HECS Camo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
    BTW, back in 98 or 99 I bought some Scentlok on sale.
    Dunno if it worked or not. I killed some deer with it.
    However............that stuff held up great. The fabric/camo........stuff wore like iron.
    Was comfy too.
    So even if the scent reducing aspect diminished over time, it was still a bargain.
    Just for being good camo clothing.
    I've had a jacket for years, it's still in good shape but I'm going to fleece this year. In just a light rain the ScentLok is a sponge and it isn't very warm on its own. Fits well though.

Comment

As to the HECS stuff, never heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

Have bad mouthed technology on this site until users have told me to shut up about, it being a way of the future and not to be a old duffer ! Hunting should have some resemblance of difficulty about it, if just to make it worth while and to make one feel as though he has done ‘something’ !! But then, I am just a complainer anyway !
        Yep. But maybe there's still hope for you Richard. The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
          Im kind of an arse about scent control. Maybe worth it, maybe not. See and kill more bucks than my buds. Think my detailed and concerned approach part of the reason.
          The areas I hunt are agricultural.

Prior to, during and after the hunting seasons, farmers and cattle raisers frequent their land checking cattle, crop progress, pasture quality, putting out minerals and feeding hay.
          Basically, there is a constant presence of vehicles and humans.
          I've watched deer move off as Farmer Brown drove through checking calves and ease back out within 5 to 10 minutes of him leaving.

The area is so saturated with livestock, vehicle and human sounds and smells, it doesn't seem to cause the deer any real alarm.
          Have a deer catch you moving through an area on foot and "Godzilla" just showed up and everyone must flee!

Comment

With deer living in such close proximity to humans in ag areas and urban surroundings, they are totally adjusted to human scent. They have learned when it presents danger and when not. The strength of the odor in relation to them, is the biggest factor ! Scent is more important in wilder areas where deer are not so used to it, and do not come into daily contact with humans.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
              With deer living in such close proximity to humans in ag areas and urban surroundings, they are totally adjusted to human scent. They have learned when it presents danger and when not. The strength of the odor in relation to them, is the biggest factor ! Scent is more important in wilder areas where deer are not so used to it, and do not come into daily contact with humans.
              Where I grew up hunting, the deer had little if any human contact. They were an unbelievable spooky!
              Scent OR motion and they were gone.

Comment

The only way I know for sure that I have spooked the deer is when I see those white tails bobbing away.
                I have no way of knowing if they left five minutes before me because of my scent.
                They don't leave me a note:-))
                Hunt the wind.

Comment

Personal opinions here, I’m no scientist. I’ve killed a lot of deer and I’ve never worn HECS. Shot them from the ground and from a treestand, with a bow and with a gun, I’ve had them come directly under my stand and within 15 yards of me while hunting on the ground without a blind. If this “sixth sense” was real, or at least good enough to be concerned about, I don’t think a bow hunter without HECS would ever kill a deer!

As far as scent, most scent killers don’t do much to beat a deers nose, but I think it may confuse them just enough to get them to come a few steps closer or hesitate for a second before you touch the trigger. Sometimes I spray down with scent killer, sometimes I don’t. Sometimes I wash my hunting clothes with scent killing detergent, sometimes I just use water. Sometimes I use cover scents like acorns or Fox urine, sometimes I don’t. Haven’t noticed a big difference either way.

The only way to be sure they don’t smell you is to be downwind of the deer. But that’s easier said than done. Most of my hunting is done in the coastal pine savannahs of NC and the hills of WV. In both locations, I find that the wind swirls almost constantly, making it hard to setup in a location that the deer will never smell you. That’s the sole reason I use any of the scent killer methods that I do.

Comment

"... The only way to be sure they don’t smell you is to be downwind of the deer. ..."

In my few hunting spots, I generally have a single spot to set up a blind.
                    If I can get a box blind into the spot, I go that route. If it too remote or hard to get to, I'll use a pop-up.
                    I never worry about wind direction, I just hunt! LOL!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Wanna be a NYC cop?
                      by FirstBubba
                      My eldest started life as a jailer.
                      Natural progression was CLEET, city cop, county deputy, state police.
                      "I'm tired of getting beat...
                      Today, 06:00 PM
                    • Wanna be a NYC cop?
                      by FirstBubba
                      How do large metro areas ever recruit new LEO's?

https://www.redstate.com/alexparker/...-career-crimin...
                      Today, 04:02 PM
                    • Reply to Racism ??
                      by jhjimbo
                      99, I think I saw something about a contest in an e-mail. Always creates a lot of interest....
                      Today, 05:57 PM
                    • Racism ??
                      by jhjimbo
                      Every other word on TV is racism. My take on racism is everybody is, to one degree or another, a racist. My empirical evidence is every where you look....
                      09-14-2019, 06:02 PM
                    • Reply to Racism ??
                      by jhjimbo
                      Reparation's for slaves but then a deduction for room and board they received. Also, reparation's to the ancestors of Union soldiers who fought for the...
                      Today, 05:50 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X