Deer disease?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer disease?

Tonight as I walked from my blind I spotted a doe laying in a right of way, I sneaked within bow range about 45 yards. She was bedded and looking right at me, so I drew settled the pin right behind her shoulder and let it fly. I hit her almost perfect just a little high, still in both lungs though. She got up turned and ran into the woods and out across the road. I waited a few and walked down, had no blood at all. So I made it to where I could see the road and there she was 35 yards standing. My arrow was on the ground beside her I could see the blue lighted nock. She didn't run just stood there. So I nocked another arrow and at 35 yards I let it fly. She was quartering away the arrow went in and stuck in the shoulder on the other side with one heck of a thump. She went about 20 yards and fell over. Perfect she was 30 yards off the road, so I dressed her out and loaded her up. When I got home I skinned her out and what a suprise. I can see every bone in this deer, the backstraps are almost not existent, I can clearly see all of the shoulder blades and the round of the back of the hind quarter I can wrap my hand around. Now is the question, Did the deer not make an effort to get away becayse there was something wrong? Does anybody know anything about CWD, it has not been found here yet but is in other parts of the state. I know they can act strangely with CWD, but what else does it do?

Sounds like liver flukes. Go back and find the liver if it's still there. Cut into it and see if there's any big white flatworms. Not sure where you live but if in a reasonably temperate zone with creeks and watercress, you may be looking at flukes. Deer are the secondary host, the corkscrew snails found in watercress being the primary hosts. Ungulates eat the watercress and ingest the snails. Fairly common in moose and I have heard of elk cases too so I suspect it can affect deer. The wasting you described is symptomatic. Save brain tissue and have it tested for CWD. Take a sample in to authorities ASAP.

Comment

Yea, looking back was what got me thinking because, the deer acted like it didn't care I was there after I shot it the first time

Comment

We got hit pretty hard in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia with "Blue Tongue" Probably over 75 deer found around over 2 counties. "Blue Tongue deer will always go to water. CWD had been found in the counties surrounding us but none reported here yet. If you find deer around or in the water you can bet it is "Blue Tongue"

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
          We got hit pretty hard in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia with "Blue Tongue" Probably over 75 deer found around over 2 counties. "Blue Tongue deer will always go to water. CWD had been found in the counties surrounding us but none reported here yet. If you find deer around or in the water you can bet it is "Blue Tongue"
          Yea I know ehd, it's to cold for that.

Comment

If you hit her through both lungs on the first shot there's a good chance the reason she didnt run was because she was about to drop dead.

If you're unsure about the meat make a call to your local game department and have them check it out. If there's an issue they'll want to know about it.

Comment

The "blue tongue" is caused by a bot fly so when the first frost hits it usually wipes these little bugs out. I have never found any dead later in the winter from blue tongue. I was still working as a Natural Resources Police Officer about 14 years ago when we found our first case of CWD. The county where my office was was the first place. After we found it we killed over 200 deer in that area and found over 40 deer with CWD. The bad thing is that it is more likely to be in big bucks than does. We killed some mature bucks and the CWD rate in them was staggering. I don't know if CWD deer are safe to eat the debate is ongoing. All I know is a deer farm in Pa. donated 2 deer every year to be ground up for a chili dinner at the local Fire Dept. They feed over 300 people and after the results came back one of the deer had CWD. Normal cooking won't kill the prion it takes over 1600 degrees to kill it. No one got sick from the fire Dept. chili feed.

Comment

Quite an epidemic of Blue Tongue in Montana a few years back. Two years in a row in fact. The dead whitetails were only bone piles by the time I arrived to hunt birds at the end of October. Yes, it's definitely way too late in the year for that to be a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                  Quite an epidemic of Blue Tongue in Montana a few years back. Two years in a row in fact. The dead whitetails were only bone piles by the time I arrived to hunt birds at the end of October. Yes, it's definitely way too late in the year for that to be a possibility.
                  We had it here honk. I believe back in 10, 11, and 12. One yearwas real bad, you couldn't drive anywhere with your windows down because the smell. That year i hunted hard because of my work shedule. In early bow, muzzleloader, gun, and late archery season I saw less than 20 deer. Around here it is possible to see that many in one day of hunting. I attended some seminars put on by the game commision and learned some stuff about blue tounge. Yes it is a very bad situation for the deer heard. Anyways I called and someone us coming to check it out.

Comment

You know honk, this is the second time I have had to call the game wardens, and I get no response. This is really starting to burn my @$$. The operator takes your number and says an officer will be in contact, yea right. I bet if I didnt pay any taxes one year someone would show up at my house then!

Comment

Originally posted by JasonT View Post
                      You know honk, this is the second time I have had to call the game wardens, and I get no response. This is really starting to burn my @$$. The operator takes your number and says an officer will be in contact, yea right. I bet if I didnt pay any taxes one year someone would show up at my house then!
                      Call your state legislator. He/she may get results if you explain the urgency. Isn't there a CWD hotline somewhere? Let's see ... try this one: (866) 293-9282 It might be for Florida residents only but if someone answers explain that you are unable to contact anyone in your state and ask them to help. It's a deer disease hotline on a Florida website but it's unclear if it's limited to only state residents. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Comment

Call your state legislator. He/she may get results if you explain the urgency. Isn't there a CWD hotline somewhere? Let's see ... try this one: (866) 293-9282 It might be for Florida residents only but if someone answers explain that you are unable to contact anyone in your state and ask them to help. It's a deer disease hotline on a Florida website but it's unclear if it's limited to only state residents. Good luck. Keep us posted.
                        I'm trying to contact board or something

Comment

Originally posted by JasonT View Post

I'm trying to contact board or something
                          Sounds to me that would be the best thing to do. If it didn't run the second time it would definitely get me thinking what's wrong with it.

Comment

So I contacted the regional office, they said the report is in so I asked for him to call me again. We will see

Comment

Ok so the warden was here. He said he believes it is chronic ehd, where the deer survive the disease initially but then a year or two later it catches up. Some deer recover and some don't. I knew some survive from it but I did not know some die slowly over a year or so time. He said take it out in the field and use it to hunt coyotes.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad