Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you wear gloves while field dressing game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DENIMKATY
    replied
    Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
    Mine are the reusable "Big Game Gut Glove". This will be my 4th season xender discord omegle to carry them in my field dressing kit. I purchased the extra large gloves at the deer expo in Birmingham. You can also order them from the website below. They are by far the best gloves I've used for field dressing and are easy to clean even 24 hours later. I like the almost to-the-armpit coverage. Pigs can be very nasty!

Years ago I never used gloves but an experience field dressing a gut shot pig cured me of that! It was on a high hill with no close water or any other way to clean my hands other than wiping them on dead leaves or my clothes. Now I take wet wipes and plenty of tissue as well as gloves!
    I'm calling my congressman and demanding that scientists be made illegal.
    Last edited by DENIMKATY; 08-24-2019, 04:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TheGDog
    replied
    Hellz to the BLEEP Yeah I DO wear gloves! Are you kidding me? Just think of them as cheap insurance. You have No Idea WTH kinda tough microbes might be out there evolving every day. No Thanks. I know my luck, Jack. That's why I put the gloves on!

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    In the area of bacterial infections a common bacteria is E.Coli. This bacteria is one of a group called Coliforms which are found in the large intestine of humans and a lot of animals. There are many types of E.Coli, some are harmless, others are deadly. If a animal is processed by a professional and there is no puncture of intestines chances of getting E.Coli are low. The problem is when contents of intestine get on the meat. Then the only defense is cooking to a high temp.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_strains_of_Escherichia_coli. I try raw ground beef that I know comes from a professional butcher. I would not do that from a inexperienced person.
    Raw ground beef would be "steak tartare." In the process of grinding, the outer surface of the meat is blended with the interior portion and may not be decontaminated by the frying process. That risk is not present when the piece of meat is intact when fried.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    In the area of bacterial infections a common bacteria is E.Coli. This bacteria is one of a group called Coliforms which are found in the large intestine of humans and a lot of animals. There are many types of E.Coli, some are harmless, others are deadly. If a animal is processed by a professional and there is no puncture of intestines chances of getting E.Coli are low. The problem is when contents of intestine get on the meat. Then the only defense is cooking to a high temp.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_strains_of_Escherichia_coli. I try raw ground beef that I know comes from a professional butcher. I would not do that from a inexperienced person.

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    ...and you guys still insist on eating your venison rare to medium rare????
    THAT...my friends is insane!
    If it ain't well done, I ain't eating it!
    eww, that's where I draw the line bubba. Venison is safe to eat medium rare.

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
    Here is a commentary on the progress of medical science in American hospitals:
    the 440,000 dead people killed by preventable hospital errors wish to disagree.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    There is so little fat in venison that when it is cooked well done, it is like shoe leather. I believe the presence of pathogens in venison is less likely than e.coli, and there is some risk of e. coli in eating ANY ground meat cooked rare. But it is so slight as to be negligible. I'll take my chances on rare venison steaks.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Honk, You are not up to date on transmitted disease. Years ago two Texas hunters died from eating deer contaminated with CWD after a trip out of State for deer.
    The death threat from parasites is rather low but you will hate the treatment.
    The evolving threat are the viruses that are coming out of jungles where the monkeys are carriers. You have heard of them in the news. Many have demonstrated the ability to jump from animal to human and the humans have no resistance to them at all so they can easily be fatal. Remember Ebola ?? CDC has outposts in these remote jungles to get a heads up on a virus that seems to pose a threat. They try to contain the area and set up contamination hospitals for the infected.
    There are literally thousands of viruses that have the potential to balloon at any given time.
    Viruses are likely to be the cause of the next pandemic. Bacteria are second on the list of deadly. A relative was recently hospitalized for a MERSA infection that started on the inside of her elbow as a little red dot the size of a pencil tip, there was no, I repeat NO break in the skin. She wound up in the Hospital for three days with a IV of a cocktail of the 'strongest' antibiotics known to man. These are the drugs that if they don't kill the bacteria, they will kill the patient. Deadly poison in your body. She survived and they have no idea where the bacteria came from.
    Honk, you should study up on these as things have changed a lot since your 1900 experiences.
    The Somali's are gonna blow up Honk before any goose disease gets him! LMBO!

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Honk, You are not up to date on transmitted disease. Years ago two Texas hunters died from eating deer contaminated with CWD after a trip out of State for deer.
    The evolving threat are the viruses that are coming out of jungles where the monkeys are carriers. You have heard of them in the news. Many have demonstrated the ability to jump from animal to human and the humans have no resistance to them at all so they can easily be fatal. Remember Ebola ?? CDC has outposts in these remote jungles to get a heads up on a virus that seems to pose a threat. They try to contain the area and set up contamination hospitals for the infected.
    There are literally thousands of viruses that have the potential to balloon at any given time.
    Viruses are likely to be the cause of the next pandemic. Bacteria are second on the list of deadly. A relative was recently hospitalized for a MERSA infection that started on the inside of her elbow as a little red dot the size of a pencil tip, there was no, I repeat NO break in the skin. She wound up in the Hospital for three days with a IV of a cocktail of the 'strongest' antibiotics known to man. These are the drugs that if they don't kill the bacteria, they will kill the patient. Deadly poison in your body. She survived and they have no idea where the bacteria came from.
    Honk, you should study up on these as things have changed a lot since your 1900 experiences.
    The two Texas hunters probably wore gloves when they gutted that contaminated deer and they still died. If/when bird flu arrives from Asia via Alaska, we will know about it well in advance of any personal risks of infection from hunting. I'll probably stop hunting at that point. As far as some deadly virus mutation developing unannounced and infecting me before anyone knows it exists, that probability is even more remote than getting hit by a piece of reentry satellite debris. I'm not like the guy they stopped at the border here last year who had seven handguns concealed in various locations in his 23' motor home, including the toilet. When asked why so many his response was "You never know when an intruder will try to take you out. I might be taking a dump." He tried to get across without declaring them. They became some rather expensive scrap metal. I'm not afraid of improbabilities. Driving my car to the grocery store is more dangerous. In fact, there's a relatively high probability it will kill me. But I don't plan to give it up.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Dougfir
    replied
    I wear shoulder length gloves with little ones on over the hands. I feel silly, but I can gut any critter and come away with completely clean hands and arms. Pretty handy for $1.50 especially when I then have to drag that deer quite a ways, probably stopping to eat, drink, text, etc. on the way. I don't think I'd be scared to gut without them, though..

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
    It was not that long ago that television commercials for cigarettes were done by doctors.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Originally posted by Pray- hunt-work View Post
    When I lived in Wyoming I got a call at about 7:30 one evening asking if I could make my way out to standing rock about 16 miles from the house via some pretty rough two track and help gut and load an Elk. I explained that I was half way through a nice dinner and didn't wish to ruin my wife's evening but would head out ASAP when finished. I made it out back by around 9:30 to find that this young lady had gutted said bull with surgical precision and had blood no further north than her wrists. I was very impressed.
    If you cut the critter's throat, you don't have to reach in very far to pull out the windpipe.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to China Virus
    by CD2
    Am at major hospital complex right now, w a piece of paper w my signature on it claiming Im not sick ( four boxes of symptoms checked no ).
    Today, 11:53 AM
  • China Virus
    by jhjimbo
    Many Cities now under total quarantine. Suspected origin is the live animal market that served bat soup....
    Today, 11:12 AM
  • Reply to How Do I Know ???
    by CD2
    Im just waiting on my Ukraine board of directors job appointment.

Smooth sailing after that, barring knocking up any strippers
    Today, 11:46 AM
  • How Do I Know ???
    by jhjimbo
    How do I decide who to vote for in the November Election ? Easy, just look around at the squalor in the Cities that have been controlled (raped) by...
    01-19-2020, 12:03 PM
  • Reply to How Do I Know ???
    by rock rat
    bubba if what I say is so confusing to you maybe it's you that are mixed up, or a tad touched.

Jimbo, I know Trump loves his tax cuts,...
    Today, 11:41 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X