Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am going to hunt my grandfathers land for the first time and I wanted to know a good doe to buck ratio. Also no one has legall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am going to hunt my grandfathers land for the first time and I wanted to know a good doe to buck ratio. Also no one has legall

I am going to hunt my grandfathers land for the first time and I wanted to know a good doe to buck ratio. Also no one has legally hunted this property in many years and am excited to have the oppurtunity. ARe there any good tips for management through population control in the south tn almost alabama area?

1:1 or 2:1 is the ideal ratio but id say 4:1 or 5:1 would be aceptable

Comment

I agree with bomberpride as to the ratio. If no one has hunted this area chances are you have a very large doe to buck ratio. You might have trouble managing the ratio if you are hunting alone depending on the size of the property and the area bag limits. You might want to get some friends you can trust to help knock some does out with you. Make sure you are shooting mature deer because very young bucks look just like very young does. You might also want to work on the genetics of the property by targeting bucks with decent body size but small or weird looking antlers and leave the good bucks alone for a few years. This point might be mute if you have a small piece of property surrounded by game management land. If there are clubs or other privately hunted properties surrounding you try to meet with those hunters to see if they will help by following the same rules. In the long run this philosophy will develop a stronger deer heard with more trophy quality deer providing they also have sufficient nutrition.

Comment

The game dept. of that state can answer that question the best.

Comment

A realistic doe to buck ratio is probably 3 or 4 to 1. Only on intensely managed ranches does it approach 1:1 or 2:1. Usually these are fenced or high priced 'hunts'. Ratio varies greatly by region and habitat. If this property hasn't been hunted it is probably way off, ratio wise. Shoot does and if you allow others to hunt there, insist they harvest a doe at least before taking a buck. Only allow them to shoot bucks that are mature or undesirable genetically. If you are going to hunt there annually, just have fun and feel it out the first year. As you learn more about the property and the herd, adjust your plan. Also, get as much info from Grandpa as possible. Even if he is not a hunter, he is most familiar with the place and it's inhabitants. Good luck.

Comment

Agreed with bomberpride answer above and A + 1 for you!!!

Comment

4:1 or 5:1 would be acceptable!

Comment

4:1 or 5:1 would be acceptable!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad