Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i would like to know if some one can tell me how they like the 45/70 caliber for hunting white tail,i am thinking of getting one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i would like to know if some one can tell me how they like the 45/70 caliber for hunting white tail,i am thinking of getting one

i would like to know if some one can tell me how they like the 45/70 caliber for hunting white tail,i am thinking of getting one.thanks

I've got one and like the way it handles, its a marlin in a 45-70 guide gun I love the way it handles, short and fast. I have no deer carcasas to look at the terminal ballistics but I hope to have some this fall. My thing is if it works on buffalo it will definintly work for deer. Use the soft lead bullets for woods and if you want better go with the Hornady loads.

Comment

I have a Shiloh Sharps in 45-70 (simular to Quigley gun). Very accurate and will certainly kill a deer. Use it if you like the cartridge but there are lots of others that are better choices for deer.

Comment

45-70 is fine. but i would go with a good 30-06.

Comment

I shot my buddy's and loved it. Only shot targets but it's definitely a killer out to 200 yards (for me). Kind of expensive to shoot if you buy "off-th-rack" like I do, though.

Comment

I've compared the 45-70 to the 444 Marlin. I prefer the 444 Marlin over the 45-70 for range and knock down. Of course if you had a Ruger #3 in 45-70, you can load it up almost as hot as a 458 Win Mag. Bill Ruger tried to blowup one of his #3’s in 45-70 and melted the case and busted the stock in 3 places as the story goes.

Comment

The 45/70 is an exceptional deer round. The Marlin rifles operate at around 40,000 psi as they are chambered for the .444 round also. The standard factory rounds for the 45/70 are loaded in 25,000 psi range in deference to the Trap Door and other black powder actions floating around out there. They are considered some what feeble by modern standards. Even though a 300 to 400 grain bullet at 1200 fps is not feeble in the least at woods ranges.

I load all my 45/70 ammo. The round I use for hunting in a Marlin 1895 is the bottom load in the latest Nosler reloading guide for IMR 4198 and the 300 grain Nosler Partition. I was fortunate enough to find several boxes of these in a clearance sale! Very good bullet but very expensive now! Hornady's 300 grain bullet is a good one too as is thier LeverEvolution ammo.

My experiance with the 45/70 thus loaded is great. They drop deer like they have been struck by one of Dave Petzel's Eargersplittenloudenboomers and with very little meat damage! Try one you'll like it!

Comment

great round but a bit heavey for me as far as meat damage goes

Comment

lets put it this way they dont get up and run

Comment

I like that caliber in all the historic/replica guns. It's not necessary to go that heavy for deer, but it is a fun round to shoot.

Comment

It is great for the short ranges of dense woods and brush and places where you might get attacked by predators. Otherwise, you'd be better off with mebbe a 7 Mag or .300 Win Mag.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

45-70 is fine!

Comment

45-70 is fine!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad