Disappointing finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointing finds

The boy and I were turkey hunting Sunday morning, had one going for a half hour before it shutdown on us. We gave it awhile then made a half loop to try get him going again but nothing doing. It was time to head down for church (and Mother’s Day after all 😳) so we started to head down. Made it just a few yards and the boy says “look!”. Picks this up off the open ground. Always bummed to find deer remains on the hill, and this is the second small eight point in two years. There were no other remains with this skull which was probably dropped by a coyote. Last year we found what the coyotes hadn’t finished, he’d shed his antlers but one was about 25 yards away. Also had trail cam picks of him bedded down alive with the one antler, but you could see where the dogs had been eating him alive at the rear end. It was muzzleloader season at the time but he had what appeared to be an arrow wound on one shoulder. Makes me wonder what’s up on the surrounding properties. We have 3pt on one side antler restrictions here so this really stinks.

Been finding a couple myself. Think one was hit by a car since it was close to the road. Starting to wonder how lazy some hunters are they shoot it then can’t go find it. Also those coyotes are nasty seen some vids where they bring down a full grown buck like it was nothing. Not a fun vid to watch.

Comment

Take heart in this that has been my experience. If the land doesn't go through some big change then what was attractive to one big buck another big buck will also find appealing, keeping the flow of nice ones coming. Good bucks are like lays potato chips, they keep making more. Don't waste time on the ones that get away, save your excitement for those that are coming which you have yet to see.

Comment

I'm a "chip shot" hunter anymore.
        If there are any "variables", I just don't shoot.
        No running shots.
        No long range shooting. About 200 yards is "my" limit.
        No "hurry up" shots.
        Heck, I seldom take walking shots.
        Killing a deer isn't that important and the meat isn't a requirement.
        I shot 2 last year. I've still got loin! LOL!
        This seasons limit is "ONE"! ...if it's a nice buck! A doe only on the last day.

Honestly, I've lost a couple of deer.
        One crossed into forbidden territory.
        The others? Apparently, somewhere between the muzzle and the target, something "happened". Since I didn't recover the deer, I'll never know what happened.
        Fecal matter occurs.
        It's bad enough when old "Murphy" steps in and creates havoc.
        Taking unnecessary chances quite another.

Old Mitch mounted a scope on a guys .243 and sighted it in. It would drive nails.
        Opening day, a very unhappy gun owner came in his shop, mad as a hornet!
        "I shot TWO deer and they just disappeared! I don't know what happened, but I didn't get either one!"
        Mitch asked, "Did you go look where the deer were standing?"
        "No."
        The guys wife chimes in, "I told you to go out there and look."

Two hours later, the guy shows up with his two deer!
        He was driving around his property, shooting from his vehicle.
        If he didn't see the deer fall, he wouldn't even get out of his truck!

Comment

Bubba's story makes me think of a state-land "Day Use Area" nearby that has a big pond and some forest. This year, my first trip out there to fish, I saw two deer ribcages side-by-side over on the other side of the pond. Can't figure that out. It's a half-mile from the road, through plenty of woods where a carcass could be dumped, whether they were poached or it's an honest guy just getting rid of the bones after butchering last fall. Instead the carcasses are way out there, far side of the pond, right out in the open.

I wonder if those deer were just simply shot. There's a high wooded hillside right alongside that edge of the pond. I wasn't able to get over there and really look at the carcasses, but I wonder. Seems like slim odds that they died naturally and ended up right next to one another. I wouldn't be surprised if someone shot them, maybe sliced off some backstrap and hindquarter meat, and just left them there.

(Actually, now that I think of it, this is the same patch of woods where I met the man "Eddie" a few years back, if you remember that story. He was the guy who was building a shelter out there "because, well, I'm up in my fifties now and my folks are hopin' I get out of the house soon!" Maybe ole Ed has taken up bone collecting and that's one of his stockpiles. Yeah, I think I'll find another place to fish for crappies the rest of the year.)

Comment

SL: I’d forgotten about the one you found a little while back, what did you end up doing with it?

Dewman: Very true. We seem to have a bachelor territory on the hill with an average of 8-10 regulars throughout summer. Once mid October rolls around everything changes with some disappearing and others showing up. Usually a couple hang around but not as regular. Oddly after a decade of using trail cams I can only think of a couple that I knew for sure were from the year before.

FB: To this day I’m still not sure, but a bit over 20 years ago I shot at a doe that then crossed the tractor road on the hill. When I got to the spot there were over a dozen sets of tracks in the snow leading the way she crossed. I searched for 20 minutes or so and never found blood. Assumed I’d missed, couple days later the neighbor told me he’d found a dead one out past his house. Still bugs me.

Matt: If it’s a good spot for crappies I’d take my chances!

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              SL: I’d forgotten about the one you found a little while back, what did you end up doing with it?

Dewman: Very true. We seem to have a bachelor territory on the hill with an average of 8-10 regulars throughout summer. Once mid October rolls around everything changes with some disappearing and others showing up. Usually a couple hang around but not as regular. Oddly after a decade of using trail cams I can only think of a couple that I knew for sure were from the year before.

FB: To this day I’m still not sure, but a bit over 20 years ago I shot at a doe that then crossed the tractor road on the hill. When I got to the spot there were over a dozen sets of tracks in the snow leading the way she crossed. I searched for 20 minutes or so and never found blood. Assumed I’d missed, couple days later the neighbor told me he’d found a dead one out past his house. Still bugs me.

Matt: If it’s a good spot for crappies I’d take my chances!
              Fitch, unfortunately, none of us are perfect.
              Many years back, I saw a buck standing at the edge of a clearing, scratching his ear with his back foot. At the rifles crack, he took off running just like he hadn't been touched.
              He and several does circled around and finally came back into view.
              This time, when the rifle cracked, he folded up like a wet dish rag!
              When dressed out, the first round had done the job. The second round never touched him.

My dad shot a deer that left a blood trail a blind man could follow. We never found the deer.
              Another he shot, left one or two small blood drops. After a dog couldn't track the deer, they went back to where the deer was standing at the shot.
              About 20 feet from where the deer was standing, there was an inch thick sapling, perfectly centered by the .30-30. You couldn't see the sapling from the stand that dad shot from.

Stuff happens!

Comment

Dad used to say, there's a lot more room to miss one that to hit one!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Obstruction Question !
                  by bowhunter75richard
                  Is anyone else being bothered with the ‘page 1of 1 (or such) and filter, being brought down into the comment section and not remaining in it’s upper...
                  Today, 10:41 AM
                • Reply to Obstruction Question !
                  by bowhunter75richard
                  A rather perplexing issue isn’t SL ? After awhile you will start getting really heated up about it !! I kind of thought things were going along a...
                  Today, 06:43 PM
                • Sealed Drags vs Cork
                  by buckhunter
                  Not sure I like the recent trend of sealed drags in fly reels. IMO nothing beats a quality cork drag. Quality cork is hard to find and sealed drags...
                  Yesterday, 10:16 PM
                • Reply to Sealed Drags vs Cork
                  by Solitario Lupo
                  So many names for reels out you almost had me clueless on this but I understand that you like the cork washers for drags instead of a rubber washers....
                  Today, 06:20 PM
                • Peripheral Vision
                  by bowhunter75richard
                  we all know that most wild life have amazing peripheral vision. But, how about we humans ? How do most of you equate your side vision when on stand or...
                  Today, 07:39 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X