Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i always take 1 of my tree stands and leave it up all hunting season, would it be better for me to build a stand or a hunting ho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i always take 1 of my tree stands and leave it up all hunting season, would it be better for me to build a stand or a hunting ho

i always take 1 of my tree stands and leave it up all hunting season, would it be better for me to build a stand or a hunting house at that same spot.

If you keep hunting in that same spot leave it up. The deer and game around it will also get use to it being there so they will come closer.

Comment

I began to notice years ago that deer seemed to recon the semi-permanent ladder type wood stands we used. The stands were made of treated pine, they were comfortable and convenient so we would leave them up. While sitting on the stands we would see loads of typical young deer, some even milling about under the stand. But, I would notice older deer, particularly old does that would sneak up in cover and take a peek to see if something was different about the stand, i.e. if someone was on it. If they didn't like the looks of things they would sneak back out.

I began to use a climbing stand in the same area. I would spot the same old woods wise deer come up and take a peek. No one on the stand and here they would come. This happened time and again, so I began to use the old stands as a decoy so to speak. I would remove my climber each day after the hunt.

I shared this with my wife and other hunting buddies and after a little careful observation they noticed the same thing and the same results when changing to a non permanent stand.

I also shared this with a friend from South Texas. He smiled and said he had learned that lesson long ago when hunting from enclosed tower stands where a hunters head was visable. His trick... spray paint a milk jug tan, tie a chord to the handle, thread the cord through the top of an old cammo cap and tie the jug up to hang at the same level as ones head when hunting the stand. The jug moved and turned gently with the breeze. When hunting the stand simply untie the jug and replace it when you leave. The deer didn't notice a thing!

Comment

I would because the deer would come closer to the stand and they would get more used to the scent and it being there.

Comment

Put a rug or old carpet in the door so they dont see you if your at ground level.

Comment

Yea, the deer get more used to it, and if you build one, its pretty unsafe.

Comment

I think you should. I haven't done this yet but i do plan to.

Comment

If you can build a blind that is a little nicer and permanent then do it!! Then you don't have to worry about it getting stolen and the deer see it and are use to it being there year round.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad