Views:	229
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	709970Click image for larger version

Name:	20190624_200049.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	709971

2018 Nebraska whitetail euro mount.

Nice rack. Wait, I can use that phrase in this instance right?

Seems like Euro mounts are getting more popular. Makes me wonder if it's because of the prices of shoulder mounts these days or if it's a matter of practicality/space. Maybe both? There's been a number posted this past year.

So what's the story with this one Amflyer?
    Score, weight, cartridge used, distance? Inquiring minds need to know!

Comment

Very nice! I've done a couple of them and can appreciate the effort it takes to get one to come out that well. Details of the hunt?
      Last edited by PigHunter; 07-08-2019, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Someone did a good job on that one. Did they use beetles? My daughter uses them and they work well but it takes a while. She charges about $250 Canadian ($191 US).

This one was an interesting project. The guy threw the head up in a tree and four years later brought it to my daughter to see what she could do. Fortunately nothing chewed on the antlers. What flesh that was left on the skull was mummified shoe leather. Required a lot of boiling to carefully rehydrate and peel off the meat. I did most of the work. Not too smelly fortunately.
        Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 07-08-2019, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Trying to figure out what's going on with the antler button on the right. Almost looks like that buck had two, one stacked on top of the other. Can you post a closer image?

Comment

Very nice , I’m in agreement here details!

Comment

Nice buck, Amflyer.
              Personally, I would of done a shoulder mount on that beauty. I like the long G2's and G3's.
              No disrespect, but I do not care for metal game tag placed on trophy mounts.
              My metal game tags are placed in a drawer for safe keeping.
              JMHO

Comment

No disrespect, but I do not care for metal game tag placed on trophy mounts.
                My metal game tags are placed in a drawer for safe keeping.
                Gary, that's the loop where I had him tied up before the season.

Comment

OK, details, as mundane as they may be:

(Pretty much as-typed, no proofreading)

First day of rifle season, cold, with snow on the ground. As always, I had two tags that would allow a buck. One was for the best deer I could find, and the other was so I could keep hunting if I found one to shoot early in the week.

Set-up: I hunt a wild quarter-mile. It’s not big, but it is perfect for deer with really good areas surrounding it. I’ve been on this land for enough time that I have the “spots” pretty figured out. As we have discussed before, between my father and I, we have names for these spots, like “the sittin’ tree,” or “the office.” My favorite evening spot is “the corral,” and that’s where I’ve had the most luck through the years.

We had seen lots of movement, smaller bucks, does, throughout the day. My father is strictly a meat hunter, and it’s sort of an unwritten agreement that he lets me do the hunting for the first day or so, before he shoots, so as to keep things relatively un-riled up.

I had built a small ground blind that afforded a good view and shooting lanes overlooking a depressed bottom, with a ridge nearly surrounding it…hence “the corral.” Bucks usually feed towards me from the far end, maybe 250 yards away, so even through the thick trees, I can see the movement and give them an eyeball to see if they are a good deer. But the hunters surrounding the property have been strangely absent for the last couple of years, and the habits of the deer had changed. Last year, I had three good bucks come in from my 9 O’clock, where they are hard to see, and I do not have a shooting lane.

So, right around an hour before the end of shooting time, I got that itch. The itch that says you should move from your trusted, successful spot, and go into the open, losing all the planned shooting lanes, etc, gaining only one spot where you saw a bruiser last year. I guess I’m impulsive, and it was only the first day, so I moved.

There was no good spot to hunker down for cover, so I stood in a stand of dead trees, some fallen, some standing. As I was standing, I could at least swivel (slowly) to check a few spots. I tried to be slow and still, but I’m not the most patient stand-hunter.

I saw a few deer moving, and a group of does moved in from a position perfect for the spot I just moved from, of course. I recall there were a few forkies following. The twilight stillness was happening, and the wind really stilled.

I saw some movement from a spot that I didn’t normally get to see, but in my new spot, I could see that it was a buck; big-bodied, big antlers, but on first evaluation, I decided that being the fist day, I would likely pass. I passed up a 100 yard broadside shot accordingly. As the buck continued to feed towards me, I realized through the binoculars that this was a nice deer. Likely the second best deer I have ever had a good shot at. I changed my mind, and decided to take a shot.

But,

There wasn’t a shot. And the buck kept moving towards me, closer and closer. There wouldn’t be a lane until he was maybe 25 yards from me.

And there was another thing, too. I’m a fairly experienced hunter, and I don’t get “buck fever anymore.” Except I apparently do, and I definitely I did this time. Shots usually present themselves quickly where I hunt. Turns out, I’m just like everybody else when I have time to think about it. I remember feeling the pulse in my neck, deep under my jaw going faster, and faster, and that slight shortness-of-breath peculiar to hunting and first dates with pretty girls.

He hadn’t quite made it to the clear opening yet, when I realized that he was in a spot where if I shot well, I could sneak a bullet through into the vitals a little early. I really didn’t trust my spot and scent enough to wait any more.

I was hunting with a Winchester M70 Featherweight, walnut, blued, Leupold 2.5-8x V3, Timney trigger set at 2.5 lbs, otherwise pretty stock. It’s a 30-06, and I load R-P brass, with IMR -4831 and 165 grain Hornady SPBT’s for it.

Resting over a branch, standing, I made a good-enough shot, and the deer went down immediately. Through and through, took out the big vessels at the top of the heart.

Walking up on the buck, I was surprised at how big-bodied he was. Definitely mature, definitely a shooter, and definitely dead in the worst possible spot. Stuck in a ravine, marshy ground, with two creek crossings and a lot a grunting required.

I called my Dad for pictures and to bring the cart, and it just about kilt me getting him out of there. It was a headlight, sweating in the cold, lots of rests type of thing, and I earned my whisky at the end of the night.

(Talisker 10 year, if you wondered)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_15160.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	709988Click image for larger version

Name:	image_15162.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	709990

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181111_152225.jpg Views:	5 Size:	114.4 KB ID:	709991Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20181014_151453096.jpg Views:	5 Size:	65.1 KB ID:	709989
                  Last edited by Amflyer; 07-08-2019, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Great write up for a great deer. Thanks for that!

Comment

Thanks, Fitch. As to your question about score...I haven't a clue. He had one tine broken off on the left side, and a couple little funkies at the base of the right, but I'd still call it a 5 x 4. Math isn't my strong point, so I've never done the inch measurement thing.

Big hunting plans with the boy this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post

Gary, that's the loop where I had him tied up before the season.
                        Ah, that's what I was seeing that looked odd. Never heard of metal tags. Everywhere I have hunted they are made of special waterproof paper. I usually tie them on with flagging tape. I think mine was a bigger buck. Just doesn't look like it because me being such a huge guy distorts the perspective.

Comment

OHH, in Nebraska you don;t have to tag the deer with your license, only keep it with the carcass. During rifle season, they have check stations that collect info for research, and sometimes age the deer, collect lymph nodes, etc. The check stations put the metal seal on the carcass to show that it's kosher. My parents store was a check station for 30 years, so I leave the tags on my antlers for whatever reason.

PS: There's no way your deer is bigger. I'm actually 7'2 and weigh around 325.

Comment

OHH, in Nebraska you don;t have to tag the deer with your license, only keep it with the carcass. During rifle season, they have check stations that collect info for research, and sometimes age the deer, collect lymph nodes, etc. The check stations put the metal seal on the carcass to show that it's kosher. My parents store was a check station for 30 years, so I leave the tags on my antlers for whatever reason.

PS: There's no way your deer is bigger. I'm actually 7'2 and weigh around 325.
                            And just how small do you think I am? We must be related. My chin whiskers also went white first. Once upon a time I had a dark chocolate thick head of hair and beard. Now what little that's left looks like snow. Even the moustache has finally surrendered to old age. Sigh! Enjoy it while it lasts.

Comment

Thanks, Fitch. As to your question about score...I haven't a clue. He had one tine broken off on the left side, and a couple little funkies at the base of the right, but I'd still call it a 5 x 4. Math isn't my strong point, so I've never done the inch measurement thing.

Big hunting plans with the boy this year?
                              We don’t grow em very big around here so I’m not much for guessing scores myself. Was just curious though.

We did good with tags for Montana, myself my FIL and the boy all have big game combo tags. Booked the hotel for the night’s wait to get picked up by the outfitter and started checking out flights just last night.

Here at home I went a bit overboard and put in about 2+ acres of food plots. If things go well this fall we’re going to be freezer shopping.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Only you can prevent forest fires!
                                by MattM37
                                Guess who will turn 75 on August 9th? Smokey the Bear!

What should we get him?...
                                Yesterday, 12:22 PM
                              • Reply to Only you can prevent forest fires!
                                by 99explorer
                                How about a nice big flood?
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Reply to Tipping Chart
                                by Happy Myles
                                99 in Southern California that is no joke, especially in swanky restaurants were they feel they might be discovered. You can spot them as soon as you...
                                Yesterday, 10:53 PM
                              • Hijacked tankers
                                by jhjimbo
                                Iran has 3 oil tankers (not ours) should we do anything ? What ? Be realistic, attacking the tankers would probably result in them being burned.
                                Yesterday, 05:50 PM
                              • Reply to Hijacked tankers
                                by 99explorer
                                The Iraniacs seem to feel that we owe them one since 1988, when a U.S. Navy missile cruiser accidentally shot down an Iranian airliner flying in Iranian...
                                Yesterday, 10:33 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X