Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which states have the highest popultion of whitetails? (Top 5)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which states have the highest popultion of whitetails? (Top 5)

Which states have the highest popultion of whitetails? (Top 5)

I dont know top 5, but one of those should probably be Pennsylvania.

Comment

I know that the midwestern states have a lot

Comment

this is a guess but i would say in no particular order, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Illinois, Missouri. These are agricultural states with plenty of food, but they are also more wooded than say the Dakotas. They Are also big states and big states will just have more deer than small states.

Comment

PA, MI are usually in the top couple.

Comment

If memory serves it is Texas #1. Alabama, Missouri Pennsylvania, and Georgia all have large herds also.

Comment

Total numbers I would say large states like Texas and Pennsylvania, I know in southeast Virginia there is a ton from personal experience growing up there, I have heard of farmers killing hundreds every year with damage permits and still having massive crop damage as a result of huge deer herds.

Comment

wisconsin would be my guess

Comment

I believe Texas has the highest popualtion with over 3 million. It also has the highest wild hog population at over a million. And in 2001 the Texas pecan crop weighed 75,000,000 pounds! My wife bought me a book for christmas with a bunch of useless facts about Texas.

Comment

Yep filled my pockets with pecans at the Alamo back in '82.

Comment

There is a park in Shawnee Mission KS that has 200 deer per square mile. They have eaten everything they can reach and the local liberals, Tree and Bunnie huggers won't do anything about letting bowhunters thin the herd.

Comment

If it is by deer per square mile I would think Maryland or a state that doesn't have a big hunter population

Comment

Texas and states in the East

Comment

The southern states have very high populations as does Texas. So do state like Michigan and Pensylvania. Population data can be deceiving. A better question may be which states have the highest deer density per square mile? We all might be surprised!

Comment

Texas is numero uno, according to Texas Parks & Wildlife Department. Most whitetail deer. If you've ever been here, and driven through the Hill Country when the rut is on, you'll quickly realize this is probably true.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad