Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you wear gloves while field dressing game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you wear gloves while field dressing game?

Scientists have identified a least 28 internal and external parasites in whitetail deer, plus Lyme disease and EHD. If you have any scratches on your hands or arms, you risk exposure to all kinds of bad stuff.

Good point. There should be a law against this. I'm calling my congressman and demanding that scientists be made illegal.

Comment

Mine are the reusable "Big Game Gut Glove". This will be my 4th season to carry them in my field dressing kit. I purchased the extra large gloves at the deer expo in Birmingham. You can also order them from the website below. They are by far the best gloves I've used for field dressing and are easy to clean even 24 hours later. I like the almost to-the-armpit coverage. Pigs can be very nasty!

Years ago I never used gloves but an experience field dressing a gut shot pig cured me of that! It was on a high hill with no close water or any other way to clean my hands other than wiping them on dead leaves or my clothes. Now I take wet wipes and plenty of tissue as well as gloves!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
        Mine are the reusable "Big Game Gut Glove". This will be my 4th season to carry them in my field dressing kit. I purchased the extra large gloves at the deer expo in Birmingham. You can also order them from the website below. They are by far the best gloves I've used for field dressing and are easy to clean even 24 hours later. I like the almost to-the-armpit coverage. Pigs can be very nasty!

Years ago I never used gloves but an experience field dressing a gut shot pig cured me of that! It was on a high hill with no close water or any other way to clean my hands other than wiping them on dead leaves or my clothes. Now I take wet wipes and plenty of tissue as well as gloves!
        I have read a number of horror stories about hunters having fingers and hands amputated because of infections caused by exposure to animal guts.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

I have Clorox wipes in my truck and fast orange but I do wear a pair of those yellow dishwashing gloves because of the added grip, I don't have any knives with the good rubber handles. I wear meat cutting gloves when I cut up meat in the kitchen. No matter how cold I always strip down to sleeveless before I gut. Only takes a minute or too.

Comment

I do. I never cared about the "real men" do this or don't do that theories; just never was that insecure. I remember when this topic came up a while back and it got pretty heated. Don't really understand why. It's just a personal choice, like any other precaution or preference. I personally like minimizing the risks of bloodborn pathogen transmission. I always pack out the used gloves, too (just recalling when a certain fellow user didn't believe those of us who said we used them but didn't leave them in the gut pile afterward.).

Comment

In my Younger Days,I would Field Dress my deer with out gloves leave a gut pile and place a stick in the rib cage to let it cool @ 25deg it didn't take long.I didn't think parasites could live in cold weather! But when i moved to Fl, 70-80deg Hunting season, I was told about parasites on Hogs & Deer,That's when i started to have them processed! just shoot & drag them and i still do.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                In my Younger Days,I would Field Dress my deer with out gloves leave a gut pile and place a stick in the rib cage to let it cool @ 25deg it didn't take long.I didn't think parasites could live in cold weather! But when i moved to Fl, 70-80deg Hunting season, I was told about parasites on Hogs & Deer,That's when i started to have them processed! just shoot & drag them and i still do.
                Even in freezing temperatures, internal pathogens are alive when the animal is freshly killed.

Comment

A trip to the ER or a Doc trying to find the problem will be $$$$. I would rather buy a new Gun.

Comment

Been cleaning birds and beasts bare-handed for fifty years and still haven't picked up any bugs. I hate doing anything with gloves on. I see these guys at the range with fancy shooting gloves on and wonder how/why they do it. Especially when it gets up into 80s and 90s like this week. Ugh! But I think a few of the fellas just have the buying sh*its when it comes to gear. One of them had to show off his fancy new boots last week. Because they're called "Wingshooters" he was convinced these are exactly what I need for my Montana pheasant hunting excursions. Number one problem: they have moccasin toe design which is marvellous for catching and retaining moisture. Also notorious for splitting at the seam. No thanks. Then I asked to see the soles. Maybe they'd be fine for walking across flat corn/wheat fields (or shopping malls) but he'd be on his arse with that meagre tread in the rough country I hunt! But those boots look like something some rich guy with a Parker SxS would wear ... in the 1950s. And the price of this retro boondoggle boot? Let's see ... $220.00 US. Put the right outdoorsy name on a sack of dog crap and it will sell. But only if it's hunting dog crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                      Been cleaning birds and beasts bare-handed for fifty years and still haven't picked up any bugs. I hate doing anything with gloves on. I see these guys at the range with fancy shooting gloves on and wonder how/why they do it. Especially when it gets up into 80s and 90s like this week. Ugh! But I think a few of the fellas just have the buying sh*its when it comes to gear. One of them had to show off his fancy new boots last week. Because they're called "Wingshooters" he was convinced these are exactly what I need for my Montana pheasant hunting excursions. Number one problem: they have moccasin toe design which is marvellous for catching and retaining moisture. Also notorious for splitting at the seam. No thanks. Then I asked to see the soles. Maybe they'd be fine for walking across flat corn/wheat fields (or shopping malls) but he'd be on his arse with that meagre tread in the rough country I hunt! But those boots look like something some rich guy with a Parker SxS would wear ... in the 1950s. And the price of this retro boondoggle boot? Let's see ... $220.00 US. Put the right outdoorsy name on a sack of dog crap and it will sell. But only if it's hunting dog crap.
                      ???? OHH, the question was about gloves, not boots. Come to Alabama and stick your hands into enough feral pigs and I bet you'd start wearing gloves too!

Comment

I usually do wear gloves. I use the thin surgical gloves, then roll them inside out and throw them away after each use. I've butchered hundreds of animals without them in my lifetime but why take chances, especially here in the south where temps are high enough to keep nasty organisms alive.

Comment

Yeah, I suppose. Or I'd just shoot and leave the stinking filthy disease ridden vermin on the ground for bird food.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't fault you for that and have even done it myself. A week later there's nothing left, not even bones if coyotes are in the area. Seems every scavenger likes free pork!

Comment

I haven't in the past, but lately I've been using the nitrile mechanics gloves occasionally at work and like them. Probably should get a few pair to have at home.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad