Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarge01
    replied
    Some of my friends have been discussing the late Heritage Season for the next 3 days. It is for antlerless deer, bucks or bear. We think it should be earlier for several reasons. Some of our bucks have already dropped their antlers. I shot a deer in the late antlerless season 2 weeks ago for a doe. It was a spike buck that had lost it's antlers. At the distance I shot it it was impossible to see the spots on his head. If it had been a big buck I could have seen the spots where his antlers had been. I is hard to tell a spike buck from a doe at a considerable distance when you can't see a straight on look at it's head. I hope maybe next year they will move the season earlier. The bug made up my mind for me not to go hunting helping me decide if I was going or not.

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    Flu big or something making the rounds.
    Been taking kid to medical appointments this week.............trying not to catch anything.

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    Gusty here. Some lawn stuff blew around.
    Supposed to get snow.........Sat.
    Might walk around with the .243 win Sunday..............see if a yote thinks I'm a dying rabbit.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    Well it looks like my gun season is over. I woke up sick yesterday and it is blowing and snowing. We made the national news this morning when they reported 60 MPH winds in our area. It blew my 4-wheeler trailer over the wheel chocks into the chain link fence between me and my neighbor. I am feeling rotten and plan on staying in for the next couple days.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    I just have to get the right level on my glasses, no problem with the peep sight. Still as accurate as I was 30 years ago. It might not make any difference anyway. Going up into our camp is practically straight up and rough. The weather service is calling for maybe 10 inches of snow and 40 to 50 mile an hour winds. If this comes I wont be able to get to my hunting area. Of all the times for a storm like this. Back to the muzzleloader my powder was fine because it was in a can where the atmosphere is controlled. The caps in the primer tool where they could get air were the ones that were bad. 15 years is a long time to be exposed to the air. I knew my powder was okay because I have been experimenting with my Pyrodex in my inline muzzleloader and had no problem with it. I have no problem looking at the peep sights as long as I have the right level and I have trained myself to do that over the years, I had to learn which level to use for my scopes too.

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    To answer prev question...........I hunt IN.
    If I buy a better vehicle will look into out of state hunts.
    Trying to limp my POS one more year.
    OK, maybe two.
    Hunting buddy has newer vehicle (better MPG too).

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    Also, IIRC your reg glasses will be for you looking straight ahead.
    Shooting might have you looking more of an angle.
    Might want to discuss possible differences and ultimately have a pair of "shooting glasses".
    Guys say "it doesn't matter".
    My buddy that shot 499 out of 500 in registered skeet said it does.

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    Doubt your Walmart Optometrist offers this service.............

but my dad called his, and brought his rifle in. Optometrist did measurements and whatever, and had a lens made. Went into pc that slid on eyebell of scope. Could move from one to another Leupold (if of same eyebell).

Was years ago, and worked great..............until my dad saw it laying around one day and figured it was something else and pitched it (he had given up groundhog hunting due to bad knees).

We still laugh about that stoopid move.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
    I tried the progressive tri-focals and when I was sitting at my desk they drove me crazy. I couldn't look sideways at the papers on my desk I had to turn my head straight at what I was looking. My Dr. just wanted me to try them but after about a week he put me in a pair with lines. That was about 30 years ago.
    The "progressives" have changed significantly since then. You might want to give them a try again. Go to Walmart with your prescription and order a cheap pair. See how they work before committing to anything glamorous and expensive. Try to get good sized lenses. For shooters the current trend in dinky lenses doesn't work with graduated bifocals. Not enough lens. I still use line bifocal because I shoot mostly shotgun and don't want to be looking at the barrel anyway. Definitely want the bifocal out of the way when using the rifle with scope. If I decided to get back into pistol shooting at targets, I'd get graduated bifocals. Everyone tells me graduated are the bee's knees for working on computer. Easier on their neck.

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    On the bright side, 9.5 months til bow season

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    FWIW when I shot MZ I bought new caps and powder every year.
    No problems with ignition.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    I tried the progressive tri-focals and when I was sitting at my desk they drove me crazy. I couldn't look sideways at the papers on my desk I had to turn my head straight at what I was looking. My Dr. just wanted me to try them but after about a week he put me in a pair with lines. That was about 30 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
    Usually all of our deer seasons are over here in West Virginia by this time but the DNR instituted a Primitive weapon season Jan. 10 to 13. Only side lock percussion or flintlock muzzleloaders are legal and only recurve or long bows. It is buck , doe or bear. I have only killed one deer this year and that was a doe in our late antlerless season. Saw a couple of bucks but none I wanted to shoot. I got my old Euroarms Hawken out the other day and cleaned it up which didn't take much because it was spotless when I put in the gun safe over 10 years ago. I have used an inline since then, I am going to the range tomorrow to make sure it is still on target. I wear trifocal glasses and cannot see open sights anymore. I installed a peep sight ( which is legal) and now I am deadly with it. I shoot 385 grain Hornady Great Plains bullets and 90 grains of Pyrodex. I have killed over a dozen deer with it in the past. Looking forward to Thursday for a great hunt.
    Lots of guys I know with the old tri-focal problem have switched to graduated bifocal and say they work better. When shooting my Highway Patrolman S&W at the range a few years back (in Montana), I had to take off my glasses to shoot it. Good thing the range owner didn't see me doing that. But it worked. Very well.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    Good thing that I took the old percussion rifle to the range. I haven't shot it for over 15 years and the percussion caps I had have gone bad. The ones in the capper wouldn't go off and the ones in the original tin about 1 out of 3 would go off. Bought a new tin of caps on return to town.

Leave a comment:

• JasonT
    replied
    Originally posted by CD2 View Post
    Windy, I didn't go bowhunting the last day today. Goofed off at home and made a late run to range.
    Moving scopes around, I had to re zero the 700 ..243 win.
    Its back on. Boresight had it on the 1" target dot at 50 yds.
    But I didn't tap turrets so took a couple extra at 100.

Figured out I need a diff scope on my 10/22. Am fighting scope/ring/stock stuff.
    Current scope (VX1 2-7X) not parallax set for 50 yds.
    Had to dial it down to 4X for 25 yards.
    Still shot .5" w CCI which did about an inch w 12X AO at 50 before.
    Put that scope in my Signature Zee mediums and it looks too high, and is hair high for my cheek weld.
    Rifleman lows it looks better, but is just a smidge low for my preferredn cheekweld,.
    I don't like having to get down hard on the stock, or have head up, like it somewhere in the relaxed middle.
    Reg Zee in medium are slightly lower, but would mandate a 40mm objective to look right.

Could run it as is, and just get stock w lower comb.
    Stock I have it a BR type stock so no doubt shooters would be running larger objectives.

Wish the Leupold 3-9X Freedom rimfire had reg duplex reticle.
    The freedom EFR 3-9X does, but is 33mm.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Wish somebody made a synth sporter stock. Fajen used to. Can't find one LOL
    What state you in cd? In pa we have dec 26- jan 12 with either a bow or muzzleloader. Only thing is muzzeloader has to be a flintlock. Wish we was like mississippi primative season, I could use my 35 whelen. With the rain here last few days I would have to carry a lighter to set my gun off.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad