Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you wear gloves while field dressing game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
    Good point. There should be a law against this. I'm calling my congressman and demanding that scientists be made illegal.
    HERE, HERE!

Comment

I use gloves, if I've got them.
      My problem is I end up with blood up to my elbows!
      I can't afford those elbow length gloves.
      I normally just grab a couple pair of exam gloves when I go to the doctors office.

Comment

I use surgical latex gloves anytime I skin a rodent or swine, but for deer and winged creatures I never have.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
          Been cleaning birds and beasts bare-handed for fifty years and still haven't picked up any bugs. I hate doing anything with gloves on. I see these guys at the range with fancy shooting gloves on and wonder how/why they do it. Especially when it gets up into 80s and 90s like this week. Ugh! But I think a few of the fellas just have the buying sh*its when it comes to gear. One of them had to show off his fancy new boots last week. Because they're called "Wingshooters" he was convinced these are exactly what I need for my Montana pheasant hunting excursions. Number one problem: they have moccasin toe design which is marvellous for catching and retaining moisture. Also notorious for splitting at the seam. No thanks. Then I asked to see the soles. Maybe they'd be fine for walking across flat corn/wheat fields (or shopping malls) but he'd be on his arse with that meagre tread in the rough country I hunt! But those boots look like something some rich guy with a Parker SxS would wear ... in the 1950s. And the price of this retro boondoggle boot? Let's see ... $220.00 US. Put the right outdoorsy name on a sack of dog crap and it will sell. But only if it's hunting dog crap.
          Shooting Gloves are to prevent blisters on the hands of Businessmen or Doctors,Lawyers.people of means! Don't be a Hater, Because your tighter then bark on a tree with a Dollar! LMAO......The Canadian way.

Comment

I started using nitrile gloves about twelve years ago. You can get all you need or want at Harbor Freight for a very reasonable price, and I keep a box in the cleaning shed for others to use. First time hunters seem to appreciate it. About the only game I clean any more is deer and hogs---a turkey or two if I'm good and say my prayers and am kind to the less fortunate.

Comment

I get lots of free ones from works, so yeah I use them. If I didn't have them I would buy them, and if I forgot to buy them I would go without them.

Comment

Been cleaning birds and beasts bare-handed for fifty years and still haven't picked up any bugs. I hate doing anything with gloves on. I see these guys at the range with fancy shooting gloves on and wonder how/why they do it. Especially when it gets up into 80s and 90s like this week. Ugh! But I think a few of the fellas just have the buying sh*its when it comes to gear. One of them had to show off his fancy new boots last week. Because they're called "Wingshooters" he was convinced these are exactly what I need for my Montana pheasant hunting excursions. Number one problem: they have moccasin toe design which is marvellous for catching and retaining moisture. Also notorious for splitting at the seam. No thanks. Then I asked to see the soles. Maybe they'd be fine for walking across flat corn/wheat fields (or shopping malls) but he'd be on his arse with that meagre tread in the rough country I hunt! But those boots look like something some rich guy with a Parker SxS would wear ... in the 1950s. And the price of this retro boondoggle boot? Let's see ... $220.00 US. Put the right outdoorsy name on a sack of dog crap and it will sell. But only if it's hunting dog crap.
                I don't know if its psychological, but I shoot handguns better with tight-fitting golf gloves. The shooting gloves I've tried have too much padding in the palm.
                And when I'm fixing to shoot a particular gun for the first time, I wear a pair of heavy leather work gloves.

Comment

Geez, Honk is in a good mood today.

I wear nitrile gloves for all game. BTW, if you wear cheap surgeons gloves that are powered, if you start getting a rash take them off. The powder is not sterilized.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                    In my Younger Days,I would Field Dress my deer with out gloves leave a gut pile and place a stick in the rib cage to let it cool @ 25deg it didn't take long.I didn't think parasites could live in cold weather! But when i moved to Fl, 70-80deg Hunting season, I was told about parasites on Hogs & Deer,That's when i started to have them processed! just shoot & drag them and i still do.
                    Trichinosis cyst lives in the flesh of pork, beef, deer, bear and probably others. It is transmitted by eating undercooked meat. It matures to a worm and if it gets to your heart and you are treated with drugs for it, the worm can die in your heart and be deadly.
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis

Comment

Here is a rather complete list of disease that can be a hazard for hunters. Also, of interest to Safari hunters there is a list of disease from Africa. Long list but broken down by specific disease. Information straight from the Vet Association

https://www.avma.org/public/Health/Pages/Disease-Precautions-for-Hunters.aspx

Comment

I don't use gloves

Comment

pighunter, I've seen hogs lay in a broad open pasture all summer, rotting away.
                          Nothing touched them except flys and maggots.
                          Not buzzards.
                          Not coyotes.
                          Maybe skunks and possums, I didn't get that close! LOL!
                          On a rare occasion, I see buzzards on a road kill hog. Most road kill pigs just lay there and rot.

Comment

I hear ya Bubba but that doesn't happen in the coyote infested woods I hunt. Wait a week or two and you won't even find hair. My guess is the coyotes haul off all the bones to their dens.

Comment

There's a range of diseases which can be picked up from game, but that isn't the only reason I prefer gloves. There's also the risk of contaminating the meat with hands that I may not have had a chance to wash, and there's getting them clean afterwards too, without necessarily having access to any more water than what I have in my Camelbak. Hands transferring blood to my gear, especially my rifle (it rusts steel) are also a factor.

It is just so easy to have some disposable surgical gloves in my gear, slip them on to do the job, then pull them off inside-out and take them out with me. Neat, clean, no mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                                In my Younger Days,I would Field Dress my deer with out gloves leave a gut pile and place a stick in the rib cage to let it cool @ 25deg it didn't take long.I didn't think parasites could live in cold weather! But when i moved to Fl, 70-80deg Hunting season, I was told about parasites on Hogs & Deer,That's when i started to have them processed! just shoot & drag them and i still do.
                                Thanks jimbo 10,000 cases a year of Trichinosis across the U.S. mostly in poor areas!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Turkey Hunting Newbie
                                  by MattM37
                                  The only new thing I can add to what the other guys said is, After you pattern and find your most effective load, choke, and range, make sure you can...
                                  Today, 01:32 PM
                                • Turkey Hunting Newbie
                                  by Big5ully9
                                  I am looking to do some Rio Grande turkey hunting this spring at Black Kettle WMA in Oklahoma. I have a Remington 870 Express that I want to use. What...
                                  Yesterday, 04:14 PM
                                • Reply to 40 year old rookie
                                  by Danbo
                                  I started hunting when I got married the wife’s family got me started
                                  Today, 01:19 PM
                                • 40 year old rookie
                                  by Coach79
                                  Anyone else out there get into hunting later in life? I started in September of 2019 at age 40, and shot my first deer last week with a crossbow. So....
                                  Yesterday, 09:12 AM
                                • Reply to Get Off Social Media
                                  by Danbo
                                  Foreign governments have always spent money to influence elections not just Russia ! 99 do you fish?
                                  Today, 01:17 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X