Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is the best place to find the really big buck and in what kind of terrain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the best place to find the really big buck and in what kind of terrain?

Where is the best place to find the really big buck and in what kind of terrain?

Thats a loaded question! Go for thick brushy areas in very out of the way places where the access is not easy for other hunters where the deer feel more relaxed from seeing so few people.

Comment

Yea, places where no other hunter wants to go. Big bucks are usually smart bucks, hunt smart.

Comment

Long before the season opens find the nastiest, thickest stuff in a rough remote area that people don't go to because its hard or I can't see far enough. Find an old trail and clear out a spot just off of it. I've sat as close as 5yds from a trail because any further and I wouldn't have a shot. Don't eliminate a spot because of ankle deep water. Those spots always have a high mound somewhere in there.

Comment

The biggest whitetail bucks are in the nastiest places known to man. You can’t even get on your hands and knees to enter these areas.

Both monster Mule and whitetail I watched them lay down and hunters walked within feet of them. One area I hunt, I look as far up this one trail as I go up this mountain ridge on my ATV and watch the does and small bucks lay down within 15 feet off the trail and soon as I pass by up comes there head!
          One of the things I learned, the deer will pattern you and the other hunting pressure and adjust their movements to avoid you or just move out of the area. That’s why I like to hunt on Tuesday thru Thursday s.

Comment

Malta and i don't know what terrain

Comment

In the areas I hunt (East KS and North MO) the no 1 place to look for big bucks is Cedar thickets. When the leaves are off everything else Cedar is still green and thick. Cedar is also my favorite tree for a stand if I can find one big enough. They have a strong but pleasant scent that might mask human scent and the limbs cover your outline. Deer never seem to bust me when I hunt from a Cedar tree. The 10 point I shot in 07 with my bow came out of a cedar thicket. My days off from work ar Wed and Thur so I can hunt when most others can't.

Comment

I agree with some posts above about finding the areas that are not pressured. Depends on what your limits are, maybe you don't have areas like that where your at.

Comment

years back i read in a F&S that along river bottoms is the best place

Comment

Thick creek bottoms. I do mean thick!

Comment

You can also find big bucks in overlooked places. A small patch o woods behind the mall or surrounded by posted land. Old deer get big. So find a spot where a deer can grow old. It's not always as far off the beaten path as you think, as long as hunting pressure is low.

Comment

Buffalo County, and also Kansas

Comment

The thicker the area the better your chances are of finding big bucks.

Comment

Thick brushy areas that less people are being around and Deer is usually abundant!!!

Comment

Thick brushy areas that less people are being around and Deer is usually abundant!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad