Doe tags: Party permits?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doe tags: Party permits?

Mention of Sunday hunting made me remember the old party permits for antlerless tags. Are there any states that still do that?

Not being a gun hunter Matt, I am not sure of that activity here in Michigan. I know some are not in favor of ‘party’ hunting, but if the doe tags are given out in order to reduce the numbers, what difference should it make as if it is done through ‘party’ hunting or regular tags ?

Comment

NY allows you to consign dmp’s to other hunters, you can accept up to two of them. You can sign them back afterwards but they have to be signed and in possession of the person while hunting. I qualify for a landowner tag, which is nice as I can legally allow the boy to fill it.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
        NY allows you to consign dmp’s to other hunters, you can accept up to two of them. You can sign them back afterwards but they have to be signed and in possession of the person while hunting. I qualify for a landowner tag, which is nice as I can legally allow the boy to fill it.
        That was definitely a good move when they finally allowed the tags to be signed over.

Comment

In Alabama, we can shoot one doe each day of the season. But we're limited to only three bucks the whole season.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
            In Alabama, we can shoot one doe each day of the season. But we're limited to only three bucks the whole season.
            How exactly do they keep track of the doe take? I can see getting three buck tags, but the does must be on an honors system? Assuming you have to report them at least. Seems like it could easily be abused, but maybe no need to with that number of deer allowed legally.

Comment

Alabama has a mandatory game check system for all deer and turkeys taken. Abuse of the system does happen because there's not enough wildlife officers to enforce total compliance. However, taking deer in Alabama is not so easy because of our thick undergrowth.

Comment

MN still has party hunting, for both does and bucks. The only consideration is that members of the party must be hunting at the same time (generally speaking, I suppose someone could be sitting back at the cabin), and you cannot party hunt with tags valid for different "methods of take" (gun/crossbow and bow). In fact, the only deer that I have shot was actually tagged with my brother's tag, so that I could have a chance to fill my own later in the season (which didn't occur).
                -SSSOutdoorsman

Comment

The party permit in NY was 2 to 5 hunters depending on what zone you were in.. Problem was ONLY the person holding the permit could shoot the doe. When we thought the State was killing too many, the hunters would report deer taken that actually were not taken. The State (i.e. Insurance Companies) wanted the herd kept very low. There was a reporting system plus road side check stations.

Comment

Pa does a deer damage program for farmers, they get 1 tag per every 5-or 10 acres they own and have to allow public to hunt the program.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Illegals buying guns
                      labrador12
                      If 8 million illegals are trying to buy guns a year, what is the size of the illegal population? Is 10% of the illegal population armed? 50%? Are there...
                      Yesterday, 10:56 AM
                    • Reply to Illegals buying guns
                      fitch270
                      In other threads here you've argued against folks who use the "even one is too many" cry as being unrealistic. I'll hold you to the same standard...
                      Today, 12:49 AM
                    • New petition to sell Montana to Canada
                      99explorer
                      There is a movement afoot to sell the state of Montana to Canada for $1 trillion to pay off part of our national debt.
                      It would become South Alberta....
                      Yesterday, 12:27 AM
                    • Reply to New petition to sell Montana to Canada
                      fitch270
                      Wouldn't South Alberta be its own province?

There's been a "movement" to separate upstate NY from the NYC area for years. Fat chance...
                      Today, 12:09 AM
                    • Reply to Illegals buying guns
                      Harmonious Fulmination
                      In peak seasons Ellis Island processed over 5000 dirt poor migrants a day. And with those inadequate traditional families they made America and Americans...
                      Today, 12:02 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X