Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Killing their own -- deer killing does or fawns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Killing their own -- deer killing does or fawns

    Fitch's mention of tom turkeys possibly destroying nests, over in the Turkeys forum, got me to thinking about a video I saw once of a whitetail buck goring an apparently healthy doe until she collapsed and died. Ever hear of this, or see a similar video? Is it because the buck can sense somehow that a doe is not a healthy breeder, or is it because some bucks just go plumb crazy during the rut?
    Last edited by MattM37; 04-12-2019, 11:05 AM.

  • #2
    I have an old Realtree Monster Bucks video around here someplace where Brad Harris was filming and a buck poked and gored a doe because she would not let him breed to the point where she collapsed in a rain puddle and could not rise. I believe he said she later died. When I lived in Colorado there was an article about a big 6x6 bull elk that fought till he died of exhaustion with a metal road sign. I guess when it comes to sex male animals aren't any smarter than us. If food was scarce I don't see why females wouldn't fight over resources. If there isn't enough for everybody then that's how nature works right.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dewman View Post
      I have an old Realtree Monster Bucks video around here someplace where Brad Harris was filming and a buck poked and gored a doe because she would not let him breed to the point where she collapsed in a rain puddle and could not rise. I believe he said she later died. When I lived in Colorado there was an article about a big 6x6 bull elk that fought till he died of exhaustion with a metal road sign. I guess when it comes to sex male animals aren't any smarter than us. If food was scarce I don't see why females wouldn't fight over resources. If there isn't enough for everybody then that's how nature works right.
      Yes! That's the very same video I saw. In the late 90s when I worked in sporting goods at K-Mart, we had a Lohman game calls video playing all the time. I remember it was Brad Harris narrating that scene (I can even hear him saying, "And now, we'll see an ugly, cruel side of nature!"). I couldn't remember if he ever discussed a possible reason for what the buck did.
      Last edited by MattM37; 04-12-2019, 11:44 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        I met Brad Harris years ago when he worked for Lohman. We talked squirrels a bit as that distress whistle was just starting out and they made a handy little skinning tool too. Heard he got into rabbit dogs (beagles) hot n' heavy. I used the whistle one time in conjunction with shaking a bush to make it sound like a hawk got him and shook a bunch of seed ticks down on me. Lesson learned. It never really "called" squirrels anyway, calls seldom do, but it fires 'em up and locates their position fairly well.

        Comment


        • #5
          One winter my fellow Officer and I were finding fawns with their backs broke that we had to dispatch. We couldn't figure what was doing it until we saw a bunch of deer feeding under a tree and one old doe stood on her hind feet and brought her front feet down on a fawn's back and broke its back because it was feeding where she wanted to eat. She did it to another fawn after we had watched them feed for about 15 minutes. Deer are mean when they are competing for feed.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dewman View Post
            I met Brad Harris years ago when he worked for Lohman. We talked squirrels a bit as that distress whistle was just starting out and they made a handy little skinning tool too. Heard he got into rabbit dogs (beagles) hot n' heavy. I used the whistle one time in conjunction with shaking a bush to make it sound like a hawk got him and shook a bunch of seed ticks down on me. Lesson learned. It never really "called" squirrels anyway, calls seldom do, but it fires 'em up and locates their position fairly well.
            Actually, I got one of those distress whistles right around that time, and it did bring quite a few squirrels in on a dead run through the trees. I seldom had one just start barking; they would typically come tearing through the trees, sometimes stopping only when they were right above me, barking down, even if I was in plain view.

            Maybe New York squirrels aren't as smart as Missouri squirrels. Makes sense: I bet you've got a lot more squirrel-hunters down there. At age 47, I have known literally ONE other guy around here who ever goes out specifically for squirrels. And honestly, I don't do it much myself anymore.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

              Actually, I got one of those distress whistles right around that time, and it did bring quite a few squirrels in on a dead run through the trees. I seldom had one just start barking; they would typically come tearing through the trees, sometimes stopping only when they were right above me, barking down, even if I was in plain view.

              Maybe New York squirrels aren't as smart as Missouri squirrels. Makes sense: I bet you've got a lot more squirrel-hunters down there. At age 47, I have known literally ONE other guy around here who ever goes out specifically for squirrels. And honestly, I don't do it much myself anymore.
              Maybe I'm just not patient enough to give them a good chance to work. I know maybe a dozen or so adults who squirrel hunt with regularity, many youngins. If season didn't open Saturday before Memorial Day, same time as stream bass fishing, I doubt we'd have many here because come September on it's all about them deer.

              Comment

              Welcome!

              Collapse

              Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

              Right Rail 1

              Collapse

              Top Active Users

              Collapse

              There are no top active users.

              Right Rail 2

              Collapse

              Latest Topics

              Collapse

              Right Rail 3

              Collapse

              Footer Ad

              Collapse
              Working...
              X