Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ive hunted all my life with my dad ... i just recently got into bowhunting and absolutely fell in love ... but every time that m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summit229, you are correct. I was willing to shoot every doe I had in my sights but did not intend to shoot. My situation might also be different in that where I hunt I can take a doe anytime with my bow. We have either sex days and antlerless tags when rifle hunting but can shoot a doe with bow and arrow througout the season with a limit of two per day and 10 per season. I do not advocate taking aim on anything one is not willing to kill. I picked up this tactic from several different hunting shows and it has helped me maintain composure when I draw back on an animal that I am both willing and intending to shoot.

Comment

Thanks Sharkfin, and as I expected from the rest of your post that you were willing to take the shots.

Comment

I was a first time archer last season and I missed my very first deer, the second one however...she wasn't so lucky. I found it best to really mentally prepare myself for whatever. I saw the doe out at 100 yrds, i had time to watch her come in and almost anticipate what she was gonna do, what I was gonna do,how and when i was gonna draw, what shot i would take, angle, yardage, etc. I clouded my mind with all that rather than let my nerves take over with excitment. Hope this helps, and good luck next season.

Comment

Pick a spot. You need to have a drill that you use every time you practice. My drill is "S,D,A,P,R." The letters stand for stance, draw, anchor, pin, release. You need to make sure your stance is square. When you draw, keep it slow and steady. Once you have drawn your bow, you need too make sure your arm is not too loose or too tight,and that your full body is in the correct position. You then need to trace your pinto behind the deer's shoulder and pick atuft of hair to aim at. Keep aiming intensely at the one spot. Slowly begin squezeing the trigger like you would on a rifle. After you release, you need to keep your bow in-line with the deer or "follow throgh."

Comment

Agreed with Jim in Mo answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Pick out a spot on his/her body where you want the arrow to go and don't take you eye off it!

Comment

Pick out a spot on his/her body where you want the arrow to go and don't take you eye off it!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad