Deer processor hair in meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer processor hair in meat

I have taken 3 deer to 2 different processors this past year. All the meat I received from them have contained hair. Is this normal. I'm not talking about a hair like every other pack, it is more like a dozen or more per package.

It's not normal around here. Maybe some high volume places with temporary help? I cut up my own but I'm in the minority of my bunch so if there was a lot of hair I would for sure hear about it.

Comment

I've killed several dozen deer and taken them to processors.
      I have gotten a hair or two.............maybe three times.
      I've also cut up several myself.
      Think that's the route I'm taking from now on.
      I get more steaks that way for some odd reason.

Comment

I used a processor twice, many years ago. I paid an outrageous fee, and did not get enough meat back. The Bookkeeper and I bought a grinder and a vacuum sealer, and started processing our own, and have done so ever since. Hair, silver skin, bone or lead chips are never an issue. Once in a great while we might find a hair or bone chip in a package, but not often.
        One of my hunting group even went so far as to build his own Meat House. It has heat, air, running water, and a place to store all his processing equipment and ice chests.
        I would recommend anyone process their own meat, for the simple reason that once I took a look at the cutting room of a processor. Yech!

Comment

Originally posted by Amc0825 View Post
          I have taken 3 deer to 2 different processors this past year. All the meat I received from them have contained hair. Is this normal. I'm not talking about a hair like every other pack, it is more like a dozen or more per package.
          I would think that to be very unusual and certainly not a good advertising issue for a processor. That would also lead me to have a concern for other aspects of sanitation of meat handling from such sources, jmo !

Comment

Hmmm, hopefully it was deer hair...............LOL

Comment

That's ridiculous. You should contact the owner. If it was an employee who was so careless, the owner would want to know about it. It's his name on the line.

If it's a one-person outfit, I'd still complain. That's your food. I doubt the butcher would go so far as giving you a refund, but you never know, he might honestly feel bad about it and throw you a good discount for next season. It's careless work, but if it was late at night and your deer was the umpteenth one he'd done since five that morning ... well, I can see it happening.

Of course, if he's a jerk about it, he'd never see another penny from me, and I'd use every resource at my disposal to spread the word on what a lousy butcher he is.

Comment

I have taken probably 10 deer to the Mennonite deer processor at Selma Alabama when I was hunting down there several years ago. Maybe I got a hair but it was rare. Now here in WV we have a professional butcher in our deer camp. We hang all our deer till Friday and then have butcher day. My buddy and I skin the deer with my 4-wheeler and quarter the deer and put it on the table, tenderloins too. From there the butcher cuts up the deer into steaks and burger. We have a tenderizer at camp and fire up the generator and tenderize the steaks and a couple of the other guys wrap them and label them. Usually the weather is cold enough to leave them outside till we go home Saturday. Once in a great while we may get a hair too but it is a rare occurrence . When I get home on Saturday it is ready to put in the freezer. Several years ago I took some deer meat to a processor in Maryland to have balony made. After I saw them dump the deer meat on a big pile on a concrete floor with all the other meat with blood and hair and use a bobcat to pick it up and put in the grinder that was the last for that place.

Comment

No not that much. A hair here and there does sometimes happen. When I do mine I have gotten pretty good over the years and have no hair in my own. My neighbor always quickly runs a propane torch over his to make sure there is not a hair he missed. If you have that much from a processor I would atleast get my money back. That quality would have me concerned about cleanliness also.

Comment

We would get all the deer together and set up in a double garage. A family member is a professional butcher, everyone else has a task. My Mother used to cook up the livers with onions and bring out a tray - that always hit the spot.

Comment

I have spoken with both processors and won't be going back. I'm going to have to find a local friend I can process with. I don't have the space at my house. I guess my dog is going to eat good.

Comment

I don't have the room what with all the woman crap cluttering the garage.
                        So this yr will set up a table on the patio and cut mine there.
                        Assuming I see anything worth shooting LOL

Comment

I have spoken with both processors and won't be going back. I'm going to have to find a local friend I can process with. I don't have the space at my house. I guess my dog is going to eat good.
                          Buy a fold up plastic picnik table and you can do it anywhere. I do mine right in my kitchen in early season when its warm.

Comment

Don't you hang it up for awhile?

Comment

Don't you hang it up for awhile?
                              I like to hang them for 4-5 days atleast but in sept when its 60-70 degrees I have no choice maybe quarter and refrigerate for a day or two

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad