No announcement yet.

Whaddya think?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, nice bruiser buck and a great home hunting story.
    I would love to see your trophy room if you plaque him.
    Your mounts must be all monsters.👍

Hey Honk, New Jersey had checking-in and weight-in stations for deer. They stop it about seven years ago. They recorded info and they would put a metal tag on the deer.
    The state tags black bears today with metal tags at weight-in and check-in stations.
    It is similar to an electrical plastic cable tie. The metal tag slides into the tag head and you pull it tight. New Jersey loaded with money thanks to all the damn high taxes.
    Last edited by Gary Devine; 07-08-2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Wow! Nice buck AmFlyer. Thanks for the great story to go with it. I really enjoyed every word.

Comment

Nice deer. I shot a 10pt in Michigan that had pushed a lot on the #1's and had them pointing at each other similar to yours. Congratulations! did your Dad get his ?

Comment

"Whaddya think?"

I "think" dog gone nice deer!

I "think" dog gone good Euro job!

Do you have a "Buck Bucket"?

I did my first Euro mount last year.
          I already have two shoulder mounts, gathering dust, coming apart , fading and generally looking bad.
          I don't have a power washer, but a trip to the local carwash did just fine.
          Probably $5 in quarters, but MUCH cheaper than a shoulder mount.

I went Euro because:
          1) A shoulder mount is over $500 and I'm a tightwad! LOL!
          2) I didn't have to wait a year or more to get my mount back!
          3) I did it myself!
          4) It may gather dust, but it will never fade, shed or look ragged!

Honk, in OK, with a "Lifetime License", you get a plastic card with your license number.
          I drilled a hole in a small piece of flat brass, borrowed my buddy's steel dies and imprinted the number on the brass.
          I keep small "zip ties" in my hunting pack.
          Deer can be checked online so I never go to a check station. They're getting harder and harder to find.

A game warden can check my kill by running the license number on the brass.
          I've been hunting up here since 2002. The only time a warden has checked me was when I lost my deer tag and called him to check my kill.

Comment

The king o’ drinks , as I conceive it
            Talisker ,Isla and Glenlivet
            Robert Louis Stevenson
            Nice bottle of scotch to end a fine day!

Comment

Great pics, buck and story!
              I think the metal tags are fine on antlers............that's how they're tagged.

In Indiana they used to metal tag the leg.
              Saved a bunch of em, different colors.
              Had finish nails on top edge of workbench cabinet, hung 'em up there.

Using Lee collet dies to neck size .243 cases, the snap over jostled the bench and all those tags rattled.

Enough one day I said screw it and threw em all in the trash.
              I do get bent now and then, or in "cleaning moods" and a lot of stuff ends up going bye bye.

Guess if I had a barn I'd have kept all my little racks and tags somehow.

Comment

Amflyer - Nice skull and rack, but I don't care much for the sun-bleached look on antlers.
                I believe some taxidermists use potassium permanganate and various other dyes to restore the original color, so it comes out looking something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                  Amflyer - Nice skull and rack, but I don't care much for the sun-bleached look on antlers.
                  I believe some taxidermists use potassium permanganate and various other dyes to restore the original color, so it comes out looking something like this.
                  Amflyer's antlers are perfectly normal colour. Anyone with much experience in this business knows that antler colour varies depending on how late in the year and/or how much "sharpening" the deer does to his antlers (he obviously shot his buck at the end of the season ... snow was on the ground). The taxidermist supply outfits sell stuff to rub on shed antlers to restore colour. Some taxidermists also use shoe polish (sparingly) to restore colour. I suspect Amflyer bleached the skull with peroxide but he obviously did nothing to change the antlers.

In my opinion, the antlers in your example are much darker than what one would normally expect to find in a natural situation.

Comment

Honker - You make a good point, except for the final sentence.
                    Early in the hunting season, a deer's antler tips are sharp and pointy, with the velvet freshly rubbed off.
                    But as time goes by, the points become more blunt and rounded, losing as much as an inch in length (and as many points in the scoring system).
                    From a cosmetic viewpoint, darker would be better, just as whiter would be better on the skull.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                      Honker - You make a good point, except for the final sentence.
                      Early in the hunting season, a deer's antler tips are sharp and pointy, with the velvet freshly rubbed off.
                      But as time goes by, the points become more blunt and rounded, losing as much as an inch in length (and as many points in the scoring system).
                      From a cosmetic viewpoint, darker would be better, just as whiter would be better on the skull.
                      Early in the season when velvet is being rubbed off is when most of the broken point brooming occurs. The antlers are often not quite yet completely bone when the buck/bull starts to sharpen. The big bull moose sheds we are in the process of mounting on a Euro reproduction scull had several points broomed off well before his rack was completely hardened. No clean breaks are visible, only the rounded stubs.

Some people think painting the skull with camo pattern is a "cosmetic enhancement." I believe it dishonours the animal to make the rack/skull look anything different than what it was when he gave it up. Most of my cap mounts have black or dark brown velvet covering the skull caps which somewhat resembles the natural appearance. We have recently been mounting our antler caps behind a very close cut sort-of velvet in a medium brown. The clients really like it.
                      Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 07-14-2019, 01:33 PM.

Comment

I personally leave my caps bone.
                        Not bleached, just scraped really well (like a day or so after the kill). Sanded if any nicks.
                        They turn pretty white and then darken just a bit with age.

Bit of work, use a sharp stiff knife (work away from you).
                        Done dozens.

Look fine to me. Even my ol lady says they're nice (she has them all around the back rooms).

Buddies have done similar.........in attempt. I dunno why, but mine are way nicer/cleaner than others I've seen.

Comment

Just checked the ones hanging around. Some have darkened quite a bit, but then they're 25 yrs old. Stuff 5 yrs old is quite a bit whiter.

The sutures having color does not bother me. Know some folks want everything white as can be.

Think I might grab a few beers n bleach and do some patio work whenever the weather cools.

Comment

Amflyer - I admire your taste in rifles.
                            I have the exact same model in 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser.

Comment

A few things about the euro mount and color: I had my taxidermist do the work, and although every says the same thing, this guy is pretty dang good. He did peroxide the skull. He specifically did not change the color of the antlers. Any variation in shade between the pics are likely due to exposure settings.

Antlers in this area are always this color. I've seen the dark horns, and to be honest, I think they look really sharp, but they just aren't natural for our animals.

OHH: I took that buck first day of rifle season (Nov.10) We had snow early this year; middle of Oct through April.

I tend to think of the big Manitoba bucks, and the Maine bucks as having the mahogany color. I remember P-H-W posting a pic like that.

99: the FWT rifles are pretty nice, and I like the stock shape. A Swede would be a nice caliber.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Only you can prevent forest fires!
                                by MattM37
                                Guess who will turn 75 on August 9th? Smokey the Bear!

What should we get him?...
                                Yesterday, 12:22 PM
                              • Reply to Only you can prevent forest fires!
                                by 99explorer
                                How about a nice big flood?
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Reply to Tipping Chart
                                by Happy Myles
                                99 in Southern California that is no joke, especially in swanky restaurants were they feel they might be discovered. You can spot them as soon as you...
                                Yesterday, 10:53 PM
                              • Hijacked tankers
                                by jhjimbo
                                Iran has 3 oil tankers (not ours) should we do anything ? What ? Be realistic, attacking the tankers would probably result in them being burned.
                                Yesterday, 05:50 PM
                              • Reply to Hijacked tankers
                                by 99explorer
                                The Iraniacs seem to feel that we owe them one since 1988, when a U.S. Navy missile cruiser accidentally shot down an Iranian airliner flying in Iranian...
                                Yesterday, 10:33 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X