Location, Location, Location

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Location, Location, Location

I was reading with interest the article in the June/July issue of Field and Stream, "Welcome to The Whitetail Jungle," when I came to the part about when the rut occurs, south of Interstate 70, in and around the Everglades. Interstate 70? As a former Florida resident this got my attention. The Interstate 70 that I'm familiar with comes nowhere close to the "Glades." I'm sure it is a typo, but it sure took some of the gloss off the rest of the article.

I hope Mr Shea didn't have a problem finding his way back home.

Definitely a typo I'd say. He obviously meant I-75 which cuts right through "Everglades and Frances S. Taylor Wildlife Management Area."

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
      Definitely a typo I'd say. He obviously meant I-75 which cuts right through "Everglades and Frances S. Taylor Wildlife Management Area."
      That's a fun drive, 75 through the Everglades, "Alligator Alley." Gators basking in the grass right up alongside the highway.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

That's a fun drive, 75 through the Everglades, "Alligator Alley." Gators basking in the grass right up alongside the highway.
        Culd make having a flat tire interesting.

Comment

"Could" it really ? Just keep driving might be the best thing to do 😏

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post
            "Could" it really ? Just keep driving might be the best thing to do 😏
            I'm a lousy proof reader, but even worse when I'm not wearing my glasses. 😎

Comment

They have high fencing all along the highway, as I remember. It was '99 or '00 when I drove through there. We also visited the Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary, which has a boardwalk all the way through the swamp -- and not a very high one, either. There we saw gators just a few feet below us, with no kind of barrier. They did have rangers all over the place, making sure nobody was doing anything foolish

Comment

Just who or what were you referring to in the ‘not doing anything foolish’ comment Matt, the people or the gators ? I would only want to be walking the boardwalk after feeding time, and not too soon before desert either ! My preferred distance from gators is farther than seeing distance. Have they figured out a use for those things other than to make boots or purses ?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                  Just who or what were you referring to in the ‘not doing anything foolish’ comment Matt, the people or the gators ? I would only want to be walking the boardwalk after feeding time, and not too soon before desert either ! My preferred distance from gators is farther than seeing distance. Have they figured out a use for those things other than to make boots or purses ?
                  Foolish as in getting down off the walkway or maybe dangling your toddler over the railing, a'la the late Steve Irwin. I was really surprised when we got there and saw that there was no real barrier. One of the rangers told us that they occasionally have gators basking right out in the parking lot.

I hear that gator tail is pretty good eating. On that same vacation we had some deep-fried alligator in a restaurant, but like a lot of deep-fried food, all I could really taste was the breading and oil. Could have been chunks of carp for all I could tell.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gorsuch is correct.
                    by FirstBubba
                    I agree with longer sentences for crimes involving guns, but Justice Gorsuch is correct.
                    The Constitution makes no mention of crimes committed with...
                    Yesterday, 10:19 PM
                  • Reply to Gorsuch is correct.
                    by FirstBubba
                    "... Vague laws leave it to unelected attorneys and judges to determine what acts qualify as crimes, ..."

One must simply look...
                    Today, 07:39 AM
                  • High Velocity Politics
                    by jhjimbo
                    Can you believe the Democratic candidates have a whole 60 seconds to answer a question and say what they want tomorrow night and Thurs night. Wait, that...
                    Yesterday, 08:38 PM
                  • Reply to High Velocity Politics
                    by bowhunter75richard
                    Can you just imagine the more than two handfuls of D’s all trying to outdo the other ? How in the world will they be able to come up with enough lies...
                    Today, 07:34 AM
                  • Reply to High Velocity Politics
                    by crm3006
                    60 seconds is about 50 seconds longer than I want to listen to any of the current crop of demoncrat losers, liars, fakers, dumb-asses and has beens. I...
                    Today, 06:53 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X