Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can you tell buck tracks, from doe tracks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you tell buck tracks, from doe tracks?

How can you tell buck tracks, from doe tracks?

If you can see the declaw impressions it is typically a buck but this isn't always true.

Comment

look for two indentions directly behind the hooves, thos are dew claws and generally a buck

Comment

look for two indentions directly behind the hooves, thos are dew claws and generally a buck

Comment

i look at the width if its arond 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 inchers wide its usally a buck

Comment

I agree with Chris bucks food prints are usually wider, and the toes are slightly further apart. Depending on the terain, bucks tracks may be deeper.

Comment

Buck tracks are generally bigger. A good rule ofe thumb is that tracks longer than 4.5" are usually made by bucks. Also buck tracks are generally deeper dew to being heavier. This also means that the tracks may be splayed and include the marks from the dew claws.

Comment

I agree with what everyone else is say except this, areas with really heavy hunting pressure will have a lot of young bucks, old does. that's the way it is here. That being said big does have big tracks. Ofcourse if you find one that is 4.5 inches you've found a true monster! Usually those guys will sink deep enough that you'll see the dew claws

Comment

I always look for the indentions

Comment

I was always told that if the split in thier hooves are gapped so far than it is a buck and a does are more placed together

Comment

Dew claws, size and gap are correct but I think a doe is more likely to step into it's front track with the back hoof.

Comment

Does have wider hips and will step more to the outside of the tracks left by her front hooves. Bucks will typically track more on top of the front hoof prints.

Comment

look for the claw print at the back of the track.

Comment

Everybody took my answers above, but if all of that fails; follow the tracks until you jump the deer, question answered!!!!

Comment

I agree with kjflorian.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad