I'm a long time fan of Hornady's XTP bullets and have used them in .44 and .45 caliber to take several whitetail and pigs.
          Probably for pigs I would go with the 158 grain XTP FP over the HP. I have double shoulder shot some and have shot others behind the shoulder. I have had no bullet failures. On a doe with a 7-shot 686 I shot further back than I wanted this year at 124 yards. In reality, I shouldn't have shot. I was physically exhausted. It wasn't the accuracy of the revolver or the distance (I had the drops down). Bullet still did it's job, and a finisher was required.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad