Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What state do you think has the most/best public hunting land where you have a great opportunity of harvesting a nice buck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What state do you think has the most/best public hunting land where you have a great opportunity of harvesting a nice buck?

What state do you think has the most/best public hunting land where you have a great opportunity of harvesting a nice buck?

Alaska has by far the most public land and loads of Sitka blacktails but I expect you mean Whitetails in the lower 48. Missouri has Mark Twain Nat'l Forrest which is huge and has good hunting. Kansas has many thousands of acres of private land open to the public with the WIHA program and many state owned reservoirs have good hunting. I have read there is very little in Texas (my son lives there). Can't really say about the rest.

Comment

Georgia has loads of public hunting opportunity both National Forest and WMA's. There are nice deer taken every year on public land. However there are specific hunts that are offered on Qualityt Management WMA's (open to resident and non residents) that produce some outstanding deer.

Comment

Like Beekeeper said, there are hundreds of thousands of acres open to the public here in Georgia. Friends of mine have taken very nice bucks from public lands. There are also quota hunts here in Ga. A quota hunt is where state parks and some lakes have drawings for a certain number of hunts each year. The success rate is very high, the problem is drawing one.

Comment

There is one huge area in maryland, but not sure as far as out of state.

Comment

hard to beat pennsylvania state game lands, my friend got a 10 point this year and a big 9 the year before. miles of game lands and in archry season its even better with less hunting pressure.

Comment

I can attest to PA archer88, have gone up there the last two years bowhunting, missed a nice 8 two years ago, and shot an 8 this year(was unable to find him). I enjoy the challenge of going somewhere new and trying to connect with a deer in 4-5 days without ever hunting the place before, so looking for a new place to try this year.

Comment

i like OHIO.

Comment

I've shot 28 deer in Georgia some were nice bucks but sorry guys Ga cannot compete with KS, MO, Ill, Ohio etc. My cousin Rick Jackson and Joey Floyd from GA cam up last year. You can see some of the deer we shot on my profile pics. Joey's deer was the heaviest buck I've ever seen. We have weighed many but did not get to weigh him. My guess is 250 field dressed.

Comment

I'm sure you can find public land in every state, but to find it with quality deer, you would have to go with the the usuals....Iowa and Kansas are two that I would try. Maybe even Nebraska. Another hidden gem is..........sorry you don't think I'm going to give all my spots away.

Like anything else, you put the time in to finding a good location, it will pay off.

Comment

If I were going Nebraska would get my vote.

Comment

I would say Ohio or PA would be your best chance.

Comment

Listen to Del and forget I ever said anything about Georgia. All we have are spikes and fork horns, I don't want you boys and girls to waste a trip!

Comment

Stay way from the Upstate SC the public land here is limited and therefore over hunted. If you work hard for it you will get one, but the chance of a real trophy are slim.

Comment

I live in iowa and i have watched some nice bucks come of the state land bordering ours.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad