Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are Whitetails always seem more popular than Mule deer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are Whitetails always seem more popular than Mule deer.

Why are Whitetails always seem more popular than Mule deer.

they are flippin delicious

Comment

they have a wider range and are smaller bodied animals that are not affected by the heat and bugs as bad as mulies. On the flip side Mulies are bigger bodied and can handle the hard winters and mountainous conditions out west. This is my oppinion and only half BS.

Comment

white tails are more wide spread and more accesible

Comment

Whitetails are more adaptable and can live just about anywhere in North America. That's why you see every John, Dick and Harry planting food plots every spring from Maine to Florida, from New York to Oregon! Mule Deer cannot be fed like livestock and cattle. True they raid hayfields in the winter. But that is only because there is no forage for them when the snow is on the ground, they migrate to winter ranges like elk do. You can rarely hunt mule deer from a treestand or ground blind (unless you hunt private land surrounded by public land!). I would encourage you to hunt mule deer out west. Not at all like whitetail deer, spot and stalk with either bow or rifle. I would check out Public Land Mulies by David Long, or High Country Mule Deer by Mike Eastman.

Comment

Whitetail are a little smaller and taste a little bit gamier

Comment

Whitetails are more widespread, live in more areas, and have a larger population. Same reason largemouth Bass are more popular than say cutthroat trout. One good Mulie rack on the wall though can really make your whitetails look small.

Comment

Whitetail have a larger range across the US,and the areas that contain whitetails also have more people. Most magazines, including Field and stream are published in the eastern half of the US. Add this to the fact that in many states you can shot 2 or more whitetails and the season lasts several months. Out west you can shoot one mulie per year (in most cases)and the seasons for rife are about a week.

Comment

pumakitchen hit on a good point, as did everyone else. I feel it is a combination of range size, and restrictive limits and seasons on mulies. Most of our hunting population lives east of the Rocky mountains. The cost of a trip to one of the mountain states can be expensive. The length of season and draw type tag systems also restrict opportunity.

Comment

1.) They taste better. 2.) They are more abundant, i think. 3.) Mule deer live in hilly country and they can see from far away so they are harder to hunt. 4.) Whitetail deer just have cooler lookin racks I think.

Comment

they taste better and there is more of them

Comment

mdhager115, have you seen a trophy mule deer with a rack that scores over 180 or 190? Look at Eastman's Hunting Journal's website or Mossback's website, and you'll see some nice bucks and huge racks!

Comment

because theirs more whitetail than mule deers

Comment

More and easier access to white tailes.

Comment

I think that the wihttail are easer to get than mule deer.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad